Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I have a small stockpile of basics bought toilet paper a couple of weeks ago to replenish, we were literally down to the last roll in in bathroom, and last week DS picked up Total for me. I don't overbuy and merely restock as it becomes necessary.

I normally stock up on sales. Covid has messed with that though, at least in the beginning when even finding TP was impossible. I was lucky to have stocked up I guess! Getting back to it now though. My grocery shopping has shifted from certain "school snacks" to ones he'll eat at home, and healthier things for me. Plus being able to stock up on things on sale. Everything is costing more though, which sucks. Even though I am saving on gas and parking for the moment, it's not quite making up the difference. Hopefully things return to a more normal cost as things open back up, and local produce is becoming available.

Just back from Sobeys doing the Gatorade Bonus Boom offer. Did it on two accounts neither one had the bonus AM post on the receipt. Like Mel, I also did AM Chat and got the same "we made a note on your file... call us back if it doesn't work and we'll fix it manuallly..."

So I would like to know if I am normal?

I get severe anxiety if my non perishable Pantry is not topped up.
Years ago when I started airmiling I started a Pantry and have always kept a good stock of Paper towels /Toilet paper and Laundry detergent,, rotating 6 month supply. I've always bought on sale and fairly large amounts to earn airmiles.
Please tell me I am not the only one that has to have a secret stock pile of something in their home.

Hugs Mel
I follow prices pretty closely and I stock up when things are on sale. I’ve always done so, and when the pandemic started I had enough toilet paper that we just used the last of it. We have to use a certain type because of our septic system. When it went on sale for half price just before Christmas at Rexall I bought a bunch and it qualified for a Shop the Block offer. It saves me alot of money to follow sales cycles and I like it.
Since the pandemic started my focus has switched to more of a pantry that’s well stocked in other areas. The reality is severe storms, job loss, illness can happen. As someone who pays careful attention to prices in my shopping, I’m already seeing increases in a lot of what we buy and I expect that to increase sharply in the coming year. I‘d like to be well stocked in canned and dried goods that we use for a little reassurance. I’m stocking up on a longer supply when things are on sale . I’m not building an underground bunker by any means, but it feels better to control costs and know if we get sick or lose income we have what we need for a little while.

Yep....I've got a stock pile too. It's literally EVERY household product....toothpaste, shampoo, razors, TP, paper towel, etc. Then I have food too. When I shop weekly I only buy what's on sale...and almost never buy 1 of something. Last week chicken was on sale for $1/lb….I bought 18 lbs. I have shopped this way for years. With both of us not working for a month when all this started (me still not) I had to put the brakes on replacing my stock pile.....it nearly killed me to watch all the good sales pass me by. Now I've almost gone back to my normal shopping style. Before I would have bought 5-6, or more, of something now it's 1-2.

@Donald - my hero you mentioned having 3 bottles of laundry soap.....LOL...I'm down to 3 bottles. Not uncommon to find 7-8 bottles in my laundry room. Last year I remember a sale at No Frills on soap that I had coupons for and it worked out to $2.99 for the really big bottle......I may or may not have had 10 coupons.

I had to go to the chiropractor yesterday and needed to pick up some milk on the way home. So stopping in at Metro just for milk turned into...milk, chicken, tomatoes and hair product(Bonus Boom item). Which then turned into 76 AM. Then I put gas in DH's car for another 36AM. Plus, both purchases went on my MC towards Bonus Boom.....approx. $100. Mind blowing that that was a great AM day at the moment.

Did anyone else go out yesterday and feel like everyone was nuts? I spoke with a friend last night who had the same experience I had.....the roads were very busy and people were driving crazy, a lot of people in the store, naked store shelves.

I had to line up outside my local grocery store for the first time yesterday. I agree the store shelves weren't as well stocked as they have been. Maybe it's the heatwave?
Seriously....you have not lined up??? WOW! It's only been the last 2-3 weeks that their are either no lines or very short ones (as in only 5 or 6 people) here....that's grocery stores. Other stores still have long lines. The closest Dollarama to me still always has a line of at least 10 people. LOL....people go 20 minutes before opening to the LCBO. The last time I went I wasn't sure what time they opened and arrived there 35 minutes before opening....there were already 5 people in the parking lot.

Correction, I did line up when all this first hit (Costco, Independent). I just seem to somehow manage to time my shopping trips with no lineups. There are often huge lines when I am on my way out the store of some stores.

Did anyone else go out yesterday and feel like everyone was nuts? I spoke with a friend last night who had the same experience I had.....the roads were very busy and people were driving crazy, a lot of people in the store, naked store shelves.
Yes I saw way more people out yesterday. We drove by the Superstore and there must have been 20 people in line outside the store. I have never seen that many people in line there before. We only went to a local Bakery who are doing curbside pickup and the line there was steady. You book a pickup time and they bring out your purchases. Donuts and chocolate eclairs for the win.
I had to line up outside my local grocery store for the first time yesterday. I agree the store shelves weren't as well stocked as they have been. Maybe it's the heatwave?
Seriously....you have not lined up??? WOW! It's only been the last 2-3 weeks that their are either no lines or very short ones (as in only 5 or 6 people) here....that's grocery stores. Other stores still have long lines. The closest Dollarama to me still always has a line of at least 10 people. LOL....people go 20 minutes before opening to the LCBO. The last time I went I wasn't sure what time they opened and arrived there 35 minutes before opening....there were already 5 people in the parking lot.
I have to say that I have never lined up at my Sobey's in Ajax. Maybe once I was 2nd in line but I must be going at the right time. I think it is because Ajax is basically a small town but we have so many grocery stores in a small area and Sobey's is one of the higher priced stores so maybe nobody wants to go there. It normally isn't busy whereas the Superstore is busier. I think in my little radius we have at least 10 grocery stores.
I went to the Dollarama the other day for the first time and there was no line and hardly anybody in the store so I stocked up on the items I always buy there and bought I few summer outside items for myself and away I went. I need to go back this week to get sidewalk chalk so I can decorate the sidewalk in front of my house for Canada Day. I will pick a middle of the week day and see how busy it is.
I saw a post on facebook this morning and the Costco in Ajax has big lines again at 9:30 opening time. Guess it is the hot weather bringing people out to shop.

Well, I just stepped foot inside a grocery store for the first time in 3 months. (Seriously, have not gone in since at least March 15th). DH works at Sobeys so he bought everything since then. No sense me going in public when he was there working every day anyway.

Oh, and we are also in the middle of a heat wave here in NS, so I got up stinkin' early to run from 6:30-7am so I could get to the store by 8:30am. No outside lineup at that hour, and a reasonably quiet shopping experience.

Unfortunately that meant we didn't stock up or get certain staples that I would usually do when getting a big weekly order. I meant to only spend $200, planning to use my M/C and get 2 Bonus Booms in one go. I forgot the gatorade, but he will get that on the way home tonight. Well... $490 later I think we should be okay for a bit!

Checking my receipt, only $250 was our groceries, as I also bought for his 90-year-old Nan and I bought $110 in GC's to get AM, and my $50 protein powder was $5 off so I snagged one.

Blue bonus dishwasher tabs, Bonus Boom, Base Miles, Netflix and Cabela's GC, some MyOffers, using my M/C (base of spend 20 get 1 AM) and hopefully completing the Bonus Boom means I think I'll get 617 AM when all is said and done.

Haven't had a haul like that in a very long time!

Netflix buy $60 get 60AM, can you buy 2x $30 cards or do you buy the variable amount one and specify $60?

Re: Netflix
I couldn't find any exact amount ones,,the one I got was $15.00 - $200.00,,I had to tell her to apply $60.00 to it.
I am unsure if two $30.00 ones would work.
Maybe someone else has had more experience.
Hugs
Mel

Re: Netflix
I couldn't find any exact amount ones,,the one I got was $15.00 - $200.00,,I had to tell her to apply $60.00 to it.
I am unsure if two $30.00 ones would work.
Maybe someone else has had more experience.
Hugs
Mel

Thank you, I did the variable one and told them to apply $60. AirMiles showed on receipt. Now DH will have to figure out how to apply it to our account. First time I’ve done the Netflix gift card deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter