After going a number of times has anyone else found themselves buying little to no souvenirs?

We buy pins. Every trip. Lots of them.
I usually buy one polo shirt. I wear them to work, so I keep a good stock.
I used to buy 1 lenox statue every time I went too. No more, no less. They closed the store I used to get them at (became star wars launch bay) so I don't anymore.

That's pretty much it.

For me, it really varies depending on the merchandise that is in the stores on any given trip. There are trips that I have come back with virtually nothing for myself, and there are trips that I still load up on all kinds of different things.

I've never been a big souvenir person. Maybe a t-shirt or Christmas ornaments, but that's it. I have enough stuff at home, I don't need more!

I rarely buy myself souvenirs anymore, but hubby and the boys always seem to find things they want. If anything, I'll get a new mug or some tasty treats to bring back home.

There was a period of time (mid 2000s) when I would walk in a Disney gift shop and see nothing that I want. But now I want EVERYTHING! I love the collaborations they've been doing with brands like Dooney & Bourke and Kate Spade. And also I love wearing the ears, so I always have to buy a new pair when I'm there - especially now that they've got those interchangeable bows!

I really ramped up my trip amount this past year, because it dawned on me in early 2016 that I'm an adult now and can do what I want... Most of my life my sister and I relied on our parents to plan our visits to Disney. Somewhere along the line I got old and didn't realize it... and so it didn't occur to me until last year, "Wait... i can just plan my own dang trips now." and turns out it's not that expensive when you're a solo traveler... without a family to pay for, so you can go way more frequently. Which... I've enjoyed.

Went to Disney World/Universal in Jan/Feb 2016 for Mardi Gras, Went back in Sept 2016 for Halloween/Food & Wine, Back again Dec 2016 for X-Mas, Back again for Jan/Feb 2017 for Art Fest/Mardi Gras, Went to DisneyLAND in May for Memorial Day & the Grand Opening of Mission Breakout, Went back to Universal only in Aug for a last stab at Dueling Dragons, and I'm going back for a big long week 1/2 trip later this month for Halloween/Food & Wine again. And somewhere along the way I bought a pass to both parks (it just made sense) so this will continue on into 2018...

THAT ramble said... (TLDR Version)...

The more I go back the less I buy. That first trip in Jan/Feb 2016, I bought a metric ton of crap, I bought a fair amount on a couple of the others... but I find it easier and easier to walk away from... day to day junk, haha. I'll usually pick up a pin to commemorate whatever special events I might be there for (Food & Wine, HHN, Whatever)... maybe a shirt. *Shrug* I won't say I don't still buy things, just that... there's less jumping out at me, haha.

See most of the same stuff when you return more frequently, so other than seasonal/limited time items, something new has to really grab me and catch my eye.

We don't buy as much merch anymore because when we go to DL and WDW, we see a lot of the same merch that is being used for both parks. Anytime we see something new, it really stands out for us - "oh, that's new!"

But when we go to Tokyo Disneyland, that's a different story, we go nuts! They change out their merch regularly so there's always something new there - holidays, park anniversaries, seasons, etc.

18 years ago, my mother and I went wild on the souvenirs. It was my first trip to Disney as an adult, and I bought a toy Buzz Lightyear, a toy Woody, a Maleficent porcelain figurine (looking at her on her shelf right now!), an Eeyore WDW t-shirt, a Tigger WDW sweatshirt, and a Swedish Chef t-shirt (loved that shirt, wore it out). There may have been more. I can't remember what Mom got, but the night before we left, we went bananas shopping.

Last year, which was our first visit since that one 18 years ago, we kind of did the same on the last night. We'd already bought shirts earlier in the week (Cute Minnie shirt for her, classic Mickey WDW t-shirt for me). Before we left Epcot on our last night we went to Mousegears and loaded up on little stuff: notepads, pens, magnets, keychains, Christmas ornaments, etc.)

When we go in December I think we'll be a bit more particular. I know I want a Vera Bradley purse, so I'm saving up for that. I could get one cheaper on eBay, but I look forward to actually picking one out in the shop on Main Street. We looked at them last year, but I just wasn't ready to spend the money on one.

I'm sure I'll get a shirt, possibly a MVMCP one.

I'd like to get another Christmas ornament from the shop in Liberty Square (never made it there last year).

And I'd like to get something specific to the Grand Floridian like a mug or magnet.

Speaking of mugs...we plan to get refillables (not on dining plan, purchasing separately), and I count them as souvenirs.

I'd also like to find something unique in the World Showcase, though not sure what exactly.

I'd like something Haunted Mansion related too.

Gee, I intended this reply to talk about how I wasn't planning on buying many souvenirs. Never mind. LOL.

We used to, but I think our decline in how much we buy is mostly related to how homogenized the merchandise has become. You used to find different stuff everywhere, now so much of the same stuff is everywhere. I should be happy it saves us money, but admittedly, it makes me sad too.

For me, it really varies depending on the merchandise that is in the stores on any given trip. There are trips that I have come back with virtually nothing for myself, and there are trips that I still load up on all kinds of different things.

This is me too. It all depends on what is available. I don't go for the typical souvenirs anymore, but I buy fine jewelry, occasional Dooney, Disney clothing I can wear to work, etc. So I may find a lot of things on one trip, and very little the next.

When there was more resort specific merchandise I used to make more purchases. I still may buy a hoodie or sweatshirt, but I really only buy mugs or cups. I have an unhealthy mug addiction, I have been told.

18 years ago, my mother and I went wild on the souvenirs. It was my first trip to Disney as an adult, and I bought a toy Buzz Lightyear, a toy Woody, a Maleficent porcelain figurine (looking at her on her shelf right now!), an Eeyore WDW t-shirt, a Tigger WDW sweatshirt, and a Swedish Chef t-shirt (loved that shirt, wore it out). There may have been more. I can't remember what Mom got, but the night before we left, we went bananas shopping.

Yeah! Another person who had about the same amount of time since they went to Disney World. My last time at Disney World was 2000 when I was on my advanced internship. Reading some of the responses I worry I'll be disappointed in quality of merchandise after all I was a merchandise cast member on my first CP Program. As a cast member I went to Property Control a bunch of times. I usually would get the snow globes because Disney would place them at Property Control for the littlest air bubble. The little things in the park I'd get were post cards. They were usually pretty cheap and you could even get post cards in the Gallery in the castle. (I liked looking at the cells but knew I'd never be able to afford those prices.)I always bought the big beer mugs in Germany for my dad. (My first trip as a child my sister and I bought glasses with characters on them. My dad joked that when the characters wore off they would be good beer mugs. Those were quality glasses characters are still there and I think we bought them in 82.) I did buy a pair of ears that my friend sewed my name on. Back then ears and autograph books were 5.30. The ears weren't as fancy as I've seen now. My first program I did buy more stuff thanks to Property Control. (I saw some rude people there. Cast Members would line up before they opened and once I even saw someone take something out of another person's basket. Sigh.) The next time on my advanced program I would pick a few things to purchase at the end of my program. I made a doll in Germany (for my future child which I still haven't had. I might end up giving to a niece but which one??). I knew the next time I went back which was supposed to be the next year I would buy the Alice in Wonderland Chess set. I loved how each piece was carved out. I'm hoping it is still there when I go back. I have to say I'm a bit worried that when I go back it will not be the same place I grew to love. I have heard so many people talk about the quality of the experience going down. I guess that would lead to a whole other post.

I don't think we were ever big buyers. I'm not one to collect things, but I have doing Pick a Pearl every trip since 2009.

I also pick up a t-shirt once in a while. I got a great beach towel in 2010 that was a purchase with a purchase.

I bought a few things first trip and still like to look at stuff but don't buy much. I usually buy one pin to represent my trip and that's it. I do still pin trade...love it.

I rarely buy souvenirs, but every year I have to get my Disney calendar to gaze at while I'm at work. I may pick up a keychain, and a traditional stop for snacks to bring home for the (grown) kids. I actually buy almost all of my Disney stuff online when the Disney Store has a sale. I am pretty cheap!

We do WDW every year. Kids are now DS 7, DD almost 2. DW always gets ears. I usually get a shirt. Kids get to pick one major toy (like up to $40) and we may buy them a couple more very small things.

But we have had some odd splurges. Like the $100 big purple felt hat my wife got one Halloween. Talk about a purchase that made sense at the park but looking at it at home, not so much. We have not had many chances at home for her to wear the giant purple felt hat but she loves it.

And then there was the time we were there on her birthday so I got her a bunch of Studio Ghibli stuff (she's a huge fan) at the Japan pavilion. Nice idea but I got a bit carried away because I'd had a few drinks and it's Disney so before you know it a CM was helping me sneak out without my DW noticing several stuffies, and then a lot of books and some bags and some other random stuff. CM did not bat an eye as we were basically tracking my DW as she wandered around the busy store while we cleaned out the section by sneaking around like ninjas, hiding things behind the CM and then parking them under the sales counter. At one point to distract her I think I seriously told my DW 'Is that Adele outside? I swear I just saw Adele walk by.'
Had it all delivered to POFQ where a great CM in the gift shop wrapped it all beautifully then delivered to our room when DW was out with birthday decorations.
DW was floored and alternated between 'This is awesome' and 'OMG how much did this cost?' Which I guess sums up a lot of our Disney experiences. ;)

This past weekend I purchased a Figment phone case.
That was it.
When I went in April I literally purchased nothing although I had wanted an Epcot sweatshirt that was not in my size and my sister had managed to get my size when she went a few days later and gave it to me for my birthday.
The time before that I bought a shirt and a few Tsum Tsums.
I've just found that the more I have gone the less I find that I absolutely must have and instead I spend my money on alcoholic beverages and sweet treats.
Not sure if its because I am now in my early 30's and don't feel the need to buy souvenirs for my inner child or if I've just been enough times that the souvenirs start to be the same old same old.
Has anyone else just stopped buying as many souvenirs after x amount of trips to WDW?

Have never been into souvenirs much, except for a token on some trips - used to like getting mugs, or maybe a magnet. The last several years, mostly nothing. Seems like there's a lot of over priced junk now. If something really catches my eye, and I can 'use' it - will occasionally buy.
Memories/pictures are our souvenirs! :) Taught our children the same.

I wish I bought less. :) I'm still buying just about as much as when I first started going.

We very seldom buy anything. A number of years ago DW found a very nice sweatshirt with an elephant and other animals on it at AK. She wore it until it became threadbare and has looked for a replacement but has been disappointed with the style and quality of the clothing.

A number of years ago we bought a few pins but never got into it.

From time to time we will wander through a gift shop but never buy anything. For clothing the prices are high and the quality, especially for things like t-shirts, seems low. And we were never into knick/knacks.

For us it is our memories we take home with us from our visits.

I'm going in October so, we'll see what I come home with. It's usually been a few pins and maybe a t-shirt. I look for park specific items - things that remind me of classic WDW. Nothing Star Wars or Guardians related. On our last trip we found out about resort specific items so now I have started trekking through the resorts - we generally stay off property. We'll started getting a photo frame ornament with the year on it and put a photo from the trip in it. Also started collecting the smaller shadow boxes for the Haunted Mansion scenes. Mostly fun looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter