Advice on Cozumel ruins tours

Michaela053

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are doing a big family (well it’s 8 of us) cruise in August. Part of our group wants to do the ruins in Cozumel. I think the Tulum ruins sounds nice with it being closer and you get to see their beach but also Chichen itza looks very neat.
so I need some advice with these things:

1. Which one should we do?
2. What did you bring and what do you wish you brought?
3. Food that was served? (my sister in law and brother are vegetarian)
4. Can you bring unopened package snacks like cheese crackers?
5. Can you bring a reusable water bottle filled with water from the ship?

thank you for helping me! Even if it’s just one question. My first time traveling with my sister in law and my nephews and niece so Im excited!

Hello! We are doing a big family (well it’s 8 of us) cruise in August. Part of our group wants to do the ruins in Cozumel. I think the Tulum ruins sounds nice with it being closer and you get to see their beach but also Chichen itza looks very neat.

thank you for helping me! Even if it’s just one question. My first time traveling with my sister in law and my nephews and niece so Im excited!
We did Chichen Itza in 2018, really worth doing but quite rushed (got the full tour at the ruins but didn’t have time to look at the stalls or shop which was a shame so wouldn’t have a chance to buy anything there). They sold soda and water on the minibus there and back IIRC but there wouldn’t be an issue with taking your own water (I usually do when getting off the ship) or I think snacks. My mum and I are vegan and didn’t eat anything - presuming their were packed lunches or similar offered with meat rolls but don’t remember. I’m used to doing that on excursions so it doesn’t bother me but realise it might for others.

We did Chichen Itza in 2018, really worth doing but quite rushed (got the full tour at the ruins but didn’t have time to look at the stalls or shop which was a shame so wouldn’t have a chance to buy anything there). They sold soda and water on the minibus there and back IIRC but there wouldn’t be an issue with taking your own water (I usually do when getting off the ship) or I think snacks. My mum and I are vegan and didn’t eat anything - presuming their were packed lunches or similar offered with meat rolls but don’t remember. I’m used to doing that on excursions so it doesn’t bother me but realise it might for others.
Thank you! It's been a few years since we cruised and I couldn't remember rules on water in water bottles.
It's my sister in laws first cruise and I don't want her to get there and realize she can only eat like the chips. So I think we will get some snacks.
That wouldn't be fun.

Thank you again on your responses!

We did the Tulum excursion a few years ago. I found it very interesting, but the bus ride out is fairly long. We were given a sack lunch (apple, juice, cookies & Subway sandwich) to be eaten on the bus. Don't know if they still do that (with COVID). If I recall correctly, they also had bottled water, but we had brought our own. It was hot that day and not a whole lot of shade out at Tulum. We were on the last ferry back to the ship.

We did the Tulum excursion a few years ago. I found it very interesting, but the bus ride out is fairly long. We were given a sack lunch (apple, juice, cookies & Subway sandwich) to be eaten on the bus. Don't know if they still do that (with COVID). If I recall correctly, they also had bottled water, but we had brought our own. It was hot that day and not a whole lot of shade out at Tulum. We were on the last ferry back to the ship.

Thank you for the response!
Yes covid will probably change things up, it will be interesting to see!

of note:

the long bus ride is mentioned but ALSO when we did this the tour begins in Cozumel and the first leg is a fast ferry ride to the mainland where you THEN get on a bus. This ferry ride can be rough .... not terribly unusual for the seas to get a bit bouncy and coupled with a 'fast' boat folks can get . . . .

When we did TULUM from Cozumel a few years back there was bottled water on the bus (one per seat) and a 'box lunch' was provided on the way back - a tuna salad sub (portion), chips I think a piece of fruit. We had ample time to visit the shops at TULUM which included so food stands. (can't speak to their being vegan friendly)

TULUM:

of note:

the long bus ride is mentioned but ALSO when we did this the tour begins in Cozumel and the first leg is a fast ferry ride to the mainland where you THEN get on a bus. This ferry ride can be rough .... not terribly unusual for the seas to get a bit bouncy and coupled with a 'fast' boat folks can get . . . .

When we did TULUM from Cozumel a few years back there was bottled water on the bus (one per seat) and a 'box lunch' was provided on the way back - a tuna salad sub (portion), chips I think a piece of fruit. We had ample time to visit the shops at TULUM which included so food stands. (can't speak to their being vegan friendly)

TULUM:
View attachment 648663

View attachment 648664

View attachment 648666
Hello! What lovely photos! Yes the travel time to the ruins is why half of us are thinking on just sitting this one out. And I heard the ferry is nicknamed vomit comit 🤢
Thank you for the information! The beach looks so pretty!

If you are going to take the ferry and the bus or transfer, make it Chichen Itza. They are the real deal - one of the 7 new wonders. The Tulum ruins are tiny in comparison - we finished them in just about an hour.

If you are going to take the ferry and the bus or transfer, make it Chichen Itza. They are the real deal - one of the 7 new wonders. The Tulum ruins are tiny in comparison - we finished them in just about an hour.
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter