• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AGT Final Four ... Thoughts?

WaltD4Me

<font color=royalblue>PS...I tried asking for wate
I hate to say this, but last night was a little boring. Michael Grasso should have been in the Final 4.

I love Prince Poppycock, I think he was great last night, I would pay to see his show......but I think he made the wrong choice for the Final 4 performance.

Michael Grimm. I like the guy, he was good last night, but there are so many like him, I hope he puts out an album now that does well, I don't see him as a Vegas act or that he should win a million dollars.

Jackie Evancho...should have been Michael Grasso. I totally disagree with Piers that she should win. It was beautiful, but........

Fighting Gravity. I feel for those guys, they had to come up with and execute an entire new routine in a week, I know that's part of it, but Michael Grimm and Jackie Evancho just had to sing songs they have probably sung hundreds of times before, to come up with and put together a whole routine must have been tough. It was good, but not as good as previous performances IMHO.

To me it comes down to Prince Poppycock and Fighting Gravity. I voted for Prince Poppycock. I hope he wins, but I have no idea who will. If you go by Facebook, Prince Poppycock has WAY more fans to his page than the others, but that may mean nothing.....we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree that PP should win AGT and with Sharon that Piers x'ing was uncalled for. I was telling my DW when the Final Four was announced that PP would need to go back to singing Opera to beat Jackie. DW & I thought that he did a wonderful job last night and everyone else did a so-so job. Looking back at PP's past performances, his act would be a headline Vegas act with alot of lasting potential

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:Go Prince Poppycock:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I'm going to agree with both assessments.

Piers was full of crap regarding "discovering new talent". Both Jackie Evancho and Michael Grimm have albums on iTunes.

Jackie Evancho is an oddity. She sings beautifully, but the hook is that she's 10 and looks like any other kid.

How many times can you watch a 10 year old in her baptism outfit under angelic, heavenly lighting?

Michael Grimm sounds like Michael Bolton. He's singing the classic blues songs...which are audience favorites anyway....and he's doing an okay job. The operative word being "okay".

I cant see paying to see him live.

In my mind...it's between PP and FG. Las Vegas audiences will pay to see those two shows.

I know I could get flamed for this, but Jackie Evancho skeeves me out a bit....she reminds me of a robot (remember "Small Wonder" anyone?)

- D

I know I could get flamed for this, but Jackie Evancho skeeves me out a bit....she reminds me of a robot (remember "Small Wonder" anyone?)

- D

No flames from me Leah. I said the same thing the first time I saw her. Except the part about Small Wonder! :lmao:

Ooooooooo, I just read the Prince Poppycock is doing a duet with someone tonight on the results show. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to be surprised, but I'm excited!

I voted for the first time in the competition last night. Piers only buzzed PP because he wants Jackie to win. It was obvious that PP was having some technical issues but he rose above them and sang beautifully. I told DS that Jackie should do Ave Maria (I guess she was listening).

I voted for the first time in the competition last night. Piers only buzzed PP because he wants Jackie to win. It was obvious that PP was having some technical issues but he rose above them and sang beautifully. I told DS that Jackie should do Ave Maria (I guess she was listening).

I kind of of hoped Piers buzzed PP to motivate people to vote for him...probably not, but that might be what happens.

PP is not doing a duet with Jackie. She is doing a duet with someone else.

I've heard people (and the above article) mention that Fighting Gravity made a mistake last night. Did anyone notice it?

Ooooooooo, I just read the Prince Poppycock is doing a duet with someone tonight on the results show. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to be surprised, but I'm excited!

Is it with Kelvis??? That would really excite me.

I'll admit that my classical music bias probably influences me here. If it comes down to PP or Jackie Evancho, I'll go with the latter. The world needs more people who can sing like her (I'm biased, remember).

While child prodigies, in general, can be a bit creepy or an oddity, voices like hers are very rare, at any age, enough that I can almost overlook her constant use of the "baptism outfit under angelic, heavenly lighting?" :lmao:

I enjoyed PP before last night. Unfortunately, I have to say that, this once, I agreed with Piers. PP took himself too seriously. He is at his best with showmanship and ignoring his vocal talents (which are usually quite good, but he should not have tried Nessun Dorma, especially since he had to take it down a step or two).

I thought it was disrespectful for Piers to buzz out Prince Poppycock, so I'm glad Sharon ripped him a new one for doing that. I was telling one of my friends last night what PP did for his finals performance, as she was in her car on the way home when it happened.

Her assessment of the "serious" PP was that he was showcasing his vocal range in order to market himself, not necessarily win the competition. It definitely will open doors for him that were probably closed to him before, if he really just wants to pursue an opera career.

I thought that she might be on to something with that theory. While it's true that previous contestants often second-guess themselves and don't take a risk for the finals, it could be possible he didn't care if he won if it meant getting hired for his passion...singing. (Of course, I'm sure he does want to win the million bucks. Who wouldn't?)

But the biggest thing I took from last night was that we had a teaser from the touring show, with the variety acts played to "Bulletproof". That was so entertaining, and I'd buy a ticket for the touring show based on that.

I saw on Facebook that there will be an appearance by Cirque LOVE from Vegas, the show with Beatles music. I saw it in Vegas in November, loved it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll be doing tonight.

Oh, I agree with the comments about Prince Poppycock and Fighting Gravity being Vegas acts more than the others. I have no doubt Fighting Gravity will have a show there regardless of the final outcome.

I've heard people (and the above article) mention that Fighting Gravity made a mistake last night. Did anyone notice it?

I believe that it was the fact that, when they opened the door at the end, the TV audience, at least, could see "backstage", breaking the illusion a bit.

I just found out a couple of days ago that our usual babysitter has a brother in Fighting Gravity, so watched the show for the first time last night. Still, I find myself agreeing with other posters regarding Prince Poppycock taking himself too seriously and the kid being a little creepy :rolleyes1

So glad I am not the only one a little weirded out by Jackie, I am from Pittsburgh, and it is almost sacreligious to say anything bad about her right now.

I am all for either Fighting Gravity or PP, both are Vegas material, the other two will succeed but are not a Vegas show act.

I'm not a big AGT follower so please forgive me for being uneducated but where is it required that the winner should be able to be a Las Vegas performer? Why is Las Vegas preferable to Carnegie Hall (or Target, for that matter).

I guess I'm on the minority. Any time I hear such a magnificent voice I don't look at the package so much. Jackie does have the voice of an angel. And she looks like one too. And Sharon is right. Ave Maria is a very hard song to sing. Go Jackie.

Kim

- D

:lmao: Maybe they should have checked her back ;) She is an obviously extremely talented little girl, but she seems a little rehearsed when she is talking during interviews or to the host.

They were all great last night but I think Fighting Gravity would be the obvious winners here. They just scream "Vegas." No matter what I am sure all of these 4 will get some sort of performance deal out of it, and they all deserve it!

There was a point in the FG show where you could see some of the "black" folks picking up stuff.

The "entire" Top 10 will be performing in the AGT "Headliner" show in Vegas and other cities.

So really if you make the top 10, you will get profesional exposure and will have a performing contract.

(From the AGT Website)

America's Got Talent, the hit television variety show is launching its first ever nationwide tour this fall, bringing the country's most dynamic and diverse entertainers to 25 cities. America's Got Talent's spectacular live stage version will be hosted by Jerry Springer and features the Season 5 winners as well as other dynamic finalists and fan favorites from the hit show.

America's Got Talent Live tour will feature: 12-year-old ballroom dancing partners Anna and Patryk from New York; inspirational singing sisters Christina & Ali of Idaho Falls, ID; spectacular black-light illusion performance troupe Fighting Gravity from Blacksburg, VA; jaw-dropping 10-year-old classical singing sensation Jackie Evancho from Pittsburgh, PA; death-defying championship stunt bike rider Jeremy VanSchoonhoven of Talent, OR; mystifying magician/illusionist Michael Grasso of Cape May, NJ; multi-talented singer/songwriter/guitarist Michael Grimm of Hancock County, MS; glamorous baroque opera singer Prince Poppycock of Los Angeles, CA; young and energetic dance troupe Studio One Young Beast Society of Orlando, FL; and 18-year-old teen pop singer/musician Taylor Mathews of Alexandria, LA.

America's Got Talent is a trademark of FremantleMedia North America, Inc and Simco Limited. Licensed by FremantleMedia Enterprises.

I'm not a big AGT follower so please forgive me for being uneducated but where is it required that the winner should be able to be a Las Vegas performer? Why is Las Vegas preferable to Carnegie Hall (or Target, for that matter).

The prize for the show is some cash and contract with a Las Vegas hotel to be a headliner with your own show.

Which makes me ask.....which act would you pay $100 + to sit and watch for 90 minutes.

All four are talented....but I'm not sure I could watch Jackie Evancho in her white dress being lit like the kid in Amityville Horror for 90 minutes with losing my mind.

The slot machines would be calling me.

This also goes for Michael Grimm. Not sure how many "Grandma raised me" stories I'd want to hear before I left to play 3 card poker.

Fighting Gravity already has a Vegas ready show and all Prince Poppycock needs are a few showgirls / boys and his show is ready for the strip.

The other two.....no so sure.

Jackie Evancho is pure musical talent, but more important is who could carry a Vegas act. I think Fightng Gravity or Prince Poppycock could definitely carry a Vegas show.
I did notice the Fighting Gravity mess up...one of the 'back up members' was clearly shown in one of the shots. With a professional Vegas team working with them, they would be amazing.
Michael Grimm is wonderful and I would buy a cd, but wouldn't spend $$$ in Vegas to see him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter