Airline Dress Code?

I really don't care what a person wears on an airplane so long as he does not stink and is not showing more than I care to see. I do not believe that a passenger who smells extremely foul should be allowed on board. The space is just too confined.

I don't understand why it matters what other adults wear (speaking about those saying adults shouldn't wear PJs). Assuming it's not some kind of "skimpy" PJs, what's wrong with basically sweat pans and a t-shirt (assuming they're not full of tears, rips, inappropriate sayings, etc)

I'm more irritable when I'm dressed up. In fact, today I am wearing something a little more dressy to work and it's really affected my vibe. Much rather be in my t shirt and shorts and flip flops.

Now to fly, I'll wear comfortable clothes that look nice. I even cheated on a flight home in August and wore shorts. I was comfortable, no one looked at me crossways, but I still felt a little self-conscious until I realized it did not phase anyone in the least. Maybe that was because I was also well-behaved :hippie:

Dh and I are heading to Alaska this August and I'm wondering what I'll wear to fly. I certainly will not leave home where it will be 100 degrees in my heaviest Alaska clothing.

I don't understand why it matters what other adults wear (speaking about those saying adults shouldn't wear PJs). Assuming it's not some kind of "skimpy" PJs, what's wrong with basically sweat pans and a t-shirt (assuming they're not full of tears, rips, inappropriate sayings, etc)
Because you ARE an adult and need to set an example 😉
Besides it’s all part and parcel of the slippery slope as you pointed out: next it’ll be babydoll pjs and people walking around in tshirts that say I’m with Stupid….

I would never wear jeans or shorts on a plane, and would never wear a t-shirt (of any color/description) out in public. A nice pair a chinos and a polo shirt are very comfortable, so you don't have to look like a slob in the name of being comfortable while flying. Yes, I seem to be from another era but after flying well over a million miles I have set basic minimum standards for myself. You do you, and I'll do me.

I recently read that about 85% of first class seats are now being paid for, either by outright purchase or paid upgrades after an coach ticket sale. There isn’t much inventory for free upgrades.

Even Triple Platinum Super Deluxe status fliers are having problems getting upgraded.

Just don't be offensive to the what the supermajority of 2 standard deviations would accept. Stay within that 95% line -- who really cares?

As usual, it's the 5% that make the waves for whatever reason.

Well if it's posted on the internet it must be true...
FWIW, I have seen some of those buzzfeed 'articles' about flying, and according to them airline staff do say they're more likely to upgrade someone who's better dressed. This article wasn't written like that (it seems to just state these tips as 'fact' without stating the basis for them. But I have seen other sources that seem to indicate this is the mindset of airline staff. Still not super reliable, I know, but it's something I guess?

FWIW, I have seen some of those buzzfeed 'articles' about flying, and according to them airline staff do say they're more likely to upgrade someone who's better dressed. This article wasn't written like that (it seems to just state these tips as 'fact' without stating the basis for them. But I have seen other sources that seem to indicate this is the mindset of airline staff. Still not super reliable, I know, but it's something I guess?
I've seen a Travel and Leisure article as well but these are all random travel blogs and FAs whom you don't actually know if they are in the present biz.

If you're talking about advice to give someone it's not going to pan out these days with a high enough likelihood to make it worth while for most. There's computer systems, upgrade offers well in advance, paid upgrades day of, even on the plane themselves. Flights aren't going out with tons of seats available to begin with. So if you're going to say "hey what's a good way to get an upgrade" your sure bet is to pay for it ;)

I really don’t care how passengers dress for flights, but I probably do roll my eyes at some who look like total slobs.

I wear comfortable fairly casual clothes but still appear presentable.

For my first flight in 1968 dress clothing was the norm and basically de rigueur. My father wore a summer suit and tie. My mother and I wore dresses and hats. Maybe even white gloves. For a flight to Florida.

I would bet the buzzfeed article is based on fact, but my luck suggests it doesn't matter. The reason i think it might be true is based on similar stories, like, if you car is very clean, mechanics will treat it better when servicing it over a car that is dirty. but when the rubber hits the road, most airlines will still push for paid upgrades over free ones anyways, so iwouldn't hope that dressing up will help, but i'd personally rather be comfortable than uncomfortable.

Yup. Though some airlines (Qatar for one - which is where I usually get them) call them "lounge wear". And, yes, on a long/over-night flight much of the cabin is wearing them.

Honestly, I think if people are going to be jerks, they'll be jerks whether or not they change into the "lounge wear".

We flew this past weekend. The only person that genuinely gave me any real concern was an impeccably dressed woman that we dodged as she was stumbling away from a terminal bar. Sure, there were some cranky people experiencing flight delays and gate changes. There was even a late evening flight cancelation and that group of passengers was absolutely silent. The only truly obnoxious behavior I witnessed were a couple of 30-something aged guys that looked dressed for a nicer golf club. They walked up to the gate like they owned the place and cut the boarding line. They didn't say anything to the people they cut either. They just slipped right in and were seated near us in the cheap seats when we boarded. A number of us noticed and stood there slack-jawed, but the people they cut just waved it off...like rudeness is part of the flying experience.

All in all, it comes down to the person and their manners. They could be decked out in head to toe designer attire and be complete jerks while the disheveled guy in raggedy sweats is a true gentleman.

1709162841842.png

Article sounds like the author's opinion and never states HOW he determined these things. I have never been on a flight where someone gets upgraded AFTER being seated. #3 seems like they are confusing the check-in process with boarding. I almost never interact with other passengers prior to boarding and certainly not when doing check-in. Clearly if the plane is full, there won't be many/any seats to do upgrades (#5) which seems rather obvious. Upgrading your seat with miles is how it works for EVERYONE..............IF you have enough miles, you can upgrade your seat. Anyone who flies and has accumulated miles already knows that.

I think the article would be more credible if he listed his sources. For example, did he ever interview any airline employees to get their input about how upgrades are actually handled?

View attachment 837662

Article sounds like the author's opinion and never states HOW he determined these things. I have never been on a flight where someone gets upgraded AFTER being seated. #3 seems like they are confusing the check-in process with boarding. I almost never interact with other passengers prior to boarding and certainly not when doing check-in. Clearly if the plane is full, there won't be many/any seats to do upgrades (#5) which seems rather obvious. Upgrading your seat with miles is how it works for EVERYONE..............IF you have enough miles, you can upgrade your seat. Anyone who flies and has accumulated miles already knows that.

I think the article would be more credible if he listed his sources. For example, did he ever interview any airline employees to get their input about how upgrades are actually handled?
I can just speak for Delta, but doesn't the computer handle the upgrades? Often before you get to the gate? And how many people even go to the counter? How would the gate agent know the name of the "well dressed" person sitting in the chairs waiting for the flight to board?

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

These may have been true in the 70’s to mid 90’s. This is unrealistic for todays USA carriers. First class, business class, and Economy Comfort will be filled by upgrades from frequent fliers that request it. If those seats miraculously don’t get filled (99.5% of the time they are filled domestically) they will go to non revenue passengers (airline employees working or on pleasure travel.) International is a little different, but that article is still in a dreamland about how dressing well will score you an upgrade. Simply not the case.

Sadly, for US airlines it isn’t the case. Back in the day, sure. Now? No. It’s going to medallion members, frequent fliers, and last resort if flight is oversold in back and non revenue isn’t getting on, whomever paid highest fare for their ticket.

I can just speak for Delta, but doesn't the computer handle the upgrades? Often before you get to the gate? And how many people even go to the counter? How would the gate agent know the name of the "well dressed" person sitting in the chairs waiting for the flight to board?
Correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter