Airline restrictions on liquids

luvstiggertoo

<font color=green>DIS'ing at work!!<br><font color
Once again, I resort to the DIS for answers because I can't get any of the so called experts to give me a straight answer!!

Can anyone tell me if you can bring liquid OTC meds....like Children's Tylenol in your carryon bags? Even if its more than the 3 oz. restriction?

Thanks!!!

When I flew in May they were removing bottles from the quart bag that was over the 3 oz limit. That was here in Chicago, I didn't see them doing it in the Orlando airport. Not much of a help I know. Can you maybe transfer some of it into a smaller bottle and put the rest in your other luggage. Or buy some when you get to where you are going?

I agree, I think they will make you chuck any liquid over 3 oz. Plus it has to fit inside that quart sized bag. I had some facial mousturizer that was 4 oz that made it through from Manchester, NH (I thought the limit was 4, not 3). But even though it was only half-full, they made me remove it from my carryon on my way home from Minneapolis.

I think if I were you, I would find a small bottle to take with you. Better yet, can your child do chewables, or fast melting meds?

Denae

Edited to add - ignore this. I was mistaken.

We have flown 3 RTs so far this year and have never experienced any trouble carrying on medications. Each time I carried a full size bottle of Children's Tylenol on with me; not to mention the 14 oz bottle of hydrocodone cough syrup! The TSA site exempts all liquid medications from the 3 oz rule. (Recent London terrorists were doctors. :scared1: )

TSA -To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

Baby formula, breast milk, and juice if a baby or small child is traveling;
All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

Thanks Miss J!

I did check the TSA site and thought that it was okay, but it wasn't 100% clear (it didn't specifically say "yes, children's tylenol is okay").
So, I thought I'd double check with the true experts!

Usually, I go to whatever airline's website I'm flying and see what TSA requirements they have listed.

Darth Cupcake - Have you had any problems explaining the larger medicine bottle? we get my 3 DD's prescriptions through mail order and they come in a bottle that is almost liter sized! luckily they all take the same med, so we will only need to take one of their precription bottles, but i don't want to check it, and i don't want to put it in a smaller bottle since the prescription label is glued to the large bottle, and since it is a clear liquid i definitley want the label!
anybody else have experience with this?

I did take a bottle of the liquid Motrin before for the kids and they did not make me ditch it. I was a 4 oz bottle.

Darth Cupcake - Have you had any problems explaining the larger medicine bottle? we get my 3 DD's prescriptions through mail order and they come in a bottle that is almost liter sized! luckily they all take the same med, so we will only need to take one of their precription bottles, but i don't want to check it, and i don't want to put it in a smaller bottle since the prescription label is glued to the large bottle, and since it is a clear liquid i definitley want the label!
anybody else have experience with this?

I've never had a problem. I've never been asked to explain the large bottle, even when it was half full. I put it and the other prescription medications I have into a separate bag and simply tell them that all the bottles are doctor prescribed medications. We travel often and I've never been asked about any of the prescription medications. I would keep your RXs in their original prescription labeled bottles. I hope this helps.

Meds do NOT have to be Rx to be exempt from the size limit; OTC meds are just fine, too. I always travel with two baggies, one marked toiletries and one marked medications, and the "medications" baggie is gallon-sized.

Now, personally, I would absolutely not carry really large litre-size bottles when traveling, just because of the weight and the space they take up in the carryon. Can you call the pharmacy and ask them to send you a duplicate set of labels that you can put on smaller bottles? Since we travel a lot, I always ask for a duplicate bottle whenever I fill a scrip for any med that might be travelling; my pharmacist is happy to oblige.

Note that sunscreen is NOT covered under the "medications" exception, unfortunately. IMO, it should be.

NotUrsula-we considered putting it into smaller bottles, but because of the length of our vacation (2 weeks plus travel), and because it is for three of them, splitting it into smaller bottles really would not save us any space. Thanks for the advice though! i will call and get the additional labels for the meds that are not "communal". Like so many other familys, our girls suffer from severe environmental allergies and asthma. i would rather be safe and take everthing that we might need, than be caught with sick and miserable kids!

I've found it helpful to carry a printout from the TSA website of the "exceptions" rule for the occasional security screener who is unaware that we can bring medications over the 3oz size limit. I have allergies and asthma that require a number of liquid and inhaled medicines, and once had someone try to tell me that they needed to be under 3 oz and fit in the quart size bag or else be in my checked luggage. We finally had to call in a supervisor, who had to look it up on the TSA website, before it was cleared. Ever since then I have brought a printout from the website with me, and I've only had to show it twice in dozens of flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter