• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice Needed for NYE trip!

ohboyx3

DIS Veteran
I need some opinions on my itinerary. Yes.. We are crazy and going at the absolute worst time, but it’s the ONLY time that doesn’t coincide with my boys wrestling schedules. I am preparing myself for the absolute worst crowds, but I’m sure they are even worse than what I am imagining! Surprisingly I was able to book most of the dining reservations I wanted. This is such a last minute trip (just booked last week) that I figured we would be out of luck, so I was pleasantly surprised. I’m usually the uber planner that is up at 6 am the minute we hit the ADR mark. We are checking in on 12/30 and checking out on 1/7. Staying at Caribbean Beach resort. I should probably add that we are a family of five. 2 adults and 3 boys ages 16,14,and11. So… No strollers. Woo Hoo. No Kids menu’s. Woo Hoo. and ALL considered adults at Disney. YIKES! Please, Please, Please give me tips and suggestions. I’m figuring my best way of dealing with the crowds to a degree is to tour late at night. Luckily, most of the boys will be able to hang until after midnight! And… If anyone has anything positive to stay about going this time of year.. PLEASE do so! I’m literally getting scared at the prospect of going! Oh and I am debating upon adding park hoppers. I’ll get to that…

12/30- Driving (about a 9 hour drive depending on traffic)

Check in to CBR

Dinner @ Ohana’s at 9:15.

I have heard that they do the NYE fireworks at MK twice. Should we even TRY to go after dinner? Is it even a possibility? I know they may end up closing the park that day. Or.. another alternative.. Could wee see any of it after dinner on the Poly beach? What would you do? I did get fast passes for that night just in case!

12/31- Epcot

I chose this because I figure it absorbs crowds the best and I heard their NYE dance parties and such are awesome.

My husband has a tee time at 2:15. He loves golf, hates crowds… Lol So I figured today would be a good day for him to go. Now I’m trying to consider the traffic…. and hoping Epcot doesn’t close to capacity. I am not banking on him getting there until around 7 or 8. So…. The ONLY ADR available was for 9 dragons. I’m still checking daily for something else to open up.

If we add park hopper I had debated going to AK that morning and then hopping to Epcot later in the day, but I’m not sure I want to deal with all of that, as I have heard that the traffic is madness on this day. I have fast passes again scheduled for late in the day at Epcot. We want to ride Soarin one last time before it goes down. Our plan is not too ride much besides our fast passes, but rather just absorb the excitement of the day and watch all the stuff going on around us.

1/1- Sleep in

IF the weather is warm, we’re going to try a water park. We have gone twice in late January and always enjoyed it. My family loves the waterpark. If that doesn’t pan out we may go play mini golf, etc. I have an 7:10 ADR for Whispering Canyon. We may or may not go to a park that night depending how we feel from the night before.

1/2- Hollywood Studios

I have fast passes for TSM, Star Tours, and ToT. The plan is to get there at rope drop and hit Rocking Roller Coaster. Then do our fastpasses. I have a lunch ADR at 50’s prime time for 11:25 and a SCi Fi at 3:10. Obviously I will ditch one of those…. SciFi is the only request my boys make. They always want to eat there. The time though… Ugh. I’m going to keep looking for either a lunch or Dinner.. and possibly thought about stopping in at 11am and just asking if they can seat us early. Not sure how that will pan out though… My main goal for this day is to see the Osborne lights. I have never seen them! What time do we need to get there? I’m not set on seeing Fantastic this night, as I am pretty sure we will be here another evening.

1/3- AK

I have an ADR for 7:45 at 1900 Park fare. I’m debating upon switching it to either Tusker House… or spending the evening at Disney Springs and trying Raglan Road or something. Not sure… OR if we add the hoppers, going to Epcot for the evening and eating somewhere there. Sugh. So many decisions!!!!

1/4 MK

I have an ADR for BOG for breakfast… BUT I’m considering dropping it. The menu just doesn’t appeal to me at all! But… I really want to see the castle! I keep checking and hoping a lunch will open.

Dinner @ Liberty Tree Tavern (Or I would LOVE to try the new Skipper’s Canteen if it ever opens)

1/5- Another off day….. Either waterpark if the other morning didn’t pan out, Disney Springs, etc.

Hollywood Studios that evening to see Fantasmic. I have the new dinner at Hollywood and Vine booked, but not sure if I’ll keep it or try again for Sci Fi or Prime time.

1/6- Last day…. I’m assuming MK, but not sure. I don’t have an ADR for the evening since I am still trying to decide.

1/7 Check out

I’m really debating the hoppers. I don’t want NYE to be our only day at epcot. I know the boys will want to ride Test Track, but not sure if we will be able to do it on NYE, because of the tiered fast passes… I mean I guess if we are willing to wait in line 4 hours!

I feel like it’s coming together, but I would love some advice from someone who has been during the holiday’s. I’m trying to factor in some rest days! I don’t want to get burn out!

Thoughts?

Your trickiest/worst times will be 12/30-1/1 (possibly 1/2 too) Everyone's going to start clearing out and heading home starting on the weekend.

MK does their fireworks on the 30th and 31st. You don't have to go into the park to see them (in fact I'd recommend against it) Your best view will actually be from the poly beach or the TTC. Unfortunately the music isn't piped onto the westside (luau beach) and the beach which does have music piped in will probably be accessible only for those staying on the resort. TTC will have music piped in too so that might be the better bet.

31st at Epcot is a good bet but I've heard the fireworks at DHS are also pretty good (and you'd get to see the lights too) and the crowds are a bit more manageable.

Note also that this is the last year for the Obsorne lights and the last night for them will be the third - They're doing a dinner party celebration the last few days and that might be worthwhile checking out too (Even if you can't get ADRs for the dinner party now I think they'll come available shortly)

Also - buses on the 30th and the 31st will be a nightmare getting to/from your resort or trying to park hop. Your best bet is to use monorail/boat or stay within one area (MK or Epcot/DHS and use the boat/walk between parks) and definitely avoid going back to the resort unless necessary.

Last edited:
Following... We also booked for a last minute trip and will be arriving 12/30 - 1/2 at CBR and then over to AKL-K until the 5th. Are agenda matches up exactly until the 5th. We've done Thanksgiving and Christmas before but never New Years! Skipping ADRs this year since this is my 3rd trip with DD9 and second for hubby, DD19 and DS16. Booked just in time to do our FPs at 60 days.:wave:

Following... We also booked for a last minute trip and will be arriving 12/30 - 1/2 at CBR and then over to AKL-K until the 5th. Are agenda matches up exactly until the 5th. We've done Thanksgiving and Christmas before but never New Years! Skipping ADRs this year since this is my 3rd trip with DD9 and second for hubby, DD19 and DS16. Booked just in time to do our FPs at 60 days.:wave:

I told myself I would never go during peak crowds!!! ...and here we are doing it! I actually find myself getting really excited for NYE! Have fun planning!

We LOVE going over new years. I mean, its what matches our schedules, but even still. Disney knowing they are at capacity is better than disney guessing their crowd level in my opinion. We WAY prefer the christmas/new years crowds to free dining crowds :)

We still have littles, so I can't speak too much for the fireworks, we usually do AK on 12/31 and then enjoy resort activities in the evening. This year, we aren't doing a park at all that day. I don't think Epcot closes to capacity, but its got crazy high capacity. I've known several people with no problems walking into the park after 6 pm.

We arrive 12/26-1/2 and are at POR. Crowds really do die down as the weekend winds up. I imagine that even 1/2 will see a decrease in crowd level.

I can say we have been at MK when its closed to capacity and not even realized it until the end of the night when I was looking through the boards and saw it. It's busy, but as long as you have a plan and KNOW what you want to do/see then it'll be great. The main thing about last minute/holiday planning is realizing that this kind of trip is more about experiences than it is about running from ride to ride. The energy is awesome. There is extra little magic everywhere. Since ticket cost isn't too much more, you may want to consider on those off days adding a day to your tickets and doing another partial day at Epcot and FP test track :)

The parks will not close to capacity. At least they haven't reached phase 4 at all in the past 5 years. But, it could easily take 2-3 hours to get from CBR into Epcot on 12/31, especially later in the day.

As others have said, crowds will drop off dramatically after Jan2. Some crowds on the 3rd. After that, you'll probably see rather light crowds.

You might even want to look into doing two room reservations so your 2nd reservation qualifies for room discounts.

We've never been over NYE, but have Easter/Pres week trips under our belts (also around Thanksgiving). On the actual holiday, we don't do many attractions, but away from the holiday- we walked on nearly everything. So we simply took an opportunistic approach.

If we didn't ride something EASTER day, we just rode it later that week. No big deal.

Weather that time is be VERY IFFY. If you had warmth in January, then you got lucky. I have many pictures of us in like parkas! Even into April! You MIGHT see a day warm enough for a WP, but you should keep your options open. Then again, folks other than me will go swimming when it is only 50 degrees, so it is a matter of opinion. Even still, afternoon is going to be the warmest part of the day.

While I'm no fan of ADR's at certain times of day, I could personally see a 3pm ADR being great. Dining at slightly off-times means you are doing attractions when others are eating. Grabbing a snack is easy enough in the parks.

I also second considering the idea of going into a park every day -for just a few hours- to take advantage of prebooked FP options.

Getting to/from the parks from CBR will take time. Having your own car could help.

We'll be there the same time too 1/2-1/5. I've never been this time of year, but we booked a trip to see the Osborne lights. I'm looking forward to being there as well, but also prepared for crowds. It's nice to hear they may not be as big as I first thought.

We also booked a last minute trip when we heard that the Osborne Lights will be showing for the last time. We arrive early on 12/30 and leave 1/10. For 12/30 through 1/2, we plan to do as PPs have suggested and just absorb the atmosphere. We're also plnning to be in EPCOT on 12/31. I was thinking we'd need to arrive at opening and just park there, to avoid the possibility of capacity or difficult transportation, but it sounds like I might be over thinking it?

We're booked for the NYE dinner party. Does anyone have experience with this? OP, did you look at the party as an alternative to ADRs?

We LOVE going over new years. I mean, its what matches our schedules, but even still. Disney knowing they are at capacity is better than disney guessing their crowd level in my opinion. We WAY prefer the christmas/new years crowds to free dining crowds :)

We still have littles, so I can't speak too much for the fireworks, we usually do AK on 12/31 and then enjoy resort activities in the evening. This year, we aren't doing a park at all that day. I don't think Epcot closes to capacity, but its got crazy high capacity. I've known several people with no problems walking into the park after 6 pm.

We arrive 12/26-1/2 and are at POR. Crowds really do die down as the weekend winds up. I imagine that even 1/2 will see a decrease in crowd level.

I can say we have been at MK when its closed to capacity and not even realized it until the end of the night when I was looking through the boards and saw it. It's busy, but as long as you have a plan and KNOW what you want to do/see then it'll be great. The main thing about last minute/holiday planning is realizing that this kind of trip is more about experiences than it is about running from ride to ride. The energy is awesome. There is extra little magic everywhere. Since ticket cost isn't too much more, you may want to consider on those off days adding a day to your tickets and doing another partial day at Epcot and FP test track :)

This has me more excited!

The parks will not close to capacity. At least they haven't reached phase 4 at all in the past 5 years. But, it could easily take 2-3 hours to get from CBR into Epcot on 12/31, especially later in the day.

Great to hear! Although.. I'm rethinking him golfing... I don't want him stuck on a bus for 2 hours trying to get to Epcot. :(

As others have said, crowds will drop off dramatically after Jan2. Some crowds on the 3rd. After that, you'll probably see rather light crowds.

You might even want to look into doing two room reservations so your 2nd reservation qualifies for room discounts.

We've never been over NYE, but have Easter/Pres week trips under our belts (also around Thanksgiving). On the actual holiday, we don't do many attractions, but away from the holiday- we walked on nearly everything. So we simply took an opportunistic approach.

If we didn't ride something EASTER day, we just rode it later that week. No big deal.

Weather that time is be VERY IFFY. If you had warmth in January, then you got lucky. I have many pictures of us in like parkas! Even into April! You MIGHT see a day warm enough for a WP, but you should keep your options open. Then again, folks other than me will go swimming when it is only 50 degrees, so it is a matter of opinion. Even still, afternoon is going to be the warmest part of the day.

While I'm no fan of ADR's at certain times of day, I could personally see a 3pm ADR being great. Dining at slightly off-times means you are doing attractions when others are eating. Grabbing a snack is easy enough in the parks.

I also second considering the idea of going into a park every day -for just a few hours- to take advantage of prebooked FP options.

Getting to/from the parks from CBR will take time. Having your own car could help.

Yes. We have 8 day tickets, and I have already mades fastpasses for the evenings.

We'll be there the same time too 1/2-1/5. I've never been this time of year, but we booked a trip to see the Osborne lights. I'm looking forward to being there as well, but also prepared for crowds. It's nice to hear they may not be as big as I first thought.

I'm pretty sure they will be big, but hoping they really do drop off after New Years.

We also booked a last minute trip when we heard that the Osborne Lights will be showing for the last time. We arrive early on 12/30 and leave 1/10. For 12/30 through 1/2, we plan to do as PPs have suggested and just absorb the atmosphere. We're also plnning to be in EPCOT on 12/31. I was thinking we'd need to arrive at opening and just park there, to avoid the possibility of capacity or difficult transportation, but it sounds like I might be over thinking it?

We're booked for the NYE dinner party. Does anyone have experience with this? OP, did you look at the party as an alternative to ADRs?

I looked at it... but didn't like the price... Right now I have an ADR for Biergarten at 11:45 and one for 8:30 at Nine Dragons. Still hoping for GG instead. Not sure if I'll keep Biergarten or not.

We have been there over NYE. We weren't brave enough to go to the parks on NYE! ;-) People at our resort said that Epcot was so crowded that people were parking on the road. We were staying at POR, and enjoyed the resort NYE activities. I am not sure how easy it is going to be for your husband to get over to Epcot after his golfing outing. You could hang out at the Poly on 12/30 and watch the fireworks, that way if you decide 12/31 is just too crazy, you will have gotten to see the special fireworks. The parks will definitely clear out after 1/1.
Happy Planning!

Hi my DD (25) and i went the week between Christmas and New years last year and had the most fantastic time. Park hopped on the Dec 30th and ended up at Mk for a 9pm dinner ressie at Crystal palace then stood on the bridge closest to the castle towards the Tea cups and watched the Pre New Years Eve Fireworks. Can't tell you how amazing they were. Make sure you spin around because they're shot all around the park~~360 GORGEOUS!!!! yes it was crowded but very manageable.

Spent NYE in Epcot. So much fun. Crowded but manageable although Illuminations was about 15 people deep. the dance parties were great. we spent most of the time in Italy and really the main crowds were right in front of the stage but the surrounding area wasn't bad at all.

We just went with flow and expected the crowds. Everyone seemed to be in the Holiday spirit and respectful.

We had a blast!! Can't wait to go again.

Have a great time!!

Great to hear! Although.. I'm rethinking him golfing... I don't want him stuck on a bus for 2 hours trying to get to Epcot. :(
Two hours on the bus and another hour in line at the turnstiles. Give or take.
I'm pretty sure they will be big, but hoping they really do drop off after New Years.
Crowds will drop after the weekend. Sunday the 3rd should be a little lighter, but Monday and Tuesday should be much less crowded.

Ok So rescheduled husband's tee time. What time should we plan on getting there? I scheduled fastpasses for late in the day. If we get there after lunch will it still take 2 hours to get there through disney transportation and an hour at the turnstiles?

Ok So rescheduled husband's tee time. What time should we plan on getting there? I scheduled fastpasses for late in the day. If we get there after lunch will it still take 2 hours to get there through disney transportation and an hour at the turnstiles?
Yes. We left Bay Lake Tower around 10:30 a.m. The Epcot monorail was down, so we had to take a bus from the TTC. We got through the turnstiles around 2. It only gets worse.

We go to WDW for NYE almost every year.

(1) First of all, I would recommend park hoppers. We will usually go to one park in the morning and then another park in the evening where we booked FPs.

(2) Head into the MK on the 30th even if you're tired. Heck, I would skip dinner at 'Ohana in favor of a nap if it meant that I was awake enough for the fireworks. The fireworks are AMAZING. And, unlike a previous poster, I always watch them from inside the park near the hub.

(3) You have a car, why would you take a 2 hour bus on NYE? I would not. I would valet park at one of the Epcot resorts (tell them you are visiting the Boardwalk or make a meal reservation) and walk in via the International gate. Backup plan would be to park at Epcot itself but my guess would be that would be all backed up with traffic. Bonus, the International Gate is quicker.

(4) December is iffy for swimming for some. I would keep an eye on the weather and not plan on going to a water park for now. Try to be flexible with one or more of your mornings and if it's warm enough go and enjoy! We went on NYE day one year and it was empty :).

(5) Why have any "off days"? Extra days in the parks are so cheap there is no reason not to go into a park.

(6) I believe the Osbourne lights go on at sundown, so 5:30 - 6:00? They are so much fun! These glasses will make it even more fun: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holiday-Mag...109979?hash=item4885b88ddb:g:9oEAAOSwo0JWPsHT

(7) You don't need the Fantasmic! dinner package to see Fantasmic!.

(8) The crowds will be gone by Sunday or Monday but I think the park hours are cut back. 1/7 may be busy again with Marathon runners.

(9) Consider the single rider lines for Rock & Roll, Test Track and Everest. You can go in through the back door of Test Track and past the real cars to two design stations so you can drive your own designed car. Otherwise, you can only select from premade cars. If you do make your own car, DON'T tap your MB once you're are the single rider design place or it will replace your car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter