advice on excursions

ksucats

DIS Veteran
Just paid off our March Galveston Liberty cruise. Been paying a bit each month to make it not seem like so much. Next month, I plan on adding the drink packages. Then it will be time for excursions.

We are going to Cozumel, Belize, & Roatan. Have been to Cozumel on DCL before and did a beach day. Will probably do the same thing or possibly enjoy the ship, so probably won't book anything for that day and just play it by ear.

For the other two, we definitely want to go do something and I am one of those types who would prefer to pay a little extra to book through the cruise line. Otherwise, I will worry all day about something happening and not getting back to the boat in time. My question is, do excursions fill up? Probably just want to do something that includes some sort of tour. I like visiting new places. I know the kids (and wife) would rather just do a beach day. I am thinking I would prefer to just wait until on ship before booking any, but don't want to be stuck with them all being full.

In Belize I highly recommend www.cavetubing.bz We sailed a similar itinerary on the Liberty a year ago and booked directly with this company. The service was PHENOMENAL! It took us an extremely long time to get to ashore as it was a tender port and we were hours later than we'd booked for. A company representative was waiting at the pier for us and took us out to meet the tour in his own personal vehicle. We went ziplining and cave tubing and had a truly wonderful day - one of the best port days we've ever had (12 cruises and 44 ports). They were also EXTREMELY conscientious about getting us back to the ship on time. Cruise passengers are their bread and butter - they absolutely know what they're doing.

That said, if you end up going ahead with ship tours - don't worry. There are MANY to choose from and you absolutely will be able to book something, if not perhaps your first choice, although we've never had a problem with that happening. Bonus is that ship-sponsored tours get priority tender tickets, and with over 4,000 people to get ashore, that's a big benefit.

In Belize I highly recommend www.cavetubing.bz We sailed a similar itinerary on the Liberty a year ago and booked directly with this company. The service was PHENOMENAL! It took us an extremely long time to get to ashore as it was a tender port and we were hours later than we'd booked for. A company representative was waiting at the pier for us and took us out to meet the tour in his own personal vehicle. We went ziplining and cave tubing and had a truly wonderful day - one of the best port days we've ever had (12 cruises and 44 ports). They were also EXTREMELY conscientious about getting us back to the ship on time. Cruise passengers are their bread and butter - they absolutely know what they're doing.

That said, if you end up going ahead with ship tours - don't worry. There are MANY to choose from and you absolutely will be able to book something, if not perhaps your first choice, although we've never had a problem with that happening. Bonus is that ship-sponsored tours get priority tender tickets, and with over 4,000 people to get ashore, that's a big benefit.

Thanks. I have decided I am comfortable waiting to book something through the cruiseline once on board. We don't have our hearts set on anything and nobody will be disappointed if we just get out and walk around for an hour or two and just get back on the ship. This way we can see what the weather forecast is, which could make a difference on what we do - especially if rain is in the forecast.

In Belize, there are a few snorkeling excursions that leave directly from the ship. Don't remember which ones (we don't get off in Belize)

We have done cave tubing in Belize as well with a private excursion. I recommend looking at trip advisor and cruise critic forums to find recommended companies and excursions. You will get much better service and more for your money going private versus the cruise ship. To give you an example, our cave tubing had 4 guides with us for 8 people. The cruise ship had around 80 people with 2 guides when we saw them. I book with companies that have many good reviews. We have booked over 20 private excursions and have never had an issue getting back to the ship anywhere close to late.

I am one of those types who would prefer to pay a little extra to book through the cruise line. Otherwise, I will worry all day about something happening and not getting back to the boat in time.

I suggest you reconsider. Private excursions are smaller in number, and the tour guides are more invested in making sure you have a good time. Book a morning cruise, and you'll be done by noon, leaving you the afternoon to go to the beach, shop, eat in town, or reboard early and have the ship to yourself ... and you'll still have 'til 5:00, 6:00, 7:00 or so before the ship sails. You'd have to be a complete idiot NOT to make it back.

Also, keep in mind that the cruise line doesn't promise to hold the ship for you if you're on one of their tours. Rather, they promise that the excursion group will be back at the port. People still manage to be left behind by getting to the port and then stopping for a beer or doing some shopping before they return to the ship -- they don't check to see that every individual on one of their excursions actually reboarded the ship.

We have done cave tubing in Belize as well with a private excursion. I recommend looking at trip advisor and cruise critic forums to find recommended companies and excursions. You will get much better service and more for your money going private versus the cruise ship. To give you an example, our cave tubing had 4 guides with us for 8 people. The cruise ship had around 80 people with 2 guides when we saw them. I book with companies that have many good reviews. We have booked over 20 private excursions and have never had an issue getting back to the ship anywhere close to late.
Another example: In Jamaica we did a private tour to Dunn's River Falls. Our guy picked us up at the docks, and we were his only clients that day (it was off-season). He took us to the gates of the Falls and gave us instructions on where/when he'd pick us up. We were the second family to climb the falls that day. We took our time, had plenty of time to stop and take pictures, and the guides provided extra help to our two kids. We had an absolute blast! As we were leaving, the herds were just arriving on the ship's busses. Our table mates were in that massive group, and their experience was very different: They complained that they waited more than an hour for their turn to climb, and then the guides hurried them through in large groups. After the Falls, we took a tour of the island, stopped at a school (we'd brought some school supplies to donate to the children), stopped at a local pottery place, and then were returned to the docks in time to re-board the ship for a late lunch. Our table mates ONLY went to the Falls. The real kicker was that they paid more for their experience.

Now, having said that, I would choose carefully what I'd do on a cruise excursion. For example, I would never visit the Tulum Ruins: that requires getting to the other side of the island, taking a ferry to the mainland, riding a bus an hour ... and then you only have 1-2 hours at the ruins before you have to do it all again ... regardless of who's leading the excursion, it's just too much. It's an activity that's not well suited to a cruise island stop.

I know you said you wanted to book through the cruise line but...We did a private tour in Belize a year ago. Our guide met us right outside the gate with a sign. It was the best day we have ever had in port. We visited the Howler Monkey Sanctuary and the Belize Zoo. We had a great lunch. Our guide also gave us the history of the island and provided drinks. We got back to the port with time to shop.
The only thing that I would mention is that you have to tender at this port. RCL did not do a very good job with this. We had to wait in line to get tender tickets. We went to the designated location and were not very far back in the line and got a tender time of 1 or 1:30. Our tour was supposed to start at 9. We heard others saying that they got a tender time of around 3 and all aboard was at 4 or 4:30. There were lots of angry people. I talked to the customer service desk and they were able to get us on an earlier tender boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter