Age check on 7 Dwarfs

In November my 7 year old was able to ride with a 9 year old - off the top of my head I remember 7DMT, Primeval Whirl, Big Thunder. They were asked ages multiple times on each ride to be sure she was 7. We were riding with them as well but that never factored in. So in my experience, yes they can be strict about the age minimum of 7.

Hope that helps.

In November my 7 year old was able to ride with a 9 year old - off the top of my head I remember 7DMT, Primeval Whirl, Big Thunder. They were asked ages multiple times on each ride to be sure she was 7. We were riding with them as well but that never factored in. So in my experience, yes they can be strict about the age minimum of 7.

Hope that helps.

A 7 year old can ride with a 9 year old because at 7 they can ride alone. Under 7 must be accompanied by someone 14 or older though. The OP will have 3 children under 7, and only 2 adults, so therein lies the problem. 7DMT is the questionable one because they don't always allow for seating in a different row. Barnstormer also has this issue as it is two per row and only one row per car.

Forgive me, because I am exhausted and have confused myself, but if my kids are 7, 7, and 8 when we go in a few weeks, then any of them could “ride alone” if needed? I put that in quotes because we will post likely all always we there, but we are an odd number.

Anyone 7 and over can ride any ride alone as long as the meet the height requirement. They may be asked their age by a CM.

Yep, a 7+yo's can ride alone, together, and use also use single-rider lines, etc. And the CM's do ask a lot about age just about any time a 6-8yo is going to be seated alone.

Hope that helps.

Correct, I don't know about 7DMT, but the general rule at WDW is that anyone under 7 must have a guest age 14 or older in the same row.

Barnstormer also has this issue as it is two per row and only one row per car.

In my own personal experience, have seen riders 6 and under turned away from Barnstormer because they require a 14yo to sit in the same row as them.

Correct, I don't know about 7DMT, but the general rule at WDW is that anyone under 7 must have a guest age 14 or older in the same row.

It is not always the "same row." In many cases is is the same "ride vehicle" which means individual car without a coupling and the adult is to be seated in the row behind. 7DMT seems to be the exception where they enforce the rows rule, probably because of the distance between the rows.

It is not always the "same row." In many cases is is the same "ride vehicle" which means individual car without a coupling and the adult is to be seated in the row behind. 7DMT seems to be the exception where they enforce the rows rule, probably because of the distance between the rows.

I have seen same row enforced pretty strenuously at both WDW and DL...of course, most of the x2 seating is on thrill rides at WDW. With my own then 6yo, I've seen it strictly enforced on Barnstorming, Splash Mtn, RNRC, Everest, BMTRR, Test Track and even Journey into Imagination. At DL, I've also seen same row enforced on the dark rides like Snow White's Scary Adventure, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Alice in Wonderland, etc., as well.

AFAIK, the rule is same row, exceptions are made at CM's discretion.

Last edited:
Our 8-year-old daughter was repeatedly asked her age while riding 7DMT last Feb-Mar. We rode several times in a row one morning, she sat by herself a time or two, but was asked her age each time.

I have seen same row enforced pretty strenuously at both WDW and DL...of course, most of the x2 seating is on thrill rides at WDW. With my own then 6yo, I've seen it strictly enforced on Barnstorming, Splash Mtn, RNRC, Everest, BMTRR, Test Track and even Journey into Imagination. At DL, I've also seen same row enforced on the dark rides like Snow White's Scary Adventure, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Alice in Wonderland, etc., as well.

AFAIK, the rule is same row, exceptions are made at CM's discretion.

The only thing I could find was from a policy change in 2013:
"The NEW policy is that if a child is UNDER SEVEN, someone FOURTEEN OR OLDER be in the SAME ROW or in the row behind them in the SAME VEHICLE." This was posted on a non-official site though as a news item.

On the DL dark rides were they refusing to allow odd-numbered families with too many children under 7 to board the rides at all? I mean, they will usually direct parties to fill the same row when possible, but that's really an efficiency thing. I mean, I really don't know for sure, but the ride vehicle thing is what I've always heard and the term "ride vehicle" is often used in the Disney vernacular.

So how does a family with 3 children ride? Will disney allow one parent to wait with the other children while one parent rides with a child individually? Not allowing them to ride at all sounds very unmagical :earseek:

So how does a family with 3 children ride? Will disney allow one parent to wait with the other children while one parent rides with a child individually? Not allowing them to ride at all sounds very unmagical :earseek:

Yes, it can be difficult to manage that, especially if it's a single adult. Then, the Rider Switch isn't an option. Barnstormer is the one that is most problematic because of the seating arrangement, and as discussed at length, 7DMT. The only way around it is to try and merge your party with another willing group, but that's not going to be something everyone wants to do. I have sometimes seen CMs at load platforms trying to help with finding a willing rider, especially when an unsuspecting party made it all the way to the platform before finding out there was an issue with the seating.

My 6 year old was NOT allowed to ride with my 12 year old with me and my son sitting directly behind them on Mine Train. Said she had to be 7 even with me sitting right there. Yet they allowed it on Triceratop spin with me sitting behind her.

Big Thunder you will be able to for sure. Splash Mountain I would have to guess no. Guests are seated one in front of the other, not side by side. Have fun!
it is space mountain that you sit behind each other not splash mountain

My 6 year old was NOT allowed to ride with my 12 year old with me and my son sitting directly behind them on Mine Train. Said she had to be 7 even with me sitting right there. Yet they allowed it on Triceratop spin with me sitting behind her.

That seems to be policy. On some rides you can be a row back, and on others, including 7DMT, you can't. Space Mountain for example you would have to sit behind because of the single file seating, but you cannot be seperated by the car coupling.

Not been on seven dwarfs yet this trip, but my 6.5 year old has been asked his age on a number of rides where he was trying to sit with an older child, and not been allowed to do so. On Figment the children could sit in a row together but it had to be the front one

There aren't too many rides where it comes into play. Barnstormer, 7DMT, EE, and RnR are rides that only seat two across. All the others can fit three. (Space Mountain does three, one in front of the other.) By the time you get to EE and RnR, if all three kids are tall enough, usually you have at least one old enough to ride alone. So, if you have to use RS on Barnstormer and 7DMT, you can. One of the reasons we love WDW is that our family of five isn't constantly having to choose someone who's willing to sit alone.

Yes, they will give you rider swap. It’s a wee bit cumbersome though since you have to ride the ride 3 separate times.

Right now I have a FP for my DD (10) and DS (6.5) for 7DMT. I was hoping they could ride together. I can't seem to get another one (off site so had to book late). Will they let me do RS? With only 2 FP?

They did not allow my 6 yr old to ride with my 8 yr old on 7DMT even if I was in the same car. It may just depend on the CM.

I wonder what they will let me do with only 2 FP... I have been refreshing constantly to get a third but no luck. I was just going to let the 10 and 6 year old ride..

Funny, my 5 and 8 yr olds rode together on 7DMT several times during EMM 2 days ago. Forgot it was even supposed to be disallowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter