After listening to Kathy and Teresa's Segment...

AB6876

Mouseketeer
It got me thinking in reference to the explosion in Halifax. My great-grandmother was born and raised in Halifax. She moved to the Boston area after the explosion when she met and married my great-grandfather. He was sent to Halifax to aid with the recovery / cleanup effort. Anyway as the story was told to us, it was a German boat that fired on the vessel which caused to explosion. After hearing Teresa's story I looked it up and she was right it is stated that the boats collided. So was this war type propaganda?? Or was it just my crazy great grandmother that had the story wrong lol...I would be interested to know if this story was common from some of the locals or even if they ever heard of this.

Hi! Your story is partly right in that at the time a lot of people thought that the Germans had attacked Halifax. Because Halifax at the time was on high alert for something to happen on the home front(there were always rumors), in the chaos immediately following the explosion that was the only explanation that made sense for many so I would imagine until eye witness reports started coming in that's what most people, help from the States included, thought.

I know alot of the info I read I think stated that when it happened, the local people first assumed it was the Germans bombing Halifax.

Your story is so interesting!!! It makes me wonder about all of the other people displaced, lost entire families or orphaned by this event. How it totally changed the course of their lives.

Do youknow if your Great Grandmother lost her family in the explosion or did they all move to Boston? the stories I read were so heartbreaking, The thought of losing all of your children or or in some cases the entire families is just too painful to even think about happening. And those that survived, what they must have endured both in body and mind, how they recovered and rebuilt just amazes me.

T

Stuff you missed in history class has a great podcast about the explosion. They talk a bit about why it happened (the ship with ammunitions didn't have its flags up because it didn't want to be targeted by submarines) and about the perceptions at the time. You should listen to it!

I found the stories of the explosion fascinating. I have been doing more reading since I returned from Halifax. Such a terrible event!!

Stuff you missed in history class has a great podcast about the explosion. They talk a bit about why it happened (the ship with ammunitions didn't have its flags up because it didn't want to be targeted by submarines) and about the perceptions at the time. You should listen to it!

LOVE Stuff You Missed in History Class!

you are right, there were a lot of people who assumed that it was an attack by the Germans. There was also a large population of people with German heritage in NS at the time (there still is) and unfortunatly they were persecuted during both WWI & WWII. So much so that many changed their names (some Muller's became Millers for example)

One of the worst things about the explosion is that there were a few smaller explosions first. This got everyone's attention and people started to go towards the harbour to see what was happening...school children also got up from their desks and went to the windows to see what was happening. That is one of the reasons that there were so many people blinded.

The whole north end of the city was flattened...not damaged....absolutly flattened and stoves that had been lit (this happened in December so everyone had their stoves on for heat and cooking) spread fire and since the firestations were damaged as well, the firemen couldn't keep up so that caused more damage. Add to this the fact that they had a major winter storm the next day...good lord...it must have been hell on earth for them.

My grandmother lived in Dartmouth (Woodside, just on the other side of Halifax harbour) at the time of the explosion. She was sick in bed that morning. Lucky for her, she slept with a pillow over her head (something my father and I inherited from her) and when the explosion happened, the force blew in all of the windows in her house in. Her bed was between the window and a dresser that had a mirror on it which shattered glass all over her bed. She had some minor cuts but would probably be one of the thousands that were blinded when the explosion happened if not for the pillow and blankets over her.

Meanwhile, my grandfather was living in Montreal and was working for CN Rail. He was sent down to Halifax to help with the cleanup. It was while he was down here that he met my grandmother and they fell in love. They always told us that if it wasn't for the Halifax Explosion, we wouldn't be here lol

Susan

For those of you who would like to read more. There are some great books out there. One of the best non-fiction books I have read is "Shattered City:The Halifax Explosion and the Road to Recovery" by Janet F. Kitz. There is also a great fictional account called "Barometer Rising" by Hugh MacLennan. I know that Harrison Ford expressed interest in making it into a movie when he was in Halifax filming a movie although it looks like nothing came of it so far.

Susan

you are right, there were a lot of people who assumed that it was an attack by the Germans. There was also a large population of people with German heritage in NS at the time (there still is) and unfortunatly they were persecuted during both WWI & WWII. So much so that many changed their names (some Muller's became Millers for example)

One of the worst things about the explosion is that there were a few smaller explosions first. This got everyone's attention and people started to go towards the harbour to see what was happening...school children also got up from their desks and went to the windows to see what was happening. That is one of the reasons that there were so many people blinded.

The whole north end of the city was flattened...not damaged....absolutly flattened and stoves that had been lit (this happened in December so everyone had their stoves on for heat and cooking) spread fire and since the firestations were damaged as well, the firemen couldn't keep up so that caused more damage. Add to this the fact that they had a major winter storm the next day...good lord...it must have been hell on earth for them.

My grandmother lived in Dartmouth (Woodside, just on the other side of Halifax harbour) at the time of the explosion. She was sick in bed that morning. Lucky for her, she slept with a pillow over her head (something my father and I inherited from her) and when the explosion happened, the force blew in all of the windows in her house in. Her bed was between the window and a dresser that had a mirror on it which shattered glass all over her bed. She had some minor cuts but would probably be one of the thousands that were blinded when the explosion happened if not for the pillow and blankets over her.

Meanwhile, my grandfather was living in Montreal and was working for CN Rail. He was sent down to Halifax to help with the cleanup. It was while he was down here that he met my grandmother and they fell in love. They always told us that if it wasn't for the Halifax Explosion, we wouldn't be here lol

Susan

That story gave me chills Susan ....

We had cousins who lived in the Queens Street area but were lucky enough to have had enough protection from the blast that the only damage was to plates falling off the wall. We have one of those chipped bowls in Mom and Dad's china cabinet.

What's facinating to me is that people find love in the most intense circumstances. I know it happens all the time, but while sitting here in complete comfort and safety, people do fall in love during times of devastation and chaos. :lovestruc

Thanks for all of the info everyone...
As the story goes my great grandmother was working in a chocolate factory when it happened. I guess all of the woman working were fine and no one was injured, I am not sure how far away they were. Anyway all the woman in the factory, in her words, went down to the "docks" when the navy from Boston arrived looking for husbands, lol!!! I guess a few of her friends met and married men from Boston and relocated.
They, my great grandmother and great grandfather, were married over 75 years. She went on to live to 107. It was always such a nice story, and when I heard the podcast talking about it I reminded me of the stories..
My husband and I are headed up on the cruise on sept 7 and really look forward to seeing all of the sites.

My husband and I are headed up on the cruise on sept 7 and really look forward to seeing all of the sites.

Make sure you walk over to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and see their display on the Explosion; it's excellent.

AB6876 - I bet that chocolate factory was the Moirs Chocolate factory in Woodside where my grandmother lived during the explosion (Dartmouth). It was built in the 1800's and closed in 2008. They made "Pot of Gold" chocolates which were a Altlantic Canadian tradition at Christmas.

Too cool!

Susan

Susan R said:
AB6876 - I bet that chocolate factory was the Moirs Chocolate factory in Woodside where my grandmother lived during the explosion (Dartmouth). It was built in the 1800's and closed in 2008. They made "Pot of Gold" chocolates which were a Altlantic Canadian tradition at Christmas.

Too cool!

Susan

That is awesome!!! Thanks :)

Applemomma said:
Make sure you walk over to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and see their display on the Explosion; it's excellent.

Thanks we will be sure to check it out!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter