Airmiles Armchair Chatter

tenor.gif

Yup, it was the entire Duck family that downgraded our Universal tickets. I had sent an email asking about this and received both a phone call and a written response saying no problem. However, since i didn't want to find out at the gate that it wouldn't actually work we had four 2 day 2 park tickets (not sure how they word that, but you get the idea) We had zero problem downgrading each to a one day 2 park ticket and received the difference on a gift card .. we ended up with about $400 according to my records that we used for all of our meals, extra snacks and a TON of souvenirs we would not have picked up. It was super easy and they gave us no grief over the fact that they came from Airmiles. I wouldn't hesitate to use Airmiles for this again but I'd probably still get 2 tickets to allow us "free" spending money.

Last edited:
I thought on this first day of the year we could play a little game of goal setting for the year (Airmiles wise that is). My goal for this year is 30,000AM and another 10,000AM on DH card. (he has 2000 coming from a CC offer as soon as he pays the car insurance)

Anyone else want to share their goals for the year (or do you just wing it and see what you can do).
My goal isn't tied to a specific number since we don't really have anything in mind to use them for anymore. Things still need to change before we'll head stateside which takes Disney and Universal off the table for the time being. IF we end up going to some all-inclusive resort we'll probably want to stay at the airport for one night, who knows! I'll be keeping my eye on the merchandise section because i LOVE getting things for free that i would normally not spend money on -- HELLO Max the Mighty Mixer :P

My goal?? To continue maintaining this thread and any promo based ones as well because it brings me joy and a sense of purpose in an otherwise, quiet & boring life! You are all my peeps and i love being a part of such a supportive community

My goal for this year is 10 000 cash miles to get a bunch of gas/grocery/starbucks vouchers to help with our trip down east this year.
But next year, I'm aiming for enough AM to pay for 4 flights out west and maybe even the rental car from Calgary to Vancouver.
But that wouldn't even be a possibility without this group!

Hmm - I just checked the Universal Orlando ticket rewards on AM and they don't have the 1 day 2 park ticket anymore... my husband and I are only going for the 1 day and I don't want to pay $400 out of pocket for that 1 day LOL. It was 2350AM which I guess works out to $250 per ticket... so maybe either way it's expensive!
What?!?! I was counting on this for our trip in August! I really hope this changes between now and then :(

Happy New Year everyone ! party:
My total was just over 6000 for the year, but I really only did the bigger promos and a few Blue Friday’s so I didn’t do too badly. We are moving this year and just bought a new house! With some major life expenses coming up and new home and moving related expenses there will definitely be a travel hiatus. But I think I will just be a savvy shopper and work the promos and save as much as I can toward an eventual trip, even if I just collect for a few years and then decide. So my goal will be to collect as many miles as possible with the goal of travel at some point down the road .

Hmm - I just checked the Universal Orlando ticket rewards on AM and they don't have the 1 day 2 park ticket anymore... my husband and I are only going for the 1 day and I don't want to pay $400 out of pocket for that 1 day LOL. It was 2350AM which I guess works out to $250 per ticket... so maybe either way it's expensive!

They do still offer those options, but they must be sold out right now. They have the 1-day, 2 parks; and 3 day, 3 park tickets. They don't offer the 2 day 2 parks anymore.

Okay, I lied. They do offer the 2 day, 2 park.
But I know I've seen the 1 day offer on there. I think it was around 2300 miles?

I just bought before Christmas (I got 2+2 free) but they had the 1 day then. They are likely just sold out..

My goal is to at least make Onyx to maintain merchandise and flight discount but then again I got 16k+ AM last year so I hope I can achieve something similar!

Our WDW trip is in November (finally I can say "this year"!) and we don't have any plans for upcoming Disney trips for the next few years. However I really want an immersion blender and a stand mixer so those will be my reward priorities. :)

After reviewing this weeks flyers I would like to downgrade my goals for the year to 12,000 AM for me and 6,000 for DH. I think January may become an eat through the freezer month (airmiles wise). It could be a difficult job collecting this year. I think some bean counters at the sponsors have been crunching numbers and figuring out our purchasing patterns.

500 AM this week at Sobeys, pathetic! You're not missing anything Mel.

Happy New Year everyone!! Hubs and I went to Vegas from the 26 - 31, had a blast, did some gambling, lost some money, lol!

Just checked our balances for 2018, card 1 - 23,219 and card 2 (opened specifically for STB) 2571, grand total of 25,790. I'd love to earn 30,000 for 2019, not sure if it'll happen or not. I went pretty hard in 2018 and was able to get $3,000 in travel vouchers for our trip to Greece in May 2019. We'd like to go to Mexico in December, 2019, but that will depend on the new program with Red Tag. My oldest will be 30 in 2020, so if Mexico doesn't pan out, we may save our air miles and put them towards a WDW bday trip for her.

In case anyone is interested, free dinning at Disney is being offered for stays from July 5th to September 30th. Must be booked by Feb. 10. I know some are already booked for their trips so if your date falls in this category you may want to look at repricing .

In case anyone is interested, free dinning at Disney is being offered for stays from July 5th to September 30th. Must be booked by Feb. 10. I know some are already booked for their trips so if your date falls in this category you may want to look at repricing .

I was trying to check this but keep getting Stitch ate the page. However, I am not sure I'd want to book by Feb 10 any way, and wonder if the Canadian discount tickets are a better deal any way (with perhaps a room discount?). I am hoping to go in August.

After reviewing this weeks flyers I would like to downgrade my goals for the year to 12,000 AM for me and 6,000 for DH. I think January may become an eat through the freezer month (airmiles wise). It could be a difficult job collecting this year. I think some bean counters at the sponsors have been crunching numbers and figuring out our purchasing patterns.

500 AM this week at Sobeys, pathetic! You're not missing anything Mel.

i really thought it was going to be blue friday this week! i’m leaving my goal where it is, but i’ve also decided i’m not shopping at safeway when i can’t earn decent miles. i’ll be cooking through the freezer this week too!

This is the first time we've done a binge of these movies and it was only the 2nd time we'd seen The Goblet of Fire
We are a family of Potter heads. Goblet of Fire is one of my favorite ones to watch. We binged watched New years Eve and New Years day!!!

Anyone else want to share their goals for the year (or do you just wing it and see what you can do).
I don't really set a goal for us. I can only get the bulk of my points from Safeway. I do participate in the Shell ones when I get an offer for the bonus 100 AM with 3-4 fill ups. We don't have rexall close to us unless I want to do a little road trip...and with crappy roads and winter here for 6 months of the year, I don't travel far alone. I also only purchase what we will use. I may top up a safeway Blue Friday with a couple of items for the local food bank...but I will try to limit that to 10-15 dollars max to meet the 100.00 threshold.
Honestly...I'm going to save the AM. We hit our goal to save 2000.00 in travel vouchers for the dd destination wedding in May. Hopefully I might be able to persuade the dh to do a trip to Universal as we are big Potter heads ( one is a fantastic Beasts lover ) so our boys can experience the Harry Potter parts of the park. They are also huge thrill ride junkies. So I know we will have a great time. But some day we will get there. Until then I will keep collecting.

You are all my peeps and i love being a part of such a supportive community
I'm extremely grateful for all you do for our little online community. Without this online community...many of us wouldn't have as many AM...So I want to say THANK YOU for all you do :hug: :grouphug: :goodvibes

Last edited:
I was trying to check this but keep getting Stitch ate the page. However, I am not sure I'd want to book by Feb 10 any way, and wonder if the Canadian discount tickets are a better deal any way (with perhaps a room discount?). I am hoping to go in August.

There’s a room only discount available right now too, sun and more I think is what it’s called. I’ve crunched the numbers based on room discount plus air miles tickets versus free dining and the numbers are coming out fairly even. (3 Disney adults) I think with alcohol being included we might go with free dining and enjoy hoppers and extra park days

Keep in mind, even if you book your not locked in so if your even thinking about it I would be tempted to book it and then decide if there is a better deal later. Once the offer is over, its over. No going back to rethink it once the rooms are booked up and the offer date is gone. Your probably getting stich because it is so busy. This offer just opened up and I would bet they are over whelmed with people checking this offer.
Not always the best deal, especially if booking a value resort and if there are only two in the room. Still, a good deal for lots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter