Airfare to Hawaii

baileysgm

Mouseketeer
Originally posted this on the resorts board, but I don't think that was the best place. Please excuse the duplicate posting

On a whim, I booked a week at Aulani for March 14. I have never thought about going to Hawaii before and have no idea what airfare should be from Los Angeles.

Hawaiian Airlines is the only carrier I've found with a schedule that works for us. Is there a ballpark figure I should shoot for? Currently the round trip prices for Coach to Coach plus are $734-$834 for the times we need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, that is an "ok" fare, not great but ok. They just had a big sale but I think it was for dates this Fall, and I am not sure mid-March dates were included. You can sometimes find flights in the $400 range from the West Coast to HNL but, again, probably not for the dates around Spring Break like you have chosen. If I was you, I might be tempted to wait to see if you can catch a lower fare. But, waiting comes with the gamble of being able to secure the flight times and seats you desire. How many people are traveling? The longer you wait, the harder it may be to reserve seats together.

I will say, we LOVE Hawaiian Airlines. They are our carrier of choice to the Islands.

Good luck!

Originally posted this on the resorts board, but I don't think that was the best place. Please excuse the duplicate posting

On a whim, I booked a week at Aulani for March 14. I have never thought about going to Hawaii before and have no idea what airfare should be from Los Angeles.

Hawaiian Airlines is the only carrier I've found with a schedule that works for us. Is there a ballpark figure I should shoot for? Currently the round trip prices for Coach to Coach plus are $734-$834 for the times we need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To try to help you, wondering if that has a stop or is non-stop. United non-stop from LAX is as low as $700.

- Dreams

For us in march 2012 (2 weeks before Easter) we paid $500 rnd trip. One flight was SEA to HNL and the other was HNL to LAX (did a Disney cruise after Hawaii). We flew in on a Sat and out on a Fri (on Hawaiian airlines).

This past April (2 weeks after Easter) we paid $800 rnd trip (to/from SEA). We flew in on a Fri and out in a Sun (on Alaska).

We just booked our flights for our Feb trip (again, in/out SEA) and paid $490 rnd trip. I stalked kayak obsessively and jumped when it lowered. That same flight is now $888. We also had to book a cpl people at a time. There are 5 of us and when I put in 5 the $888 showed up. When I put in 3, the $490 showed up. I booked those then checked the website and it released another 3 seats at that price so I booked the other 2 then (but was prepared to book at the high price). We are flying in on Thur and leaving on a Sat (on Hawaiian).

All those flights are non stop.

My sister and I flew from Baltimore to Kona (I know, not quite the same) during the first week of March this year. The price was about $800 round trip for each of us. We flew out on a Wednesday and back on a Tuesday with a stop each way (and a plane change) in Phoenix. One would think that flying from the west coast should be less expensive than flying from the east coast.

We flew Hawaiian in September, LAS to HNL round trip for $624.

We flew from Atlanta to Honolulu last summer. I had been watching the flights constantly and the pricing had been the same for weeks. After the 1st of the year, they shot up about $500 per ticket. I finally booked them because I never saw the price go back down much. We only needed one flight since the others were on miles.

I realize that Atlanta to Honolulu is not even comparable to flights from the west coast. I would wait a little while longer, but try to book them before the 1st of the year.

Thanks for all the info! just noticed that Kayak is also advising me to wait so I'll try to tough it out. I get really nervous when I don't have airfare booked...I'm always sure they will sell out the next day;)

My sister and I flew from Baltimore to Kona (I know, not quite the same) during the first week of March this year. The price was about $800 round trip for each of us. We flew out on a Wednesday and back on a Tuesday with a stop each way (and a plane change) in Phoenix. One would think that flying from the west coast should be less expensive than flying from the east coast.

Prices from NY are $930 and up for next year with 1 stop. So $800 was great from MD but doesn't seem good from west coast.

I have to admit that I do not understand airfare prices. How could a plane really make money by charging less on airfare from the east coast than from west coast or for that matter from the middle of the country? Jet fuel is expensive and they would use 3X as much from the east coast versus the west and at least double from where we live in Houston. I cannot remember the last time I flew where the plane wasn't packed. So it can't be to fill empty seats. I am so :confused3

Actually that sounds good. Depending upon when spring break is next year, prices could really escalate. Also, IMO, Hawaiian Airlines is the BEST air carrier to Hawaii. Whenever booking airlines or cruises, you just never know whether the prices are going up or down. It's a crap shoot. :confused3

I have to admit that I do not understand airfare prices. How could a plane really make money by charging less on airfare from the east coast than from west coast or for that matter from the middle of the country? Jet fuel is expensive and they would use 3X as much from the east coast versus the west and at least double from where we live in Houston. I cannot remember the last time I flew where the plane wasn't packed. So it can't be to fill empty seats. I am so :confused3
takeoff and ground taxiing (or sitting!) has more effect than actual distance (as do predominant winds aloft, like the jet stream). Some pilots request take-offs from the non- prominent runway to save a huge amount of fuel. Larger airports are much more congested and therefore burn a TON of fuel.

United "holding" steady at $715 nonstop from Newark to Honolulu for Friday-Friday travel May-Early June time period!:cool1::cool1:

Saturday-Saturday travel is higher and Thursday-Thursday is a little lower than $715...Want to depart Honolulu late Friday evening and return back into Newark Saturday before noon....Will need to recover...Back to work Monday!

CANNOT WAIT FOR AULANI! THE PICS ARE REALLY "CALLING US"!!!!!!!!:beach::beach::beach::beach:

United "holding" steady at $715 nonstop from Newark to Honolulu for Friday-Friday travel May-Early June time period!:cool1::cool1:

Saturday-Saturday travel is higher and Thursday-Thursday is a little lower than $715...Want to depart Honolulu late Friday evening and return back into Newark Saturday before noon....Will need to recover...Back to work Monday!

CANNOT WAIT FOR AULANI! THE PICS ARE REALLY "CALLING US"!!!!!!!!:beach::beach::beach::beach:

Can you tell me the dates and/or flight numbers? Thats a $200+ difference from what I see from NY during the second week of June. Were in CT and would drive the extra distance to save $600 on 3 tickets!

United on Fri-Fri still $715 month of May, even departing last Fri of May into the first week of June returning on a Friday...

United is "pretty savvy" knowing that the "summer months of June-August" are very busy travel months in Hawaii...Notice starting 2nd week of June, Friday to Friday it is substantially more! We are able to travel before airline tickets spike with higher demand starting mid June-end of August...Heavy vacation time with people with younger kids who are tied to school vacation schedules!

Good Luck! You will do SO MUCH better making the 3 hour trip down to Newark than leaving from Hartford Bradley! Service is SO LIMITED to Hawaii from Bradley...Probably 1 or 2 flights at most per day on Delta and it is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK ON BOOKING!:goodvibes:goodvibes KEY IS TO BOOK EARLY obviously as soon as you secure an Aulani reservation!:goodvibes:goodvibes

takeoff and ground taxiing (or sitting!) has more effect than actual distance (as do predominant winds aloft, like the jet stream). Some pilots request take-offs from the non- prominent runway to save a huge amount of fuel. Larger airports are much more congested and therefore burn a TON of fuel.

So that makes my question of why are fares less on the east coast even more relevant. Because the larger airports in the east would have more planes sitting on the runways more often.

I wonder how much of it is popular routes. For example, I found when researching average airfares this fall for Sea to San Juan, PR (we are sailing DCL next fall out of there) that it was cheaper on average to fly Sea to the Caribbean then from east coast to the Caribbean.

I wonder if it's just cause east coast folks tend to fly there then us west coasters. Same could be said for Hawaii routes (charge more for west coasters who go to Hawaii more frequently then easy coasters who go to Caribbean more)?

They might want to charge more for routes they know are in high demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter