Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Finally some nice weather in Ottawa! I am sure the dog will enjoy a few walks this weekend :) Gotta keep my feet going, we leave in 4 days! I have Cape May booked for dinner on Mother's Day. It's our only sit down meal so I hope it's decent. I know it doesn't always get the best reviews but we have wanted to try it for a couple trips now so it's nice to finally get the chance. Picked up a couple more gift cards and was questioned about it, which is fine, they were nice about it at least. No, not being scammed, just expensive. Apparently if I had paid with a credit card they would have asked for ID but since I used debit it was ok. Glad to have that done now. All set. Ready to go! But still have the weekend and one day of work, then one day to drop off the dog at my parents and finish up packing. And of course worry about missing the plane lol. Am I the only one who does that?

I ordered from walmart already, hopefully that goes ok. Gatorade and water mostly, with some small bags of chips since kiddo is worried he'll go hungry, and some bagels/cream cheese in case we need breakfast in the room. And cream for my coffee in the morning. I know they provide the creamers but I like to use more than most people :) Oh, and ordered sunscreen! So we don't have to worry about packing that or finding small enough bottle for the carry on.

I even ordered us magicbands. I got kiddo a fancy + one so he can do the games, but just in black, he couldn't decide which one he really liked so i suggested a plain band. I got myself an older style one, it was only $10. We'll take one of kiddo's old ones as well in case we forget to charge up the fancy one or something.

And that's it :) I know it's just rambling but I'm super excited and no one around me really gets it lol.
When we went in Feb., half our group got the +bands but hubby and I did not. I can tell you, the plus band only needs to be charged for the special activities. It still works for room charging, park tickets, room entrance, everything that the regular band does. I was concerned about that as well but there was no need to be.
Hope you have an amazing trip! Post back about Cape May, it's been on my list as well.

we got to enjoy the sunshine of our daughter singing with her people, The Rainbow Chorus! The choir always has one person introduce each song with a little story that's shows why that one is personally important. I gave our kidlette what for after the concert for not giving me a heads-up about what she was going to say before they sang one of the songs from Dear Evan Hansen, luckily lots of others were touched by the painful story of her wife leaving her during the spring of 2021 so i wasn't the only one in tears- OMG how can it be 2 years already since we held her through that heartache? Here's the full choir20230506_152028.jpg
And here's my little ray of sunshine beaming back at her goofball parents waving at her (gotta wave at your kid, right?!!)
20230506_150730.jpg

we got to enjoy the sunshine of our daughter singing with her people, The Rainbow Chorus! The choir always has one person introduce each song with a little story that's shows why that one is personally important. I gave our kidlette what for after the concert for not giving me a heads-up about what she was going to say before they sang one of the songs from Dear Evan Hansen, luckily lots of others were touched by the painful story of her wife leaving her during the spring of 2021 so i wasn't the only one in tears- OMG how can it be 2 years already since we held her through that heartache? Here's the full choirView attachment 759001
And here's my little ray of sunshine beaming back at her goofball parents waving at her (gotta wave at your kid, right?!!)
View attachment 759002
Thanks for sharing Hon.... you know as a parent I think we feel this stuff more than our kids sometimes. My youngest son called me last night to share,,, ( a little over a year and a half ago his wife had an affair with her boss and their marriage broke up).... such sad things we do to the ones we profess to love and care about.
Anyhow he has met someone new and shared all the details with me,,, financially sound ,,owns own home and good job as a nurse,, great upfront tell it like it is kind of girl.
So happy for him.

You've been great in supporting your daughter
Hon and I know she appreciates that.
She will find her *Forever Love* because she has so much that is loveable about her.
Hugs Mel

Back from my holiday. What I learned, don't check in online if you're flying to the states without going to the counter to have your passport checked etc. Even thought the app said I could go directly to the gate and have it done there.

When the gate agent arrived I went over to have our passports verified and she informed us we weren't checked in at all and that the check in time had passed. She said never check in online for a non-domestic flight... Little did I know, apparently things change daily/by airport. She said not to worry she would get us checked in etc. Then she looked at our bags and said they were too big. (DH checked them later, they weren't) We would need to gate check them to our destination. Thoughts of bags not arriving circled my brain. (bags did arrive in LA, no issue).

As we were waiting to board there were several other groups who had checked in online who were also having issues finding out they weren't checked in while trying to board the plane. Must have been a compter glitch that day. I'm glad we weren't the only ones as I try to be really careful when doing this stuff.

Your experience may vary but just be warned the app says you're good to go but you may not be! (WestJet).

On the flights home I checked in online to see where we were going to be on the plane, we went to the counter in LA to confirm we were checked in, have our passports verified and print off boarding passes.

Connecting through Calgary was a lot of walking but the system worked smoothly. I had used Arrive Can ahead of time and all we had to do was scan our passports, take a photo and then answer one question with the agent (food - chocolate). A quick security check to make sure we were legitimately connecting and we were on our way. The flight started boarding 15 minutes after we got to the gate. (we were seated 2/3 of the way back in the plane)

Back from my holiday. What I learned, don't check in online if you're flying to the states without going to the counter to have your passport checked etc. Even thought the app said I could go directly to the gate and have it done there.

When the gate agent arrived I went over to have our passports verified and she informed us we weren't checked in at all and that the check in time had passed. She said never check in online for a non-domestic flight.
.. Little did I know, apparently things change daily/by airport. She said not to worry she would get us checked in etc. Then she looked at our bags and said they were too big. (DH checked them later, they weren't) We would need to gate check them to our destination. Thoughts of bags not arriving circled my brain. (bags did arrive in LA, no issue).

As we were waiting to board there were several other groups who had checked in online who were also having issues finding out they weren't checked in while trying to board the plane. Must have been a compter glitch that day. I'm glad we weren't the only ones as I try to be really careful when doing this stuff.

Your experience may vary but just be warned the app says you're good to go but you may not be! (WestJet).

On the flights home I checked in online to see where we were going to be on the plane, we went to the counter in LA to confirm we were checked in, have our passports verified and print off boarding passes.

Connecting through Calgary was a lot of walking but the system worked smoothly. I had used Arrive Can ahead of time and all we had to do was scan our passports, take a photo and then answer one question with the agent (food - chocolate). A quick security check to make sure we were legitimately connecting and we were on our way. The flight started boarding 15 minutes after we got to the gate. (we were seated 2/3 of the way back in the plane)
I'm going to say that's totally untrue. I think you had someone making it up as she went along. I always check in online and have never had to see anyone for passport verification. If you were going carry on only and had downloaded/printed your own boarding passes you could be called to the gate podium for a doc check but even that is not an always situation as you have been checked going through security and you will be checked at boarding. My January trip I checking myself in online but it would not allow DH to complete check in....it said he needed to see an agent. At the counter he showed his passport but I did not.

I think the most likely scenario was some sort of system problem. If you were legit not checked in you would not have made it through security.

Exactly what I thought. But I wasn't really in a position to argue with the woman at the gate. Someone after me chose to argue and she threatened to send them to the counter downstairs if they continued. I thought it was odd, thanks for setting me straight that that isn't the way things really are moving forward.

It was a strange travel day. We landed at Pearson and were let off at a gate in the US outbound secure area. The airport oopsed! Delayed us getting on our way by an hour... Ground stopped all US flights until it was resolved.

I was beginning to think this was the new normal. Guess it was just a bad day.

With the announcements out of Florida today I'm already thinking I could use another trip. DH has come down with something from our recent trip so I don't think he's too keen on going anywhere any time soon. Florida I can do solo.

Two sleeps! Well one and a half lol, have to leave at 2 AM so that's not a full sleep?
I am super excited for the dining plan coming back, and no more reservations. But I'd also like to be able to park hop earlier than 2pm. After this trip our next we have a cruise booked, so we may not get back to Disney next year. Might be 2025 before we do another just Disney trip (though we all know I am likely to book something before then). As long as I'll be able to add the quick service dining plan to a room only reservation (the UK tickets are just such a good deal). I know the dining plan isn't always the best deal but it's so much easier to budget for.

Exactly what I thought. But I wasn't really in a position to argue with the woman at the gate. Someone after me chose to argue and she threatened to send them to the counter downstairs if they continued. I thought it was odd, thanks for setting me straight that that isn't the way things really are moving forward.

It was a strange travel day. We landed at Pearson and were let off at a gate in the US outbound secure area. The airport oopsed! Delayed us getting on our way by an hour... Ground stopped all US flights until it was resolved.

I was beginning to think this was the new normal. Guess it was just a bad day.

With the announcements out of Florida today I'm already thinking I could use another trip. DH has come down with something from our recent trip so I don't think he's too keen on going anywhere any time soon. Florida I can do solo.
You know nothing comes as a surprise anymore. I'm going to ask one of my friends at the airport what they have to say about the doc check situation and also about the gate you arrived in. I'm very curious about the gate thing...I thought all gates had the exit hallway. LOL...unless I plan to meet up with friends at the airport tomorrow I might forget about this until after I get back.....or I might forget altogether, like I do with many things these days :rotfl:

Two sleeps! Well one and a half lol, have to leave at 2 AM so that's not a full sleep?
I am super excited for the dining plan coming back, and no more reservations. But I'd also like to be able to park hop earlier than 2pm. After this trip our next we have a cruise booked, so we may not get back to Disney next year. Might be 2025 before we do another just Disney trip (though we all know I am likely to book something before then). As long as I'll be able to add the quick service dining plan to a room only reservation (the UK tickets are just such a good deal). I know the dining plan isn't always the best deal but it's so much easier to budget for.
I have to say I'm feeling super relaxed about this trip. Normally, I'm so stressed about getting packed and organizing work that I don't sleep or eat and will have stomach pains. I will be getting up early tomorrow, not 2am early, I have to gather/pack my daily use items before I leave for work. I will only have time after work to go home and change clothes.

Have a safe trip!

Do we think Air Miles will adjust the amount of miles needed to qualify as Onyx? There are nowhere near the points opportunities there were before. I'd love to maintain access to the personal shopper but I don't see a way of getting to 5,000 miles this year, and I don't want tye credit card..

Do we think Air Miles will adjust the amount of miles needed to qualify as Onyx? There are nowhere near the points opportunities there were before. I'd love to maintain access to the personal shopper but I don't see a way of getting to 5,000 miles this year, and I don't want tye credit card..
I feel your pain. I only earn Airmiles at Shell, sometimes Metro and Airmiles shoppes. I think I have reached gold already but Onyx will not be happening.
And no I don't think they will change but it did go from 6000 down to 5000.

The Airmilesshop Assistant extension is available for Chrome again! i know several people had been searching for it for well over a year. I love having it installed - it will let me know if a store is on the Airmiles list, if there's any multipliers and it's super easy to tell if my shopping has taken long enough to log me out. I always take screenshots just before I complete a transaction that shows the little airplane lit up in blue.

Airmilesshop Assistant Extension

Just received 100 AMs for the Shell offer that was in one of my suitcases. The thing is, I already had the app downloaded so I didn't think I would get the AMs. I looked at the app, which I have used numerous times in the past, and noticed that my MC for some reason had fallen off, so I put it back in. That must have triggered the offer.
Also have the 50 AMs posted from the recent Metro offer a lot of us got. Mine was spend $20, get 50 AMs. That was a no brainer.
It's a good day when you wake up to 150 unexpected AMs.

I feel your pain. I only earn Airmiles at Shell, sometimes Metro and Airmiles shoppes. I think I have reached gold already but Onyx will not be happening.
And no I don't think they will change but it did go from 6000 down to 5000.
I'm in the same boat all around. I feel like 3000 should be the new 5000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter