Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Do you have much carpet? I feel like an upright would be easier to haul around than a canister but vacuuming the stairs I wonder about. There is a long extension hose for getting in corners and dusting up high right? BTW, I HATE vacuuming.
We have the Dyson pet. I’ve never used a better vacuum. I have two Labrador Retrievers that SHED, so it gets a workout. I love it and have no complaints. I have mostly carpet downstairs and in the bedrooms, but I use it on the hardwood too.

Last edited:
We have the Dyson pet. I’ve never used a better vacuum. I have to Labrador Retrievers that SHED, so it gets a workout. I love it and have no complaints. I have mostly carpet downstairs and in the bedrooms, but I use it on the hardwood too.
My dog is a non shedder so I’m not interested in the vac for that...that just happens to be the model of upright that they have. I’ve mainly got hard wood. Carpet is on the stairs and bedrooms only. My concern is how difficult cleaning the stairs would be with an upright over canister style.

On the subject of 'what are you saving for'.....

I got an email from AM telling me that I have enough to redeem for something......um, right, I have 22K AM. Anyway, in the email was a Dyson vacuum for 4500-ish for Onyx with a bonus of 185 miles earned. I've been wanting to get one but don't know much about them....my knowledge of them is based on seeing them on TSC. They have the canister big ball and the upright animal. Does anyone have one or know about them? I have always had a canister but it looks like the Dyson upright would be very easy to use in my house as well. I only have carpet on two staircases and the bedrooms.

My dog is a non shedder so I’m not interested in the vac for that...that just happens to be the model of upright that they have. I’ve mainly got hard wood. Carpet is on the stairs and bedrooms only. My concern is how difficult cleaning the stairs would be with an upright over canister style.

I use the attachment and the hose to do the stairs. I brace the vacuum with the knee of one leg while I vacuum the two or three stairs ahead of me. That or I get someone (DS) to hold the vacuum while I do the stairs.

I use the vacuum on carpet (stairs & area carpets) and on our solid surface floors. I've even been known to take it outside to do out the car after a trip to the vet with my Samoyed (too much fur).

We've had ours 10 years+ and it's still going strong. Dyson CS is great. I broke the long hose very early on and they replaced it no questions asked. Love our Dyson.

Do you have much carpet? I feel like an upright would be easier to haul around than a canister but vacuuming the stairs I wonder about. There is a long extension hose for getting in corners and dusting up high right? BTW, I HATE vacuuming.
We have carpet upstairs and in basement. I agree with your thoughts on canister being easier for stairs. The stairs are a pain, I’m lazy and sometimes don’t want to put on attachments so I just hold it upright and vacuum each stair as I walk up (split level home so only 6 steps to go up or down) I wouldn’t consider myself strong but I can do it. But I can see your point of canister being easier on stairs

I don’t find it easy on the stairs at all. Unless I take out the suction tool and use that, which I hate to do because I always struggle to put it back in.

On the subject of 'what are you saving for'.....

I got an email from AM telling me that I have enough to redeem for something......um, right, I have 22K AM. Anyway, in the email was a Dyson vacuum for 4500-ish for Onyx with a bonus of 185 miles earned. I've been wanting to get one but don't know much about them....my knowledge of them is based on seeing them on TSC. They have the canister big ball and the upright animal. Does anyone have one or know about them? I have always had a canister but it looks like the Dyson upright would be very easy to use in my house as well. I only have carpet on two staircases and the bedrooms.
I got that email as well and boy, once again they are off the mark with me! Have you SEEN my hair?!?!?!(that would be pretty short and I LIKE my curls)
upload_2018-3-31_17-18-5.png

I had a good pre Easter shop at Sobeys today....
spend $116.41
total airmiles 164

Happy Easter Everyone!
db41abf8e9b471786f9e9d50bbea741b.jpg

Hugs Mel

So I have a long over-due post to make. Months ago I was very grumpy (depressed) and posted. I should know better than to post anything when I'm grumpy! :blush:

In my ramblings I worried about an upcoming cruise booked using our Air Miles. My daughter refused to go and it was already paid-in-full. I was very worried Air Miles would refuse to replace my daughter with my father. Well, they did! They were very nice and accomodating about it. I do not know why I fretted so much. I should have called ages earlier than I did! (Ohh, I phoned Air Miles back in November or early December 2017 about this.) I have needed to phone them twice more about the cruise and AM has been wonderful. By the way, daughter is staying with her favorite much loved Aunt and excited about going.

I pretty much stopped collecting Air Miles after cashing in for the cruise. I was so discouraged at being forced to cash in my air miles. I am very glad I came across this thread again and decided to give Air Miles another try after reading about all the promotions happening.

At the begining of August 2017 I only had 1,510 air miles. Four months later I had over 18,000 in November and cashed in 14,560 miles for a gaming computer as my son's Christmas present. He was over-the-moon on Christmas morning!! Back story: I was originally saving Air Miles for a Universal Studios trip. Then Air Miles came out with a gaming laptop that was just over 18,000 air miles and retailed $2,000+ in the stores. I did not have near enough miles to redeem. Sobey's then offered jam on sale at $4.29 and 25 air miles. I remembered someone's post about pickles... So, I, umm, bought 80 jars of jam. :rotfl2: You should have seen the Cashier's face at Sobey's. Now, my son had been saving his newspaper money slowly for almost a year at this point. He had $700 saved up but nowhere near enough for a gaming system. I figured it was a win-win-win situtation. A) Cheaper than buying miles from Air Miles. B) Son would pay me back the $350 I shelled out for jam. C) Everyone got jars of jam at Christmas. By the time the jam air miles posted, the laptop was gone... never to be seen again. However, I was able to get a gaming computer instead that retailed $1,600+ at the time. Son paid me back the $350 and used the rest of his money to get a monitor, gaming keyboard & mouse, webcam, etc. He still gives me a hug and thanks me for his computer. When he gets snarky about my limiting his gaming time, I remind him I could have gone on vacation with Dad instead. :rotfl:That usually shuts up his complaining for awhile.

So back to the air miles hunt I went. As of today, when all the mega mile bonuses are posted AND the extra 600 from sobey's gift cards - my balance will be 10,900. That's enough for three 3-day 3-park-to-park Universal Studio tickets. My husband's card (I started in December) will have 5,155 - enough for his Universal Studios pass. Only since I cannot cash them in right away for US tickets (due to the ticket expiring before we want to go), I will keep on collecting and collecting.

Only my husband is starting to hint it's his turn for a laptop... :rolleyes:

BIG THANK YOU'S to everyone on here!! I truly could NOT have collected so many without this amazing thread! :disrocks:

Last edited:
I have to agree. I have been hopping to a couple of other threads while doing Mega Miles. Just wanted to make sure I had "all" the info out there. This thread is by far one of the best I've seen with regards to AM collecting. There's so much misinformation out there but not here. Thanks everyone who contributes to the hunt.

I LOVE this community and the way we all help each other in the pursuit of the mighty miles. Rarely do we need to sift past arguments or deal with drama scenes. We all seem to be invested in helping each other, celebrate when someone reaches a goal and point out pitfalls. I'm amazed at how quickly we have earned miles since this group started.

Oh, for any of my fellow cruisers, this forum is really great for info: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Now, there are many cranky/rude posters on there, but amount of info on everything to do with cruising is amazing.
I follow that board as well as we have started sailing RCL over the past few years and you are right, there are many many rude posters. I have never read such nasty stuff that some write. It gets mean over there at times. One needs to be prepared for that. There are however, a few very helpful people who have great knowledge.
I like that the mods shut down that stuff on the DIS but CC seems to be unregulated most of the time and no one seems to care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter