Advice requested: What to do after Kualoa Ranch

TwinMommyDec05

Earning My Ears
Aloha Everyone!
I need advice please on this itinerary.
On a Monday (unless thats a bad day for some reason)
*10am Kualoa Ranch 2 hour Raptor ATV tour
*Lunch at Kualoa Ranch? (Unless it's lousy)
*Head to Byodo-In temple
*Head to Kailua and walk around (maybe early dinner at Kono's)

Here's the issue (maybe more than one issue lol): I am reading that you get pretty dirty on this tour and not sure I want to walk around a cool town looking like something the cat dragged in. Is there a beach nearby that we could hang out after Kualoa, take a swim, cool off, and then head to Kailua? Maybe Lanikai? I mean some people are saying they are covered in mud when they finish that tour. To those that have done it, what say you? Suggestions?

I am trying to finish this itinerary and could use your advice on this!
MAHALO!!!

We just went last Saturday and did the 2 hour Raptor tour. We got pretty wet at the end when we hit a downpour, but stayed clean overall. If it looks like rain at all, grab one of their ponchos!

We did Pearl Harbor then went over to Kualoa.

Kailua Beach is a nice stop, but walking around Kailua isn’t really the best (I lived there). If you want to walk around a small town, I’d go to Haleiwa and maybe do lunch there; there are some nice spots for lunch (or at least get a shave ice treat or something).

We don’t tend to do a whole lot in one day on Oahu; maybe one outing then back to relax.

Even though we’ve lived there, I’ve never done Kualoa Ranch; maybe next trip as we invited friends to stay with us in our villa. I’m a wimp though, so not doing an ATV. I’d likely crash the thing!

You could cool off with a swim in Kailua, but as PP said, not sure the facilities are open like the changing rooms (they’re pretty basic but do the job).

We did the exact same itinerary, although we did not do the ATV tour. We did the VIP Movie Tour, so we didn't get dirty at all.

We opted to have the lunch at Kualoa Ranch - at the time it was a buffet so I'm not sure what they're offering now. It was delicious though and most of the food was grown/raised right on the ranch. Great prices too from what I remember.

We did Byodo-In Temple right after Kualoa Ranch as it was on the way to Kailua. Logistically, if you're wanting to shower and change after your tour, that seems like something you'd want to do before going to the temple. It wouldn't make sense to do that in Kailua and then backtrack to the temple. And Lanikai is on the other side of Kailua, so even further out of the way. Lanikai and Kailua are very close, but still doesn't make sense to go out of your way. If you're very concerned, I'd suggest bringing wipes or something and changing in the restrooms at Kualoa Ranch. Or go straight to Kailua after, spend time at the beach, and change at the end before walking the town. IMO, Byodo-In Temple was not a must do and was about a 20 minute stop for us, so I would not backtrack for it if it doesn't fit in your plans.

I agree with PP that the town of Haleiwa had more to see than the town of Kailua. I think we only visited maybe two or three shops in Kailua plus Whole Foods for a snack. I had a couple quaint restaurants jotted down but from what I remember, they closed relatively early and didn't work out for us for dinner. So we stopped at Anna Miller's on the way back to Aulani, which was good. I also believe there is a Kono's in Kailua - we ate at Kono's in Haleiwa and it was awesome! But all of this said, Haleiwa is in the opposite direction of Kualoa Ranch. Haleiwa would be best done on a day dedicated to the North Shore. You can combine it with a Kualoa Ranch day, but IMO, Kailua and the temple make more sense for that.

After the tour we did the north shore food trucks for lunch, stopped by a few places to watch the surf, swung back through the Dole plantation for the gift shop, then back to Aulani for the evening. It was a very good day.

It was also dry and sunny, so no mud issues.

If you are not planning a North Shore some other day, go there. Otherwise, drive around and do what is on that side of the Island, like the Temple. There are also several beaches, hikes, and botanical gardens. Manoa Chocolate factory looks like a fun stop. So many little local places to explore, if you like that kind of thing. If you get dirty, bring a change of clothes and you can use the public outdoor showers and bathrooms at the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter