Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Thinking of using my miles to book flights to Vancouver and precruise hotel stay for next summer. I’ve searched using this summers dates to ballpark the miles required and I’m getting close. Just wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on adding travel insurance for my miles? I’m not comfortable sinking over 20,000 airmiles with no insurance of getting them back.

Thinking of using my miles to book flights to Vancouver and precruise hotel stay for next summer. I’ve searched using this summers dates to ballpark the miles required and I’m getting close. Just wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on adding travel insurance for my miles? I’m not comfortable sinking over 20,000 airmiles with no insurance of getting them back.
You're able to check the price of insurance without actually booking -- just input all the information and go thru a mock booking, you will see at the bottom of the page
upload_2018-7-29_16-40-0.png
Once you get to the next page you'll need to fill in all the details for the tickets and once again same message as above will be there, click on the continue again . You see the huge warning about proper ID needed for flying and then a page about seat selection, just click continue yet again! FINALLY you'll get to the page that lets you decide on insurance or not with a breakdown of what is covered under each choice (as well as the cost of each option)You can also check what the terms are for all of the policies. Boils down to yes, you are able to add insurance to BOTH the miles & the taxes. So long as you never actually get to the point of inputting credit card info to pay for the taxes & booking fees (if they apply -- hotel & car rentals i think??) you haven't actually booked anything and you can simply sign out of your account to clear the trip information.

**the fine print for the insurance states the following exclusions BTW
upload_2018-7-29_16-50-9.png

I didn’t realize we weren’t able to add the Canadian cards to a U.S. card and lock in the rate anymore. This makes me think my best course of action with both PC points and Airmiles is to use them for groceries and gas and put the cash equivalent into vacation savings. Cash is cash and then I can use it for whatever I want.

Last edited:

You're able to check the price of insurance without actually booking -- just input all the information and go thru a mock booking, you will see at the bottom of the page
View attachment 340170
Once you get to the next page you'll need to fill in all the details for the tickets and once again same message as above will be there, click on the continue again . You see the huge warning about proper ID needed for flying and then a page about seat selection, just click continue yet again! FINALLY you'll get to the page that lets you decide on insurance or not with a breakdown of what is covered under each choice (as well as the cost of each option)You can also check what the terms are for all of the policies. Boils down to yes, you are able to add insurance to BOTH the miles & the taxes. So long as you never actually get to the point of inputting credit card info to pay for the taxes & booking fees (if they apply -- hotel & car rentals i think??) you haven't actually booked anything and you can simply sign out of your account to clear the trip information.

**the fine print for the insurance states the following exclusions BTW
View attachment 340178
Thanks so much for your help! I was nervous to hit continue

I ordered the carryon and it arrived Friday but I had to sign for it so picked it up on the weekend. My son wasn't impressed but I love it! Can't wait to book a trip so I can use it :) And on my way to rebuilding AM, I think I earned 400 or so between Rexall, Sobeys, Metro and a few from Shell and Children's Place. Already starting back to school shopping... ordered a few pairs of pants to see what fits kiddo this year. He is super skinny so it's hard to find things that stay up. Especially since he prefers elastic waist pants.

Beat me to the punch with the link for the Rexall coupon -- didn't show up in my email yet but it did pop up in my Facebook newsfeed!

**ETA it's in my email now

Woo! Got our 100 AM from the 5x Shell fill-ups!
Funny thing, my DH went to use one of those 4 cents off a litre coupons (when you spend a threshold amount $150??? from Safeway), the lady accidentally scanned it twice, and it gave him EIGHT cents off a litre! Whoops Shell IT... you missed that loophole...

Has anyone else seen the new offer to link your AM card with Samsung Pay?? You don't even need to have an account or plan on using it BUT it appears you do need one of the compatible phones to actually download the app, maybe I'm missing sumtin :confused3 I followed all the steps, entered my AM number but can't get it to accept it for some reason....
here's the webpage with the info from Airmiles

Link your AM card to Samsung pay and earn 50 AM

Interesting. I do have a compatible Samsung phone. I'll have to see about this. I don't think I can do it at work so a note for this evening :) I have too many "pay" options on my phone lol, but for 50 + AM, I'll use the Samsung one. Thanks!

Interesting. I do have a compatible Samsung phone. I'll have to see about this. I don't think I can do it at work so a note for this evening :) I have too many "pay" options on my phone lol, but for 50 + AM, I'll use the Samsung one. Thanks!
I don't know as I'd use this feature even if i did have enough room for all the apps (and a compatible phone!!) but the FAQs say you don't need to actually PAY with this app to get the extra weekly miles
2. Do I need to pay with Samsung Pay to get AIR MILES Reward Miles?
No, just show your AIR MILES Card from your Samsung Pay Wallet. No minimum purchase required.

Further to that is says you can get up to 25 miles a week - until Dec 31st!!

Second offer – Swipe to earn: Get 5 AIR MILES Reward Miles when you use your AIR MILES Card at a participating AIR MILES Partner in Samsung Pay between July 30, 2018 and December 31, 2018. Limit of 5 times and 25 Miles per week

No minimum purchase required. Any transactions using the AIR MILES Card in Samsung Pay must occur at least 5 minutes apart. Limit of 5 uses and 25 Miles per Collector Number per week.

SO I'm guessing you just flash your AM card thru this app instead of using your card or the AM app???? My phone is dying a slow and painful death and I really do like the Samsung features -- this might be a good reason to choose one of the models on the list!!

I think I've followed all the steps and signed up, added the Air Miles card to my account, and to my samsung pay. Since the time frame is so long I wonder how long the 50 AM will take to post. The 5 per showing would be nice as well. Normally I have my card on me but for 5 AM I'll use the app :) I almost always have my phone around too. We'll see how long things take to post I guess.

How often does this happen? I don’t remember it before this year and they had it just a few months ago? Just wondering if I should wait if they have another to order the Christmas present I plan to buy.
No way of knowing the answer to this question exactly BUT it's a safe bet that there will be another big promo in November coupled with some type of multiplier offer thru the online portal during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Will it be as high as 20?? Strictly a guessing game

Does anyone know if there are any Staples/airmiles coupons or multipliers floating around? Ds14 has finally decided on the exact backpack he wants (which was quite the process, let me tell you:rolleyes2).
I can get it with free shipping from Bestbuy or from Staples for the same price. I might as well go through Staples for the airmiles, but I will kick myself if I miss a deal. If there is nothing out there right now, does anyone know if they normally do airmiles/Staples deals a little closer to school time?
Any help is appreciated. :goodvibes

Does anyone know if there are any Staples/airmiles coupons or multipliers floating around? Ds14 has finally decided on the exact backpack he wants (which was quite the process, let me tell you:rolleyes2).
I can get it with free shipping from Bestbuy or from Staples for the same price. I might as well go through Staples for the airmiles, but I will kick myself if I miss a deal. If there is nothing out there right now, does anyone know if they normally do airmiles/Staples deals a little closer to school time?
Any help is appreciated. :goodvibes
Personally I wouldn't count on it nor would i even worry about Staples for a couple of reasons:
  • They only give 1 AM per $40 so it would have to be a mighty $$$ backpack to get very many miles.
  • Whenever they do have multipliers online they rarely post properly for me and i need to chase down those piddly miles (works fine IN STORE though)
We just needed to buy hubby an external hard-drive for his trip out west. He gave me the specs of what he needed/wanted and i went hunting for the best deal. I found it at New Egg (a store thru Airmilesshop), Staples & Best Buy. It was the same price at both Staples & Best Buy (where i could even get free shipping or store pick-up in less than 2 hours.) I chose Best Buy because the maximum Airmiles i would have earned was FOUR if i got it from New Egg or TWO thru Staples. Even if they had a 20 X multiplier that wouldn't be worth it IMHO. Now when they had that offer and he needed a Surface we jumped all over it because that was closer to 1600 AM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter