Age recommendations?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We are just in the beginning stages of planning a possible ABD vacation. Our boys are currently 8 and soon to be 6. What do you feel are the idea ages to truly have a great experience with ABD? I am think at least 10 and 8. My boys are not real adventurous.

I tend to agree with you - 8 is probably the youngest I would want my kids to be on these trips. You want to be able to enjoy yourself, and let the kids have a bit of independence hanging out with the other kids and making friends, which is easier when they are a little older. We took my girls in 2008 when they were 9 and 10, and it was perfect (and again this year, when they were 10 and 11, also perfect). These trips are too expensive to have to spend them catering to a grumpy kid - you can do that at home!

It may also depend on the trip and your kids' personalities. If they like meeting new people, seeing new places, and don't mind being on a schedule that they have no control over, they will enjoy a group trip! If they hate bus rides and don't have a lot of patience for waiting, you might want to reconsider (depending, again, on the trip).

I think that the Spirit of America trip this July 4th would be the best for them.

Ok- really I'm just worried that there won't be enough people & my trip will be cancelled.

Our DD will be 10 on our trip. We're taking her this year b/c she is just starting US history lessons this year and we hope that this will make it more exciting for her in the future. Plus, we need a break from WDW, but we're not ready for a complete break away from Disney.

TCHrrx -- LOL! I read your post a few times before I got the joke...

The Spirit of America trip sounds like a lot of fun, and it is timed perfectly with a 10 year old's school lessons. I keep telling myself I'll just take my kids on that kind of trip myself - but we haven't done it yet! Maybe someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter