Airmiles Armchair Chatter

And of course, mine were wrong. I did a chat and it was fixed very quickly so I'm okay.
Once again, ME TOO!Likewise, mine was fixed quickly because, imagine, all of the coupons posted properly to my account. Urgh, when will they start doing their job so we don't need to police!!!

images

okay, figure this one out: I still haven't gotten credit for the StB airmilesshops coupon, so I only officially completed 6 eligible purchases. But the full bonus posted today :scratchin

I'm don't understand, but I'm also not complaining!
The 50 miles for the coupon come later. I was told some time by April 27th. Last time around the miles never posted and I had to submit a request for them. What they are using is the base miles from the purchase you made.

The 50 miles for the coupon come later. I was told some time by April 27th. Last time around the miles never posted and I had to submit a request for them. What they are using is the base miles from the purchase you made.

That's awesome :) I'll watch for the 50 and I hope they show up okay. I thought I was going to have to fight for 1050 though, so this is a nice surprise!

Does anyone recall how many airmiles were needed for a 5 or 7 day ticket prior to the Canadian Resident discount ? And do we have any idea what kind of effect the new Disney ticket price structure will have on airmiles tickets ?
I’m sure this has all been discussed but I didn’t pay much attention as I didn’t need tickets. Now that I am trying to save to fully fund a trip with rewards programs by late 2020, I need to get an idea of what I’m saving for.

Does anyone recall how many airmiles were needed for a 5 or 7 day ticket prior to the Canadian Resident discount ? And do we have any idea what kind of effect the new Disney ticket price structure will have on airmiles tickets ?
I’m sure this has all been discussed but I didn’t pay much attention as I didn’t need tickets. Now that I am trying to save to fully fund a trip with rewards programs by late 2020, I need to get an idea of what I’m saving for.
5400 for a 7 day. That's what we redeemed in August 2018.

Can anyone recall if when buying Aquatica passes with air miles, if they email them to you or if you get actual tickets sent to you in the mail?

Airmiles tickets, June 13, 2018
5 day adult 5100
7 day adult 5400

(thanks @alohamom and @Tinkershelly for posting in Jun 13 and 14 which helps keep records, #12599, #12611)

I really can't comprehend what Airmiles will do in order to continue offering Disney tickets, problem is Disney tickets are now all date based. If you go to AAA and Undercovertourist websites, no matter what ticket you buy, you have to pick your start date (even with the flexible date tickets) and you pay in dollars. Not sure how Airmiles will implement this in airmiles.

So my original thinking, was that Airmiles might offer flexible date tickets (no idea how) and/or special discount tickets (looking at what Disney currently has available I thought the 4-park Magic Summer Ticket valid Jan 18 – Sep 30 2019 would possibly be an option)

So how many airmiles?

The airmiles tickets in June 2018 were priced at around 10.7 cents an airmile. (7day 5400/$441.98usd ticket price x1.3 exch = .1064, 5day 5100/$420.68usd ticket price x 1.3 exch = .1072)

February 2019 Disney ticket prices

5-day day based tickets cost $417.04-$480.85, 5 day flex $489.90

7-day day based tickets cost $440.03-$506.82, 7 day flex $521.86

4Park Magic Summer tickets $378.80

So, assuming airmiles sticks to evaluating tickets around 10.7 cents an airmile and the March/April exchange rate stays around 1.33 (haha!)

5-day flex ticket $489.90usd ticket price x 1.33 exchange / .107 avg am = 6100am

7-day flex ticket $521.85usd ticket price x 1.33 exchange/ .107 avg am = 6500am

4 Park Magic Summer ticket $378.80usd ticket price x 1.33 exchange/ .107 avg am = 4700am

So many assumptions. Would love to hear what others think. I suppose we just might have to wait and hope.

Last edited:
5-day flex ticket $489.90usd ticket price x 1.33 exchange / .107 avg am = 6100am

4 Park Magic Summer ticket $378.80usd ticket price x 1.33 exchange/ .107 avg am = 4700am

Yikes! We will need our miles more than ever at that point!

Airmiles tickets, June 13, 2018
5 day adult 5100
7 day adult 5400

(thanks @alohamom and @Tinkershelly for posting in Jun 13 and 14 which helps keep records, #12599, #12611)

I really can't comprehend what Airmiles will do in order to continue offering Disney tickets, problem is Disney tickets are now all date based. If you go to AAA and Undercovertourist websites, no matter what ticket you buy, you have to pick your start date (even with the flexible date tickets) and you pay in dollars. Not sure how Airmiles will implement this in airmiles.

So my original thinking, was that Airmiles might offer flexible date tickets (no idea how) and/or special discount tickets (looking at what Disney currently has available I thought the 4-park Magic Summer Ticket valid Jan 18 – Sep 30 2019 would possibly be an option)

So how many airmiles?

The airmiles tickets in June 2018 were priced at around 10.7 cents an airmile. (5day 5100/$441.98usd ticket price x1.3 exch = .1064, 7day 5400/$420.68usd ticket price x 1.3 exch = .1072)

February 2019 Disney ticket prices

5-day day based tickets cost $417.04-$480.85, 5 day flex $489.90

7-day day based tickets cost $440.03-$506.82, 7 day flex $521.86

4Park Magic Summer tickets $378.80

So, assuming airmiles sticks to evaluating tickets around 10.7 cents an airmile and the March/April exchange rate stays around 1.33 (haha!)

So many assumptions. Would love to hear what others think. I suppose we just might have to wait and hope.
Wow it gets pretty pricey after all that doesn’t it ?
If it ends up being the scenario you described I would likely collect all my miles as cash, use them for gas and groceries and use the cash saved from that for trip expenses. Converting my rewards in any program to cash offers me the best flexibility for getting the best prices and discounts on flights, tickets and hotels.
For example I did a comparison of what it costs in airmiles to fly Toronto to Orlando vs. what I would pay in cash ( with today’s exchange rate ) for flying out of Buffalo, and it saves me hundreds to fly out of Buffalo. I realize that’s only good if one can take advantage of Buffalo flights , but in general it doesn’t seem to make me any better off to use the Dream rewards.

If it ends up being the scenario you described I would likely collect all my miles as cash, use them for gas and groceries and use the cash saved from that for trip expenses. Converting my rewards in any program to cash offers me the best flexibility for getting the best prices and discounts on flights, tickets and hotels.
For example I did a comparison of what it costs in airmiles to fly Toronto to Orlando vs. what I would pay in cash ( with today’s exchange rate ) for flying out of Buffalo, and it saves me hundreds to fly out of Buffalo. I realize that’s only good if one can take advantage of Buffalo flights , but in general it doesn’t seem to make me any better off to use the Dream rewards.
What I have started to do is use my points for purchases and transferring that same amount into my US account. To explain better, if I spend $10 worth of points I will transfer $10 US into my US account. That way I'm really only paying the exchange and I have built up some money in my US account. I stopped buying Disney gift cards because I can't lock in the rate and I am not loving the idea that the exchange rate could be double what it is now when I actually do use them. I know it could be half as well but I don't like to take the chance. I can dollar cost average if I purchase as I go.
So, long story short, I am using my points to put money into my pocket as well.

What I have started to do is use my points for purchases and transferring that same amount into my US account. To explain better, if I spend $10 worth of points I will transfer $10 US into my US account. That way I'm really only paying the exchange and I have built up some money in my US account. I stopped buying Disney gift cards because I can't lock in the rate and I am not loving the idea that the exchange rate could be double what it is now when I actually do use them. I know it could be half as well but I don't like to take the chance. I can dollar cost average if I purchase as I go.
So, long story short, I am using my points to put money into my pocket as well.
I like this idea. I had been exchanging PC points used on every day items into Disney gift cards but it probably makes more sense for people like us , who are planning trips fairly far out, to lock in exchange .

I like this idea. I had been exchanging PC points used on every day items into Disney gift cards but it probably makes more sense for people like us , who are planning trips fairly far out, to lock in exchange .

I'm strictly only buying my Disney gift cards with PC points. None of my actual cash goes towards them. That way, I will never feel "out" of money with the exchange. They were all 100% FREE. I'm hoping by the time we go back in 2021 I will have enough to pay for our resort (7 nights, value).

I agree, I usually fly Southwest to Florida but have mixed in a few other flights as well. I'm flying Swoop one way out of Hamilton in April, it was about the same price as Southwest at the time after paying for one bag. We'll see how it goes. Thought I'd mention it in case it gives you another option.

If airmiles finds a way to sell the fixed date tickets the airmiles would be less since we wouldn't have to pay for the flex date premium. But they aren't going to be cheap either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter