Airlines Not Refunding (voucher only) Cancelled Flights

Delta just canceled my outbound flight from my home airport to Salt Lake City next month. They rebooked that flight for the following morning (Wednesday), but left the Salt Lake City to Orlando flight on Tuesday! There was a comment that "due to an itinerary change, you may miss your connecting flight in SLC", LOL! Calling for a refund soon. I had used my companion certificate, so I guess I'll lose out on that. Sigh.

SWA has updated CV-19 policy. I’m finally seeing credit from cancelled March/April trip extended to 9/22 - yea :)
That’s good. When I canceled my June 6 flight they offered me the travel bank good for 2 years. They didn’t have to even let me cancel because they were only waiving up to May 31. I sure hope I can use it By then.

I pushed and pleaded and was strong and stern and got NOWHERE. I recited direct United policy verbiage, DOT rules, and still nothing. The only thing I didn't do was have a holy-rolling cuss word filled fit. I seriously hope you have some luck. I am stuck with an ecert for me and my sister. They are good for 2 years, but I don't really want to fly United. This was the FIRST time we ever booked United and now I am off put from using them again.
Is the cert for the dollar amount of the tics? Don’t know how they get away with switching people from no layover to layovers since direct flights are more expensive...

Is the cert for the dollar amount of the tics? Don’t know how they get away with switching people from no layover to layovers since direct flights are more expensive...

It is for the amount I paid. They did refund the cost for seat selections.

Feel bad for everyone stuck. Current fine print is why I looked but didn’t book as a “hopeful traveler”, IF I can get my money back ok but why would I agree to this?

Remember Wimpy from Popeye? “ I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.”

Just now called Delta, after cancelling my May 10-16th WDW stay (complimentary upgrade to Beach Club one night, AKL the rest, likely never to happen again :). Nonrefundable tickets from Iron Mountain, Michigan to MCO.

Very short wait for an agent, and her first words after getting my confirmation number was "Would you like an ecredit good until September 2022, or a full refund?"

I opted for the full refund, it took about 3 minutes, and I got an email with the refund details. She did say that due to the processing volume it may take up to 30 days to show up on my Amex card.

Great experience overall- not at ALL what I was anticipating/dreading.

Both Alaska and United cancelled my flights to/from Hawaii but the flights did not show as cancelled in either of my accounts, the itinerary still showed up in my account as if everything was fine, even though those flights no longer existed. I called each airline and was able to get a full refund with zero hassle.

We called Delta for a refund on 4/15 when they changed one of our flights by 10 hours. No problem - agent immediately processed the refund & said it could take 7 to 30 days. It was returned to our credit card in less than 2 days.
Today we got an email from Delta that our ecredits were being extended until Sept. 2022. What??????? I'm almost afraid to look up the tickets online or call them - they can't take our refund back, can they????

I pushed and pleaded and was strong and stern and got NOWHERE. I recited direct United policy verbiage, DOT rules, and still nothing. The only thing I didn't do was have a holy-rolling cuss word filled fit
Sincere thanks on behalf of al! Customer Service workers everywhere for not having a holy-rolling cuss word filled fit directed at the person NOT responsible for company policy.

Southwest fully refunded our July flight. We called to cancel it and requested the refund.

Sincere thanks on behalf of al! Customer Service workers everywhere for not having a holy-rolling cuss word filled fit directed at the person NOT responsible for company policy.

Exactly my thought process. It is not their fault, but it is frustrating. I refuse to berate someone who has zero control over the situation, but unfortunately many do.

1. Keep it calm, civilized, and matter-of-fact.
2. Tell the agent that you want a refund. If he or she tries to push a voucher instead, calmly repeat no, I understand that DOT regulations require you to give me a refund if I want one, which I do.
3. If the agent still says no, ask to speak to a supervisor, and repeat the statement above. If they still will not agree to a refund, tell them (still keeping it civilized and courteous) that you will be filing a DOT complaint and disputing the charge on your credit card.
4. if they still have not agreed to a refund, don’t immediately file a credit card dispute or DOT complaint. Just call back and hopefully you will reach a more sensible agent. But if not, make the complaint, file the credit card dispute, making sure to keep copies of screenshots of your reservation and the fact that the airline cancelled the flight. You will win the dispute.

i have successfully obtained refunds from multiple airlines, and only needed to go through all the steps above with United, when the first agent I reached flat-out refused a refund, but when I called back reached a much more reasonable agent, and got my refund.

1. Keep it calm, civilized, and matter-of-fact.
2. Tell the agent that you want a refund. If he or she tries to push a voucher instead, calmly repeat no, I understand that DOT regulations require you to give me a refund if I want one, which I do.
3. If the agent still says no, ask to speak to a supervisor, and repeat the statement above. If they still will not agree to a refund, tell them (still keeping it civilized and courteous) that you will be filing a DOT complaint and disputing the charge on your credit card.
4. if they still have not agreed to a refund, don’t immediately file a credit card dispute or DOT complaint. Just call back and hopefully you will reach a more sensible agent. But if not, make the complaint, file the credit card dispute, making sure to keep copies of screenshots of your reservation and the fact that the airline cancelled the flight. You will win the dispute.

i have successfully obtained refunds from multiple airlines, and only needed to go through all the steps above with United, when the first agent I reached flat-out refused a refund, but when I called back reached a much more reasonable agent, and got my refund.

Thank you. I have three flights with United, one with Delta and an Amtrak trip Ill be calling about tomorrow. None of my flights are canceled (NY-FLL and NY-MCO) for June, September and November. I am hoping to get a full refund for all. Reading your post has me a little optimistic.

None of my flights are canceled (NY-FLL and NY-MCO) for June, September and November. I am hoping to get a full refund for all.
You well might, but until/unless the airlines cancel your flights, they are under absolutely no obligation to refund nonrefundable fares. No idea about Amtrak.

Thank you. I have three flights with United, one with Delta and an Amtrak trip Ill be calling about tomorrow. None of my flights are canceled (NY-FLL and NY-MCO) for June, September and November. I am hoping to get a full refund for all. Reading your post has me a little optimistic.
Just wanted to say we were able to get a full refund with United for a flight that's still happening this Tues. We canceled because Disneys closed; the flight has not been canceled. We had no issue at all, quick, easy and already back to my credit card.

We called Delta for a refund on 4/15 when they changed one of our flights by 10 hours. No problem - agent immediately processed the refund & said it could take 7 to 30 days. It was returned to our credit card in less than 2 days.
Today we got an email from Delta that our ecredits were being extended until Sept. 2022. What??????? I'm almost afraid to look up the tickets online or call them - they can't take our refund back, can they????

Did your credit card show a reversal? My credit card showed the credit very soon, and so I would believe that (my money is in my account) rather than the email. You can log into the site and see if there is an ecredit there wthout consequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter