• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

advice on pediatric bipolar

wright1baby

DIS Veteran
My DS 9 has been diagnosed with pediatric bipolar disorder, unlike bipolar in adults (cycles over weeks or months) he cycles very quickly--many times throughout the day. He could be very happy and excited, but waiting in line for an extended period of time may agitate him. He has many instances of violence and aggression, and I am a bit concerned for his safety as well as others.. I am afraid if we don't take this oppurtunity while he is young, he will be more difficult to manage as he gets older.
Don't get me wrong, he will be well supervised by his father and myself at all times, but obviously I have concerns. Any advice is welcome.
BTW...we will be visiting the world 6/10-6/16.
Thanks in advance...

My son is bi-polar. He was diagnosed with it when he was about your sons age. He's now 19, and the medication he's on has been tweeked to the point that he's doing very, very well. When he was younger he was severely ADHD as well, and he's got some cognitive issues as well.

For some reason WDW always brought out the best in him, and I can count on one hand the meltdowns we had over dozens of trips. Even those weren't full blown out and out time for an admission events.

There is no "head of the line" pass, although you can go to Guest Services and get a GAC which will at some, but not all rides and attractions allow you to wait in an area without as many people.

I'd play a lot of it by ear, and when you see a bad mood coming on, leave the park for a swim or some other incentive (special treat? video games at your resort?) which will be perceived as a positive rather than punitive thing for him.

The first aid stations are wonderful, cool, calm, semi-private places that you can utilize when you need to.

The biggest concern I have for you is over his possible violence towards others. I would make it VERY clear to him BEFORE you go that this will not be tolerated by you or WDW. Most bi-polars can "keep it together" for a short time when they feel the need to (it's generally self-serving) and let him know that he needs to let you know when he needs a break. We had a codeword that he'd use so we knew he wasn't asking for a break because he was tired or hungry.

Also, you know I'm sure that keeping a structured environment is very important in mnaging his disease. You need to continue to do this at WDW. Make sure he gets plenty of sleep--he'll need more than usual. Try to keep his wake up and bedtime more or less the same. make sure he eats on the same schedule every day. Make sure he takes his meds! I can't stress that one enough (and keep them locked in the safe).

Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer.

Anne

Have to leave in just a minute to pick up my kids from school, but I wanted to say that my just turned 10 year old was diagnosed bipolar approx. two months ago. I have a great book that I will mention when I get back on later, if you are interested. It helped me a lot.

I guess I should clarify, he has never just walked down the street and randomly hurt someone on purpose. He was diagnosed at the age of 6, and had symptoms since he could walk, so we are used to disruptions in what should be the trip of a lifetime for us. In the past his aggression is focused on the people he is most familiar with (mostly me--MOM). I obviously want to make this an amazing vacaation for BP DS 9, but also DS 7 and DD 5. That tends to be the challenge, making sure the younger children aren't punished because of their brother's dissability. All meds will be taken as usual, as well as a very carefully planned itenarary that will be fully disclosed and reviewed with BP DS. He has plenty of time to used to the idea and we went on vacation last year at a beach resort and he did pretty well. No major meltdowns! YEAH! Hopefully things will go just as well if not better at WDW. Thanks for ALL your help. If anyone else has anything, I check back several times a day.

Im very comfortable sharing my experiences so feel free to pm-

I am 20 years old, a college student and doing very well (with meds). I also have bipolar and I was diagnosed 5 years ago but I have had symptoms my whole life. Besides bipolar I have severe ocd and social anxiety disorder. Like your children I rapid cycle, my moods change within minutes and I am very unpredictable. Because of this I feel guilty being around people especially my family when I am not feeling my best. We have come to an understanding that if I walk away from the group that I need my time and that I will join again in a few minutes. I also take a lot of stuff out on my Mom but thank G-d she is an amazing understanding person who takes all the crap I give her and loves me anyway :love:

I never thought about getting the GAC for myself (I am going with a family who has a little girl in a wheelchair) although I have definitely been obsessing over the crowds (we are going in June and I know it will be a zoo). My obsessive/compulsive planning should help minimize the waiting- my odd brain sometimes does come in handy :rotfl2:

Your post meant more than you will ever know. I feel at my sons age it very difficult for him to not only identify when he is not feeling at his best, but for him to even realize that he is special or maybe requires extra attention. There are days that I wonder if he will ever have what could be considered "normal" life. You totally give me hope that he too will become a fully functioning young adult that maybe can help another family the way you have helped ours. Thank you so much. I appreciate that you seem to have a great sense of humor about it too! I am a bit compulsive about the planning also!
When will you be there in June, Forevryoung ?

Thank you so much for your kind words, helping others means a lot to me- if you ever need anything, really anything, med advice, venting, questions... I'm here

I will be there 6/5-6/12, the family I am going with will be there 6/6-6/11 so I get two days alone :cool1:

Getting help early is the best thing possible. The earlier you get him "stable" the better things will be. Make sure he has a therapist to talk to who he trusts and who doesnt give dumb advice (if i had liked my therapist when i was in third grade i might not have been so depressed and out of it for much of my life). There will always be rough spots (last semester I almost had to drop out of school) but knowing that good support is always available makes the impossible times just a little easier. I have been hospitalized so if you have questions about that i can answer/share about that too.

Your son will learn what he needs and the best way to express them. I still have melt downs and I am 20 (embarrassing but I cant help it) but I am old enough to walk away from a situation that I know I can not handle. My best advice is to let your son learn to walk away. It doesn't solve problems but it gives time to think about the best way to deal with them. My mom has gotten better at it but she still thinks its rude when I walk away while we are having an argument and will scream at me for it :love1: but I need that time to collect my thoughts and get not so upset that I go over the edge or say things I regret terribly and then feel worse. Teach him that it is ok to walk away from a situation when he starts getting agitated but also teach him that if he walks away, he must deal with it when he is better able to cope. And when I am agitated sometimes the best thing is to just stop talking to me and leave me alone. It's not something natural, your first instinct is to want to help but for both of you to step away from the situation and give him time for his moods to switch again will cause less tears and anger and frustration in the long run. Thats just my two cents... for more pm me :wave:

Good Luck!

I PM'd you! (that was to the OP, BTW.....)

Foreveryoung, I am a Rapid Cycling Bipolar (dxed at 18 but had symptoms long before that) I am 35 now.

We are local (Read: at Disney every weekend) and also have a disabled 4 yo (I am in a wheelchair too, for other reasons) let me know if you would like to get together while you are here.

I would love to meet...however we are knee deep in planning this trip I hate to commit to anything just yet. I will keep in touch though.
It might be nice to have somebody who knows the ropes at The World.

A long time ago I was diagnosed as Bipolar, Rapid Cycling. As I have aged (now 45) my diagnosis is Anxiety/Panic Disorder and Depression Recurring.

I have medication which works well now. It has been trial and error. I work and support myself, yet function best living alone. I need alot of down time.

I love to vacation at the Disney parks. The advice I have heard in this thread and agree with is, if something is causing you to meltdown...just walk away and try again later. This should be no cause for embarrassment.

If a GAC would help, ask for it. This is not a "go to the front of the line" pass, just an explanation that you can wait for your turn, you just need to wait someplace quieter, shadier or where you can sit down.

If things become totally overwhelming and you can't make it back to your hotel, go to the First Aid station. I had to go there once. I told them I had a mental illness and just needed a private place to pull my hysterical self together. The nurse gave me a glass of water, a cot and offered to call my doctor, if necessary. :guilty:

I returned to the park an hour later and had a good end to the day. :goodvibes

Disney vacations really are for everyone.

Spotdog, now it is your turn to help someone. Your post gave me a little more courage that "I can go to Disney and actually have a good time". I too have panic attacks and I am not too great at "riding them through", I run. Medication and therapy has gotten me better at dealing with them though. If I need an escape from the crowds I can go to first aid- I didnt think about that.

I want to be able to wait with the rest of my group in the regular line and I think it will really depend on the day and length of the line that will dictate how uncomfortable I feel. Avoiding meltdowns would be optimal :) people tell me "it's Disney, you will feel great" oh they are clueless :rolleyes1. I have no choice in the matter. It will be lots of fun, I can guarantee that much, enjoying it is the issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter