Airline question?

What route and what airlines? While SW is rarely the best rate for me from Seattle, ive never seen such a rate on Delta, Alaska, etc.
When I've done my flight crawls in just the last few years, off of the top of my head, NYC-LAX, NYC-ATL, NYC-SEA, NYC-LAS, BOS-ORD, NYC-ORD, and NYC-JAX. Since my main base is the NYC airports and four airlines absolutely dominate that market, it's been pretty much every flight I've found where the LCC were more expensive. A sub-$100 RT restricted ticket on many of this city pairs is certainly not unheard of, and $300 for a fully flexible with all of the perks depending on the route. Also of note: a RT into NYC from smaller airports is usually much cheaper on a LCC, while a RT out of NYC is more expensive on a LCC, for the same city pair. You can find similar things happening at ORD/MDW, LAX, and a number of other large O&D markets. Supply and demand at work. :)

All of the legacies offer them, they may not be on the website or easy to find, but if you call them up or use a travel agent, they have them. You can also book them day of since they're completely unrestricted, and they're the ticket type that the military uses to send service members around under orders when they can't hitch a ride on Air Mobility Command. At least on AA, they also extend the same treatment to any military member in uniform regardless of ticket type and restrictions, and I believe other airlines do as well. The fare code for these tickets is Y.
Been the price consistently (note, not constantly but can be found with regularity) for 3 years now.
Your dislike for Southwest has been quite clear. Fine. Glad you don't have to fly them. More seats for those who do like them.
No big deal.
Quite honestly I don't fly them unless I can't get a fare I like from home. I prefer to fly out of our little old 5 gate local airport if I can just to avoid the 2 hour drive
But in 2 weeks we are on one of those $49 flights that was just too good to pass up (and guess what, some have even been $39)
I personally don't like to fly them, but I do recognize they're a good force in the market and other people do like them quite a bit, and some of my friends and family prefer them, and don't bash people who do prefer them, but I also know the ins and outs of the legacies that many people do not know and are certainly not obvious or well advertised. WN also offers good service to many cities that could not support the operations requirements, including equipment opportunity cost, of one of the three major airlines, and they handle all sorts of destinations that are too big to be EAS, but too small for regular service from the big operators. Especially post-consolidation when we're now down to just 10 airlines with 100 seat or larger aircraft, this is incredibly important.

ATL is an interesting case, because WN picked it up when they bought up FL in 2011. They're doing loss leader flight dumping to try to grab as much O&D traffic from ATL as possible away from DL, which to be fair has a pretty horrific O&D operation there since they're so hub focused, including some of the worst checkpoints I've ever been through, even worse than BOS. ATL is the US' 38th largest city, and certainly doesn't rate attention from DL like it traditionally has had, but it's nearly the perfect size for WN to do much of the O&D traffic. Another interesting tidbit is that as they dumped the former FL 717 aircraft based out of ATL, DL bought almost all of them and they're still based out of ATL, and in many cases this included the crews to fly them.

FWIW, the last time I picked up a $50-ish fare was flying on AA from LHR to JFK, with myself and 12 other people on a 777. The airport fees out of LHR of course brought that to some hundreds, but the fare itself was less than $50.

When I've done my flight crawls in just the last few years, off of the top of my head, NYC-LAX, NYC-ATL, NYC-SEA, NYC-LAS, BOS-ORD, NYC-ORD, and NYC-JAX. Since my main base is the NYC airports and four airlines absolutely dominate that market, it's been pretty much every flight I've found where the LCC were more expensive. A sub-$100 RT restricted ticket on many of this city pairs is certainly not unheard of, and $300 for a fully flexible with all of the perks depending on the route. Also of note: a RT into NYC from smaller airports is usually much cheaper on a LCC, while a RT out of NYC is more expensive on a LCC, for the same city pair. You can find similar things happening at ORD/MDW, LAX, and a number of other large O&D markets. Supply and demand at work. :)

All of the legacies offer them, they may not be on the website or easy to find, but if you call them up or use a travel agent, they have them. You can also book them day of since they're completely unrestricted, and they're the ticket type that the military uses to send service members around under orders when they can't hitch a ride on Air Mobility Command. At least on AA, they also extend the same treatment to any military member in uniform regardless of ticket type and restrictions, and I believe other airlines do as well. The fare code for these tickets is Y.
I personally don't like to fly them, but I do recognize they're a good force in the market and other people do like them quite a bit, and some of my friends and family prefer them, and don't bash people who do prefer them, but I also know the ins and outs of the legacies that many people do not know and are certainly not obvious or well advertised. WN also offers good service to many cities that could not support the operations requirements, including equipment opportunity cost, of one of the three major airlines, and they handle all sorts of destinations that are too big to be EAS, but too small for regular service from the big operators. Especially post-consolidation when we're now down to just 10 airlines with 100 seat or larger aircraft, this is incredibly important.

ATL is an interesting case, because WN picked it up when they bought up FL in 2011. They're doing loss leader flight dumping to try to grab as much O&D traffic from ATL as possible away from DL, which to be fair has a pretty horrific O&D operation there since they're so hub focused, including some of the worst checkpoints I've ever been through, even worse than BOS. ATL is the US' 38th largest city, and certainly doesn't rate attention from DL like it traditionally has had, but it's nearly the perfect size for WN to do much of the O&D traffic. Another interesting tidbit is that as they dumped the former FL 717 aircraft based out of ATL, DL bought almost all of them and they're still based out of ATL, and in many cases this included the crews to fly them.

FWIW, the last time I picked up a $50-ish fare was flying on AA from LHR to JFK, with myself and 12 other people on a 777. The airport fees out of LHR of course brought that to some hundreds, but the fare itself was less than $50.
:confused3:confused:
Just a thought but maybe try to dumb your posts about 10 notches. Most are so far above the head of a majority posting here that I venture to guess some of us haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Maybe it's intentional though. Makes you come across as some sort of knowledgeable "airline insider" with more than your run of the mill info. The avg Dis poster doesn't know the terms and as mentioned by other posters, doesn't know the non-common abbreviations used for airlines.
So if you really want to offer assistance, don't be like a doctor talking over the head of their patients, please. Talk like you really want to help and use terms that 90% of the population know, not 10%. Because when you use the terms like these, it doesn't come across as being helpful, it comes across as just being pretentious
Just a thought but maybe I'm the only one that is lost when reading most of what you say.

Last edited:
Just a thought but maybe try to dump your posts about 10 notches. Most are so far above the head of a majority posting here that I venture to guess some of us haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Maybe it's intentional though. Makes you come across as some sort of knowledgeable "airline insider" with more than your run of the mill info. The avg Dis poster doesn't know the terms and as mentioned by other posters, doesn't know the non-common abbreviations used for airlines.
So if you really want to offer assistance, don't be like a doctor talking over the head of their patients, please. Talk like you really want to help and use terms that 90% of the population know, not 10%. Because when you use the terms like these, it doesn't come across as being helpful, it comes across as just being pretentious
Just a thought but maybe I'm the only one that is lost when reading most of what you say.
The airport codes I can handle, RT for round trip I can handle. The rest sounded like someone trying to be overly technical just because.

I suppose my 'learn something new today' is LCC means Low Cost Carrier (I googled it because I got lost way too many times in the prior post) :laughing:. I've never heard anyone on the DIS use LCC; budget/no-frills/discount yes (which I think we all kinda understand what that means) but LCC? Nope. Way too technical just because.

What route and what airlines? While SW is rarely the best rate for me from Seattle, ive never seen such a rate on Delta, Alaska, etc.

The Y, unrestricted, class is often referred to as "full fare coach" and it is almost always the most expensive "economy" (non-first non-business) fare. Long long time ago there were just 3 fare classes: F for first, Y for what is now full fare coach, and K for "economy." Sometimes the only difference between coach and economy back then was no meal served to economy passengers who were commingled with coach passengers. Way back when was when all tickets were changeable and refundable without charge and there were no frequent flyer miles or points or Walt Disney World.

Ruh roh. Isn’t MCO also OIA?

OIA is an abbreviation for the airport's name, Orlando International Airport. MCO is the 3 letter airport code which for OIA was derived from the airport's original name McCoy Field when it was military only. ORL was and still is the code for what is now Orlando Executive Airport which, long before Disney, handled all commercial passenger air travel in the area. Code OIA is for Ourilândia Do Norte Airport in Brazil. Not sure how many Brazilian tour groups fly out of there for MCO and then Disney.

Last edited:

The airport codes I can handle, RT for round trip I can handle. The rest sounded like someone trying to be overly technical just because.

I suppose my 'learn something new today' is LCC means Low Cost Carrier (I googled it because I got lost way too many times in the prior post) :laughing:. I've never heard anyone on the DIS use LCC; budget/no-frills/discount yes (which I think we all kinda understand what that means) but LCC? Nope. Way too technical just because.

What? All you need to do is look up airport codes. I doubt the poster was trying to dazzle you with his/her travel knowledge, but was just trying to help. If you don’t understand, just ignore the comment, don’t criticize.

What? All you need to do is look up airport codes. I doubt the poster was trying to dazzle you with his/her travel knowledge, but was just trying to help. If you don’t understand, just ignore the comment, don’t criticize.
Umm I clearly said I was ok with airport codes. Methinks in your haste to respond you missed that:

The airport codes I can handle, RT for round trip I can handle.

What I'm talking about is LCC, O&D, restricted ticket that connects I guess to military type along with EAS, fare code Y, WN (though we've established previously on the thread it's the designation for Southwest Airlines), DL (though it was discussed it meant Delta and in context I can infer that as well), etc.

All of this and the post as a whole is way more technical than the average person even understands and was way more confusing than needs be.

LCC=Low Cost Carrier
O&D= Origin and Destination
EAS= Essential Air Service
Fare Code Y= Full-fare economy class
Good lord do I need to go on a technical jargon treasure hunt especially when the question that prompted the comment was quite simple in it's meaning. The whole post was way more technical high level overview.

If you're going to tell me the average traveller not well-versed on flyertalk-type forums and knows all these things and could follow the post very easy by all means do so--if so I'm hanging around the wrong people then :laughing:

I can understand airport codes thank you very much :D

And FTR I was agreeing with a previous poster that commented on their opinion of the post requesting the poster to dumb down their post.

Unfortunately, around certain times of the year, flights are going to be expensive and there's not a ton you can do. Spirit airline is known for being quite low on the cost side, but additional bags there can get expensive quickly I hear, so I'd recommend them only if you don't have much luggage. I always fly Delta, especially because long-term if you get a sky miles card with them, you will get a free bag per person every flight you book, but that would be only if you plan to be flying a lot long term. Also it all depends where you're flying from, certain airports to others are popular and have tons of flights so they’re cheaper, i.e. Detroit to Orlando, Pittsburgh to Orlando etc. whereas more rural areas can tend to get pricey as there may not be as many flights to choose from. Another way to cheapen the flight would be to choose a flight with a layover, it's quite the hassle, extends the time to get there by quite a few hours but it can cut the cost quite a bit depending on when/where you book. I'd recommend looking at all the flights and just experimenting with times and days seeing what gets you the cheapest flight. I always base the day I start my trip on the cheapest flight as Saturdays are more expensive than Mondays. I hope this info is helpful, some of it might be obvious, but I thought it may help. Have a lovely trip!!!!

Last edited:

The OP of this thread is a novice flyer who came seeking advice and has limited to no knowledge
My question is, Is a post full of things that they have to look up to even start to understand it helpful?
Sometimes you have to consider the audience

The OP of this thread is a novice flyer who came seeking advice and has limited to no knowledge
My question is, Is a post full of things that they have to look up to even start to understand it helpful?
Novices post on Disboards all the time, and are frequently answered by posters using abbreviations that they don't know. So they have to either ask for the meaning, infer the meaning, or look it up. I agree that it's helpful when someone uses the abbreviation along with a term to teach the novice, but most posters on Dis don't bother to do that. So I don't think it's fair to single out and criticize this guy for what other Dis posters do all the time.

I personally found his knowledgeable posts more informative and interesting than many of the less knowledgable but easier to read posts that are more typical on this transportation forum. Even though I did have to look up some abbreviations.

Last edited:
Wow - this thread really got off track.

Arguments (or long discussions) about driving to another airport, or long technical stuff are nuts.

The original poster just want a little help. They of course could have started out with where they are flying from, as the answer can vary WIDELY depending on airport(s).

Just wow.

Unless I missed a post the OP didn't mention where they are flying from, dates and flexibility with regards to alternate airports and flexible dates.
Maybe the OP got a lesson in industry jargon, but the OP didn't give the details necessary to get concrete help.

FWIW Kayak let's you specify how many bags you want to check and if you'll be bringing a bin bag on the plane. It includes the applicable fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter