Advice you'd give a newbie

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
Here's my top 10:

1. Go during a less popular/crowded and less expensive time of the year.

2. Arrive at the parks before rope drop.

3. Have a touring plan for at least your first 2-3 hours in each park.

4. If you plan to eat much at Disney restaurants, research them in advance and understand the ADR system (including which restaurants book the fastest).

5. These days, the dining plans are more about convience (and providing a paid up-front, all-inclusive feel) and less about saving money.

6. If you opt for the deluxe dining plan, three sit-downs a day is probably too much food (and takes too much time). Instead, opt for one signature and one other table service meal per day.

7. Even though Disney hotels are expensive for what you get, once you stay on-site you will likely not want to do Disney any other way and may well become a Disney addict (particularly, if you fly in and use Magical Express).

8. If you choose to stay on-site, research the resorts in advance and understand the differences between the resort categories (value, moderate, and deluxe).

9. Always be on the lookout for discounts and understand that you can apply a discount to an existing reservation but cannot stack discounts.

10. If you can afford it and don't mind switching resorts during your vacation, a Magic Kingdom resort/Epcot resort split stay can provide a primo Disney World vacation (especially, if you plan to eat a lot of table service meals and plan most of your ADRs so that they're close to where you're staying).

Have a plan but "plan" to be flexible. There is so much going on, you or someone in your group is bound to want to do something not on the plan.
Eat where you are as much as possible. Do not underestimate how long it takes to travel to a different park or resort to eat. :moped:

Get up early and get as much touring done as possible. Crowds are so much better in the AM

Take a break every day, whether it's for a nap or swim.

Don't expect everything to be perfect and then be crushed if it doesn't turn out that way.

Don't turn a molehill into a mountain and let something very miniscule "ruin your entire vacation".

Please remember that CMs, even characters, are human beings. Nobody is perfect, and everyone has a bad day, even Mickey. Treat them as you would want to be treated.

1. Understand that you can not do and see everything. (which leads to the second tip)

2. Do alittle research to decide your and other family memeber's top ride/show picks and make sure to work those in first and then you won't feel disappointed that someone missed the thing they wanted to do most. And see all the other rides/shows as the icing on the cake.

3. Do whatever you have to to be there at RD. The morning hours are great to get things done.

Remember to wear comfortable shoes . The park is bigger than it looks on tv. Don't forget a carriage even for the five year old you would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Fastpass. Learn about fastpass. I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet.

Read, read, read. Don't think you can skim websites and understand what WDW is all about.

If you go on message boards, read through the threads first. Nothing riles up a message board more than someone who comes on and asks generic questions, or for information that is readily available either somewhere else on the board, or on the accompanying website. I always feel bad for those people who get a negative backlash right away because they post "too soon."

Find a friend who's been there before and ask their opinions about their trip. Don't take it as advice. Talk to as many people as possible to get as many opinions as you can.

Don't do rope drop if you (or a member of your group) is not a morning person. People getting up early then being grumpy don't lead to a good experience.

Stay on-site and use magic express.

My top 10:

1. You wont see everything. Accept this and move on.

2. It's bigger than you think it is. Imagine it, and still know it's bigger.

3. Don't force a large group to stick together at all times. Recipe for disaster.

4. Don't plan much of anything for the arrival day. Travel is taxing and you wont have much energy. No one ever does. Just go with the flow.

5. If you're doing multiple days you'll get into the swing of things - or totally exhausted - by the 3rd or 4th day. Allow your plans to be flexible and have options.

6. Ignore people's recommendations for dining and actually read the current menus. If it appeals to you, go for it, if not.. don't.

7. The cheese soup from Le Cellier isn't worth it. See advice #6.

8. In general, avoid hype and plan what sounds good to you. Try to be open minded though.

9. It's about more than roller coasters.

10. Don't set vacation ultimatums - no "I must meet Mickey" or "I must see this parade" or "it's going to be ruined if I don't.." Just don't think that way.

My Top 10 would be as follows

#1-10 Use DISboards and use the search feature for any questions you may have. There is more information on here than you can imagine.

I have been to DIsney many times with no planning pre-children, didn't think to do it. I have gone twice with my own children, the first time we did not plan at all and knew nothing about planning for Disney. This trip was very very frustrating.

The second trip, I discovered DISboards and well...:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I wish someone had given me the following advice before my 1st trip to Disney:

1. Stay onsite. It looks like you will save money by staying offsite, but no.
2. Make ADRs if you plan on a table service meal.
3. WDW is HUGE! Plan travel time accordingly.
4. If visiting with kids, remember its about them. If they are screaming and exhausted- don't try to push through. Take a break.
5. Florida may be the Sunshine State, but it does rain occasionally. Be prepared.
6. Bring an extra pair of shoes. See #5.
7. Fastpass.
8. Leaving MK after fireworks is mind numbing.
9. Get to the parks as early as you can- RD. The parks get very crowded around 11am.
10. Don't wear dark undergarments under thin or light colored clothing if you even think you are getting on a water ride. Very embarrassing.

1. Learn what a FASTPASS is
2. Don't imagine that Disney is like going to the beach. You gotta plan
3. Don't try to see everything! You can always go back
4. Take breaks!
5. You don't have to stand in hour lines. Don't do it!
6. Get there early!!! If you are new, you need to get there 45 minutes before rope drop. You will fly through the parks like a veteran just due to the fact that no one else is there!
7. Research, research, research. There are thousands of threads on this awesome website, there are hundreds of great Disney blogs out there. Plenty of us live and breathe Disney and would love to give advice.

Number 1! Don't Over Plan... (I still do this sometimes.. and kick myself for it.) You can't do everything you want in one day or even two.

Break up the day if staying on property for multi days. I do something like AK in the morning, go home and nap for an hour, then do Epcot or HS at night.

Learn about fast passes - especially with the recent changes.

Do at least one thing really special.

I would add:

1. Don't feel sad that you didn't get to <whatever> especially if your kid/DH doesn't even know it exists. For example, don't feel bad if your 5 year old didn't get to see Wishes fireworks because they were too tired. They don't even know it is a thing.

Corrolary: Don't always tell your kids about possible activities until they are a done deal. See above for why.

2. Build in breaks. OUr family can't do more than two full park days in a row without a day of leisure. If you build breaks within your day (naps), that can work too.

3. If you hear your kid saying "When do we get to go to the pool?" Make sure you take them in the pool late that day or you will keep hearing that.

1. Bring a water bottle. Even if you don't think you'll use it (you will).

2. When using said water bottle, use those little flavor packets because Disney water is gross otherwise.

3. Figure out FastPass, and use it!

4. If you're going during a slow time, take your time! Otherwise, you'll have run out of things to do by the afternoon.

5. Don't just focus on the rides.

6. If you're going to watch a parade or firework show, get your seats early, and don't tromp on people already camped out.

7. The bridge heading into the Mexico Pavilion is a great place to watch Illuminations.

8. Even great plans will have hiccups. Be ok with adapting, and go with the flow if you need to.

1. Learn how to use Fastpass, and possibly MyMagic+. Don't be the person who thinks that the people not waiting in line must be rich guests who bought a special pass.

2. Read a guidebook or allears.net or something just to know what all's there. There are people who don't even know about DHS or AK, and lots of fun minor rides are relatively unknown to newbies.

3. Avoid going out of the way for food. Traveling isn't instantaneous!

4. Further to #2, remember that there's a lot outside the parks. 2 fantastic waterparks, the whole DTD area, and dozens of excellent resort restaurants.

5. Rope drop works, but isn't necessary unless you go during a crowded time of year. For a real night owl, late night EMH offers the same benefits, and only a few rides at each park get insanely crowded.

6. The exception to 5 is for things that audition or start really early, like Jedi Training and American Idol at DHS.

7. There's more to do at each park than go on rides and meet characters! Your Disney experience will be much less if you don't stop and enjoy the sights and activities! Particularly at Epcot and AK, which are now half-day parks if all you do is jump from ride to ride but are 2 and full day parks respectively if you take in the ambiance. If you tell yourself, "I don't need to spend much tîme in World Showcase--there's just 2 little rides there," you're missing out.

8. Go with the flow, and don't expect to do everything. Better to take a tired kid, spouse, or self back to the resort for a nap or swim than have a blow up in the park.

9. But do find out what the most wanted rides/activities are for each person in your group, and make sure to do them.

10. Wear comfortable shoes. And if that means flip-flops for you instead of sneakers that haven't been broken in yet, wear the flip-flops.

Someone said bring a water bottle...

I forgot, I bring with me some collapsible cups. (Found them online somewhere). They are a life saver and they fit in my cargo pocket. They're also good if you want to buy one large soda and split it between the drinkers :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter