Airport bag searches

gaps33

Earning My Ears
Has any one had bags searched at the airport? Are they good at repacking and do they open the ziploc type bags? Any tips on packing for self DM, DD and DS 15?;)

Just had this conversation with a friend who flew in from Vegas. She has been travelling a lot recently and has been searched every time. I told her of my plan to use zip loc bags so they could just take them out and I could more easily repack the bag and she felt that I run the risk of having to take everything out of each bag - she said they were very thorough and removed everything from her carry on each time, even shaking and checking each vitamin bottle (she's a mid-60s, gray haired woman travelling alone). Not starting a complaint thread because I'm grateful when security is thorough, but don't think I'll pack the way I had planned in my carry on knowing this possibility, since I was only doing it to make it easier for a possible search to begin with. I'm only going to carry on a change of clothes for each of us, our toiletries and our bathing suits.

OK. . . on second thought. . . my sister just told me that recently she did pack her carry on items in zip lock bags and was glad she did. She said security just took all the zip lock bags out, felt and looked through them (she only packed a couple of things in each) and then she was able to easily toss all the bags back into her carry on - so I think this is my plan once again!:rolleyes:

I haven' flown since 9/11 so my question is do they just search randomly carry on bags or are they searching your checked luggage as well? I don't pack anything of value I was just wndering.

My experience is limited to a recent trip from Houston to Las Vegas, but here is what I observed:

If you check your bags at the curbside checkin (most airports have this running again) you might have your checked luggage opened and searched. Houston Hobby didn't appear to be doing this, but McCarran in Vegas did.

At the gate, when boarding the plane, they randomly search about 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 passengers. If selected for this search (we weren't, but I watched quite a few) they take everything out of your carryon and/or purse, camera bag whatever. They take off your shoes and search them. They make you empty your pockets of EVERYTHING. They are pretty efficient though.

VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Keep your ID out and handy at all times. You will be required to show this at least 3 times from luggage checkin through boarding. If you are flying Southwest, who doesn't assign seats, you must show it an extra time to get your boarding card, and everyone must show theirs individually to get the cards. (your spouse or SO cannot stand in line with your ticket and ID to get the boarding passes) GET THERE EARLY!! and bring something to do/read because you WILL be sitting around a lot.

In a little plastic sleeve on a cord while going through the airport. I just hang it face-down so that all I have to do is flip it over. The Magellan's catalog is now selling a little leather folder on a cord for just this purpose, but I think my $.75 plastic version is just as good. Be careful of keeping ID loose in a shirt pocket; it can fall out if you bend down to get anything.

As soon as I arrive at the airport I take everything else out of my pockets and put it in the carryon, so that it will go through the x-ray securely.

I think zip locs will work well. Even if they have to open them, it will be easy for you to repack

I think the most important thing is not to overpack any one bag. It will take you a while to get it all back in there! Check more suitcases with less stuff in each one. It seemed like they were checking people who had bigger or overstuffed carry ons. I packed one small bag with essentials, which for me were ticket wallet with ID & car reservation info, books, water, glasses, PDA & cell phone, food & tickets. The PDA & cell phone headset/charger were in a zip loc, my snacks were in another. It wouldn't have been difficult for them to search it.

I was fortunate to not be searched in my 3 flights 2 weeks ago, but I saw it happen to others. My friend (different travel route) had both her checked bag & carry on searched on both of her flights.

Maybe you could pack one small bag with change of clothes & stuff you don't need on the flight for all of you, and put that in the overhead. Then take a small tote bag for the in-flight stuff. Give the bags to different people & they shouldn't all be searched.

I want to thank everyone for all theses ideas. It will make it much quicker for me and the family. I haven't been anywhere since 9/11 so this has been a big help.

Thanks for all the advice, it's not so much the carry on but the checked stuff. The thought of carefully packing everything where it won't get creased and then someone just pulling it all out and the just stuffing it back bothers me. I am going to use the zip air bags for stuff like undies etc. but I wear all cotton blouses and shorts so don't want to have to iron it all again when I get there.

I flew from Atlanta to Houston and had one of my 2 checked suitcases gone though. They actually broke the zipper pulles in an effort to get the lock off. It was one of those 5 for a $1 locks so I cant believe they couldn't just pick the lock instead but oh well.

They did repack everything prettu carefully which I was very greatful for as it had all my dress clothes I needed as soon as I got off the plane in an unwrinkled condition. I also had my toiletries in ziplock bags and those were seemingly undisturbed.

My husband is a transplant patient and we always travel w his meds in a back pack as carry on- we are talking about 10 to 16 different medication vials- is this going to cause a few raised eyebrows thru security? We are thinking of getting a note from his doc listing meds/doses and basics of his medical condition if it would help. Any opinions on this?

Also we are travelling w my teenage sister-in-law who has totally different last name than ours - we have paper tickets because of this - she is also a child of a split legal (mom has physical ) custody . She has permission from Mom to travel but would we need written permission from Dad too just so it doesnt cause problems leaving the airport since she does not have an ID of any kind yet (15 yrs old)? Or would an ID of some kind be a better route ?(Dad is not a nice guy at all ... would rather not have dad be a part of this - she can legally leave state long as it is not permanent residence)

I have some time to figure this out but wanted opinion of others - THANKS!!

... so she would not need to mess with the permission thing if she had her own ID.
As far as airlines are concerned, for domestic flights, there is no requirement to match kids with the proper adults once they hit 12 yo. I'd have her mother take her down to the DMV and get her a state-issued ID card.

One thing you will need from Mom, however, is written permission to have you authorize medical treatment for her if she needs it. Hospitals must have the express permission of a parent or guardian before treating anyone under 18. The signed statement should give your names and authorize you to consent to treatment for the minor on her (Mom's) behalf.

As long as your DH has copies of the Rx labels for his meds, there should be no problems about that. (Probably won't be anyway, but it's good to carry the copies in case of medical emergencies, of course.)

Letter from mom for Dr. or hospital should be notarized or it is not a legal document also get mom to give you her insurance card or you will have to pay for any treatment. If insurance is HMO make sure what hospitals/Drs you can use. Good luck and enjoy.

My family went away on New Years Eve this past december. We were trying to pack lightly due to all the problems that we thought were ahead. We packed razcors, nail clipper and other "sharp objects" in with the lugs and placed them on top thinking that it would be avoided. Welll, because they thought they saw something in me and my mom's bag (we packed it together), they had to open it up and search it. My underwear, which was packed along the edges because of the overpacking, was all over, it was horrible. You can pack it in whatever, but if they feel that something is hidding, they will open it up anyway. So pack your undies safely...Happy flying

If they inspect your checked baggage, they do not let you repack it. I have had this happen twice. So don't overpack! The counter agent might not be as good as you at restuffing! I use the Eagle Creek packing cubes and the people at SW love me. They open the cubes, but getting all the squares back in the luggage is a snap!

DS (college age) went to Super Bowl with Dad. Dad travels a lot, I guess he had that "professional look" as he was never searched. Poor DS, he was pulled aside for "random searches" many times--he was carrying his backpack only....not smart!!

We're flying him to Disney from school next week, and this time he is armed with zip-loc bags for his "incidentals" and as requested by him, NO BACKPACK!! We purchased a soft carry-on bag for luggage, and hopefully he won't be such a "target" this time. I'll let you know how it worked!

My kids took 9/11 really hard. We are flying 13 hours to get to WDW and I am really worried that they are going to get their backpacks, shoes, etc. searched and get really freaked out. I know they need to search randomly, and we will deal with it if it happens, just wondering IF it happens very often with little kids.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer, I allowed each of the kids to take a backpack last November when we went to WDW. My kids are DD(13), DD(11), and DS(8 at the time). I told them to bring a notebook, markers, some books, snacks...that kind of thing. Well, at the Providence airport, DS's backpack sets off the alarms, and I was mortified to see them pulling out little metal cars, his coin collection, etc. :rolleyes: He apparently had no idea they were even in there, since it was an old backpack he dug out of the closet.

For the trip home, I had him pack all that stuff in a suitcase. The girls' backpacks never got searched, and DS's didn't get searched on the way home.

I think its up to the airlines with checked bags. Out of the Fort Lauderdale airport the counter next to Continental was checking all the bags. I just flew from Newark to Tampa and the only bags that were checked were my children's. All bags are put through the Xray machine and if they see something suspicious that is when they do a manual check. My son had a school scissor in his bag (doesn't even cut regular paper) and my daughter had a retractable lip brush that caused security to be alarmed. However, once home DH was unpacking his carryon (that just had toiletries) when he found a swiss army knife in one of the pockets- which is a scary thought because they passed it twice through the machine at Newark. We weren't even aware that we had it, the bag hadn't been used for over a year. Also, I noticed people who used e-tickets near the gate were checked (including removal of shoes!).

What are Eagle Creek packing cubes and where can you get them? I haven't flown since 9-11 either...

Leslie (DANG I love this board! :D )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter