Airport Experiences in SoCal

We could have lucked out, but had no problems on arrival, getting to rental car facility and to DL. Same story with the return by shuttle. TSA and entire process was really quick. We did do both on Saturdays though. I would prefer SNA because of the shorter drive, but with airfare savings going into LAX versus SNA, LGB or ONT would do it again. Not anytime soon mind you because of DL crowd levels and the disaster that is Genie+ but LAX was not bad for us at all.

We could have lucked out, but had no problems on arrival, getting to rental car facility and to DL. Same story with the return by shuttle. TSA and entire process was really quick. We did do both on Saturdays though. I would prefer SNA because of the shorter drive, but with airfare savings going into LAX versus SNA, LGB or ONT would do it again. Not anytime soon mind you because of DL crowd levels and the disaster that is Genie+ but LAX was not bad for us at all.
Thanks for posting this! We usually fly into SNA, but this trip was booked a little last minute and it was a lot less to fly LAX. Leaving later this week and glad to hear it can be ok (but prepared for it not to be!)

I guess international travellers to DL tend to have no choice but to fly into LAX. We have to grin & bear it. Hopefully once the new people-mover transit service gets going it'll improve.

I do prefer SNA for Disney specific trips.

It’s smaller the amount of flights are fewer which means less people, less congestion at the ticket counters/security/luggage carousels, and simpler navigation through the building.

However for general LA area visits I do prefer LAX as they more options, for flights, hotels and transportation to multiple locations around the LA area. But the cost of that is congestion, lots of people, lots of traffic and honestly a bit less happy of a vibe.

I mean most people flying into SNA are probably Disney/attraction bound. I rarely have encountered grumpy people.

LAX, well let’s just say there have been some not magical moments. 🤣

I just flew out of Long Beach for the first time yesterday and wow was it a nice experience. It is a small airport, my Uber ride was about 28 minutes from Harbor Blvd. The Uber was more expensive that SNA usually is but maybe that was the time of day (early morning). I usually try to use SNA but Long Beach is worth looking into. LAX is only if it is much cheaper or better times.

I just flew out of Long Beach for the first time yesterday and wow was it a nice experience. It is a small airport, my Uber ride was about 28 minutes from Harbor Blvd. The Uber was more expensive that SNA usually is but maybe that was the time of day (early morning). I usually try to use SNA but Long Beach is worth looking into. LAX is only if it is much cheaper or better times.
We love Long Beach. It is our airport of choice and is often cheaper than SNA.

I love LGB and SNA for DL and recently flew into Burbank for the first time for an USH trip. Burbank reminded me a lot of LGB and when I land I feel like I should be wearing cat eye sunglasses and a super hip outfit.
Burbank is a cute little airport! We fly into it sometimes when our DD is performing. We're flying down in June to see her show at the Pantages in LA, and we opted to fly into (and stay in) Burbank. I've flown there a few times when going to DLR but mainly because I've been going for other things and decided to include DL while I'm there.

Once I went with my friends and visited Forest Lawn cemetery to see the Disney plot, did a special Disney Studio Tour, and ended with a dinner at Walt's table at the Tam O'Shanter. That was a fabulous trip! There are many other things not far away and convenient to Burbank airport.

Your trip sounds great @DizMe ! I adored Burbank. We stayed at Coast Anabelle (free hotel parking in LA – what??) and walked over to eat at the Tallyrand (twice!) and Donut Prince. You can tell just from the Tallyrand’s street sign that they have been there a long time and that the food is good. It looked like a place that Walt would have dined. We did some vintage shopping on Magnolia Blvd – Playclothes Vintage is amazing! Anyway, to keep this airport related, for various reasons we flew out of LAX on that trip and I say avoid LAX at all costs!

Your trip sounds great @DizMe ! I adored Burbank. We stayed at Coast Anabelle (free hotel parking in LA – what??) and walked over to eat at the Tallyrand (twice!) and Donut Prince. You can tell just from the Tallyrand’s street sign that they have been there a long time and that the food is good. It looked like a place that Walt would have dined. We did some vintage shopping on Magnolia Blvd – Playclothes Vintage is amazing! Anyway, to keep this airport related, for various reasons we flew out of LAX on that trip and I say avoid LAX at all costs!
OH MY GOSH!! Thank you for that recommendation! I didn't know about the Tallyrand, but I looked it up and watched the Huell Houser episode about it (I love his shows!). Do they take reservations? I want to go when we're there in June! And you're right about it being a place Walt probably would have liked. I read this on a blog by the Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics (it's from 2017)--"The Tallyrand is a restaurant that’s spoken about in revered tones by many of my colleagues at Disney. Located close to our offices in Burbank, it’s a classic American diner where our fellow cast members have been eating for decades…" https://www.eataku.com/post/164354798786/tallyrand-burbank-ca

And back to airports, I think Burbank is a really nice little airport that's quick and easy to use.

The food was sooo good, everyone in our group raved about it. I don’t believe they take reservations, we just walked in both times with no wait. I got excited about eating there while doing my obligatory pre-trip ‘walk around the hotel area in Google maps using the yellow man’ before even seeing it in person. Again, the street sign was just preachin’ how old and good it must be. And yes, it’s about a ten minute walk to Disney Studios.

And back to airports, I also like SNA because if you are so inclined you can take the OC Bus there from Harbor & Katella for $4 a person.

Adding my 2 cents for those flying into the dreaded LAX. It was great! Arrived Wednesday 6:45p. Took the shuttle to LAX-IT. Uber was less than an hour and $134+ tip. We were drinking fruity drinks at Tangaroa Terrace by 8:45p.

Coming back today, we rented a car from Pixar Place and made a couple of stops on our way. We arrived at the rental return at 3:15 and we’re at our gate by 4.

Experience here has been better than SEA.

I would still choose SNA or LGB if I can, but it definitely wasn’t my the nightmare others have had (and I do believe you all!). It can be ok!😃

Adding my 2 cents for those flying into the dreaded LAX. It was great! Arrived Wednesday 6:45p. Took the shuttle to LAX-IT. Uber was less than an hour and $134+ tip. We were drinking fruity drinks at Tangaroa Terrace by 8:45p.

Coming back today, we rented a car from Pixar Place and made a couple of stops on our way. We arrived at the rental return at 3:15 and we’re at our gate by 4.

Experience here has been better than SEA.

I would still choose SNA or LGB if I can, but it definitely wasn’t my the nightmare others have had (and I do believe you all!). It can be ok!😃
Glad the airport was easy to navigate. How was the rest of your trip?

Glad the airport was easy to navigate. How was the rest of your trip?
Oh, thanks for asking. It was fantastic! I don’t normally do just a 2 day, but I was going with my sister (who really isn’t a Disney fan and this trip didn’t change her mind) and her kids, so we knew 2 park days was the limit. My little guy (8) is finally big enough to close down the park. I got to do Hyperspace Mountain for the first time and we got some Pixie Dust and rode RSR with just a 25 min standby wait. And I stayed at DLH for the first time in 9 years!

Planning a trip to California and Hawaii next year. Coming from Montreal (YUL), no other choice than LAX but our plans are not to go to Disneyland right away but to rent a car and visit SEKI first. We will finish our Californian leg of the trip at DL before flying to Hawaii (first Big Island and then Oahu but no Aulani). Anyone knows if other airports than LAX have flights to Kona?Return flight will be from Honolulu to YUL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter