Advice on Money Dollars to Euros...

vellamint

DIS Veteran
Depending on where I read/research I am receiving completely opposite advice on where and when (and how much) money I should exchange.

Is it easier here in New York or at CDG Airport?

Which is usually less expensive? Or is it about the same?

Would you exchange everything you need or would you wait...

My original plan was to exchange it all here at home (I dont know where lol) and carry it with me..... If I needed anything more I planned to charge it on my Capitol One card because I hear they have no foreign exchange fee.

What does anyone think?

Thanks.......

I don't know if you would get a better deal in the US or France, but I do know that any airport is probably the most expensive place to change money! Maybe you could change some up at your bank at home and then change some more at a bureau de change in Paris if you are visiting there as well as DLP. :) Either way, I would avoid an airport or hotel to change money.

I normally only exchange $50 or in the US just so that I have a few Euros on me. For the rest I use my ATM card at Paris Banks. You tend to get a good rate that way. You do need to check with your bank to make sure your card will work in foreign bank ATMs. If it is one associated with Visa like a Visa Check Card connected to your account you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm an American living overseas and have found it generally better to just withdraw money from an ATM. Check you bank for fees. I would change some Euros before I go and then withdraw money from a Paris Bank ATM as I needed it - I usually withdraw the maximum I can though to make it worth my while in fees. I don't like to carry a huge amount of cash with me when I travel.

I agree....I use my ATM when traveling as I don't like to carry a lot of cash. I've even used the ATM off Main Street on a couple of visits to the Parks. I find you get the best exchange rate that way. When I'm coming back to Europe (I live here now) from the States I wait until I hit the airport and get euro via an airport ATM.

If you are going to use an ATM check to see if your bank has a branch near where you will be. Some of the larger banks (Citibank, Bank of America..) have branches overseas, and you might not have to pay fees. Also check what your pin # should be.. I vaguely remember having some problem (years ago) in that our pin #'s are 4 digit and the ATM expected 5. Didn't have this problem last time we were in EU though.

--Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter