Afraid to (or refuse to) kennel animals for vacation? UPDATE Post 1

We kennel with our vet. Trust her to care for our dog's health and their mental well-being. Would not think twice about putting ours there. They have never stayed anywhere than there though. If they do not go to our vets, then they go to my sister's house or my mom comes here to let them in and out and to feed them.

I don't think your crazy at all! If the person who pet sits for me becomes unavailable I will cancel everything. Yes, Even if it meant losing money on airfare. My pets are too important to leave at a kennel. My cats get stressed to the point where they have not eaten for days and require vet care after being boarded because of dehydration. My dog has many health issues due to abuse and accidents he suffered before I adopted him. He is unable to be kenneled and needs constant supervision. There are tons of people just like us!:goodvibes

Im like that as well. They are not just ANIMALS or DOGS to alot of people. I took my 3 to Best Friends Pet Care last Labor day and my little yorkie got sick so we left a day early to get him to his own vet. I have cancelled trips or not gone someplace due to no animals sitters and I will NOT kennel at a vets office. NOTHING comes before my animals and IM PROUD to say it.

So, OP...you are NOT CRAZY!

I would have cancelled.

My husband doesn't travel with us, for this reason. My oldest son is finally at an age, he can stay with the dogs but I, like you, wouldn't be able to enjoy myself knowing (mostly Charley) was stressed.

Both dogs are rescues. Both spent time in kennels. I can't do that to them, again. They wouldn't know its "just a week".

OP - you're not crazy! Your doggie is your baby.

We're lucky that one of our dog's 'first' mommy (his breeder) also runs a kennel (and is a trainer and groomer as well). Our dogs (goldendoodle and GSD) cannot wait to get in the kennel when we bring them there. So we have no reservations about kenneling them. And that's one of the things I love about having 2 dogs - they stay together - big corner 'fence area' (not a crate). And they get plenty of outside playtime w/ all the other dogs (and some of these dogs are my golden's siblings - because the breeder has a couple from his litter). His mom is one of her dogs too. They post pics on their website of them playing in the yard, so while it's not a webcam, I can see them. They also come home w/ a nice bath (and grooming when we request it).

But I feel for you - our old dogs (who have all passed) weren't kenneled and probably would have had heart attacks if we tried. We started kenneling these dogs as puppies, and it's worked out great. I know that doesn't help you now. I love your idea of the HRH - you'll be able to enjoy your trip much more!

We canceled a trip when our dog was in cancer treatment.

We almost canceled another trip when our regular caretaker couldn't do it. We toured the doggy day care centers in our area that took overnighters but neither of them had people there overnight. Luckily we didn't have to make that choice.

We might be in the same situation this March but we will have several options in place.

The one thing we won't do is put them in a kennel where they are in a cage most of the day and where there is no one onsite overnight.

Our dogs are not accessories that we dump ( even temporary ) when they've become inconvenient to us.

Dump? don't you think that's a little overdramatic?:confused3 There's a huge canyon of divide between "Dumping your pet" and "taking you pet to a kennel." Dumping implies that the owner doesn't care what happens to the pet. Dumping is what people do at the pound. I don't think anybody on this board would ever consider DUMPING their pet.

We have a large 10 year old Standard Poodle. We can't always take our dog on vacation with us, so we choose to leave him with our groomer. She & her husband run a doggy daycare and training program. One of them is on-site 24hs/day. Minky LOVES these people! And their 4 elderly collies! And their little yap dogs! We were very lucky to find these people. I am actually less fearful leaving him in their care because I know that they really know dogs and run a nice, clean place. I would never leave him at home for a sitter to come in and visit a couple times a day--he would be soo lonely!

I don't think that anyone who knows me would EVER accuse me of "dumping" my dog to go on vacation. :sad2: And if you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Im like that as well. They are not just ANIMALS or DOGS to alot of people. I took my 3 to Best Friends Pet Care last Labor day and my little yorkie got sick so we left a day early to get him to his own vet. I have cancelled trips or not gone someplace due to no animals sitters and I will NOT kennel at a vets office. NOTHING comes before my animals and IM PROUD to say it.

So, OP...you are NOT CRAZY!

Ugh, That company is horrible. I won't go into it but its how I feel towards that place.

housecarers.com

We just returned from almost a month away and no way would we kennel for that long. We had an awesome experience with a couple from that site and will use them again. They took great care of our dogs and our home too!

I would have cancelled.

My husband doesn't travel with us, for this reason. My oldest son is finally at an age, he can stay with the dogs but I, like you, wouldn't be able to enjoy myself knowing (mostly Charley) was stressed.

Both dogs are rescues. Both spent time in kennels. I can't do that to them, again. They wouldn't know its "just a week".

I agree and have been in your shoes before. Our baby a 6 yr old American Eskimo named Nascar. He is the king of our castle and we had never left him completely alone until this past December.
My youngest son never went on vacation with us as a college student he could not be seen with his parents and little sister so he had always been our built in babysitter for Nascar. but in Dec our older son got married out of town. We all had to go. I could not cancel the wedding because our dog or I could not NOT go to our sons wedding. I paniced. But lucky for me my brother was recently divorced and I am friends with his x and because of my brothers new girlfriend the x was not invited and was happy to nascar sit. She was great and when she stops in he loves to see her.
My youngest son moved out of state and now to visit him my mom stays overnight with my dog and my x SIL stops in to let him out during the day. he has such great doggie relatives that love him like we do.
But my anwser is Nascar is just like our baby, our best friend and is always considered first when making any vacation plans. I could never kennel him. He loves to go for rides but when we get to the vets he hates it. He does not even want to go in the door. Any place else he is eager to go.

OP -- I hope you found a situation for your dog that you are comfortable with. Enjoy your vacation!

Hi, Jamin! I've been bringing my babies to the new Best Friends facility (I refuse to call it a "kennel" - it's more like a hotel for them :thumbsup2), and I can't say enough about it. They had the best time and were very well taken care of. I think they were better off there than with anyone back home because they were so busy playing with other dogs, running around the park, etc.

Check out their Facebook page, there are lots of very cute photos :lovestruc

Have a safe, wonderful magic-filled vacation!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter