Advice needed...buying new luggage

kuzco-like

Earning my ears
I'm hoping to gain some insight from the experienced DIS-ers out there. For the February DIS BSM (which I am lucky enough to be going on), I'm going to need new luggage. It has been a while since I've bought luggage, so I don't know what to look for. Can anyone advise? What to avoid? What to look for? What to consider? Perhaps some brands? Any help is appreciated. I hope to make this purchase a bit of an investment. The last luggage I bought didn't last the trip it was purchase for. (It wasn't a rough trip.) Thanks!

Since Southwest crushed my black Samsonite canvas suitcase in three places on 12/14 (Day 1 of my trip to Disneyland) and replaced it with a blue light special, I will also now be purchasing new luggage. I plan on buying a sturdy, but light-weight hard suitcase with spinner wheels. Macy's and Kohl's are both having good sales this week.

A couple of things to look for are:

The pull handle - make sure it can lock in place (airport luggage handlers sometimes throw the bags by these handles and if they do not lock in place they can slide out and get damaged very easily) Also make sure that it is long enough for your height. If it is too short, you will feel it pull at your back when the back is full. Also make sure the handle slide is either inside the suitcase or if outside it has very strong protection. I prefer mine inside (less likely to get bent) and I pack socks and smaller items around them.

The wheels - make sure they spin freely (ones like they use on skateboards or similar with ball bearing are very good) ALso make sure they are protected by the bag itself or have some sort of plastic by them. The bag will be sturdier the farther apart the wheels are but you DO NOT want them to stick outside the case dimensions. They have more chance of getting knocked off if they stick out. You want the wheels flush to the case or maybe 1-2 inches from each side.

Zippers - make sure they slide easy around corners. Rounded corners are better than squared off corners.

Outer materials depend on your budget. It has been a few years since I worked in a retail luggage store, but if I remember, Swiss Army/Victorinox has nice mid-grade luggage. It is not the cheapest and not considered luxury, but it was well made and designed. And it what I have used for the last four years of traveling with the airlines. I think a 24" case should be in the $250-$300 range. Anything larger than that and you run the risk of going over the 50lb airline limit on luggage and no one needs extra fees these days.

Hope this helps. You can find nice luggage at discounted rates at places like TJ Maxx/Marshals, too. Just look at the handles, wheels and zippers as that is the most important. Any material can get slashed easily if someone want in your bag.

Cheers!

Lisa

My large bag was just damaged on my trip home from California. Luckily it was on the last flight! The telescoping handle was damaged somewhere along the track and will not pull out anymore.

Just today, I ordered a new bag on ebags.com.
I decided to go for a hard-sided spinner this time. I chose their own brand. It was inexpensive, and a google search had some excellent things to say about it. If it doesn't work out, I won't feel too bad about getting another new bag.

The airlines are so hard on bags these days. I would make sure you get something fairly sturdy and with good wheels and a substantial handle that locks (down and up). But I wouldn't spend top dollar on something the baggage handlers are going to toss around like a football.

Also- don't go too big, or you will likely fill it up and go overweight at check-in- that costs $$$!! I'd stay away from the 28" and 29" bags. Something around 24" or 25" should be fine, plus a small carry-on.

Read customer reviews before you buy for an overall opinion on a bag.

When I graduated and started my grown up job full time I got a set of luggage since I'm always traveling. I wanted something relatively inexpensive but high quality (which is difficult to find). After shopping around for quite sometime I went with the Magellan Spinner series sold at Academy and have this far been extremely impressed. The smaller is as big as a carryon can be but still fits in the overhead bin even when stuffed to the brim which is nice. It's got the expandable zippers which makes it perfect for just a day trip or an entire weeks worth. I've had them for two years now and travelled through countless airports and all three pieces have held up nicely. The entire set was $150 and I would buy it again in a heart beat. My other favorite feature is that the stitching on the front is done with red thread so it makes it easy to identify amongst all the other black suitcases.

I like ebags too (their brand.) I have only used their weekend bag (which is AWESOME!!!) but own another suitcase that I just bought and can't wait to use. It seems like it will be very durable and I like that the back is hard sided while the front is not so it is expandable.

My family has purchased Eagle Creek luggage - the Tarmac series. We love them. This line has the 'No Matter What' guarantee - Eagle Creek will repair or replace it if its damaged, no matter how it got that way. We have taken ours to Hawaii and Orlando and back - from Alaska, several times. We are just now having to turn one in for damage - one suitcase got a small cut in the fabric on a corner on our last trip. We are sending it in after the holiday shipping calms down. This luggage is not cheap, but so far it has been well worth the price. Its light weight and holds an amazing amount, its very sturdy for soft sided luggage and everything we have ever sent in it has arrived in perfect condition.

All our hard side luggage was destroyed by the airlines - they actually caved in the corner of an older, hard side, extremely sturdy Samsonite. Another one they gouged the hard side so bad it was unusable anymore. That was when we found the 'no matter what' at Eagle Creek and started looking into it, found it had great reviews and checked it out at a local retailer and was impressed with the quality.

This is definitely luggage you invest in, as it is not cheap. We have been buying each piece as we can until we all have one large and one carry-on bag and a duffel bag to pack for our trips to Disney, as we always come back with twice the stuff. :rotfl2:

I can't disagree more with everything said in this thread. Hardside is a horrible idea because then your luggage can't expand. I have no opinion on full spinner wheels, but I don't see the need.

I have a 22" Travelpro Crew 8 for carry-on and a 28" for longer trips. The smaller one has been on about 150+ flights in 3 years, and except for a broken zipper on the front small pouch that I never really use anyway its as good as new.

Most flight attendants and pilots use similar and they travel more than all of us.

Eagle Creek is great stuff! I travel for work and have been using the same large rolling duffle and rolling carry-on for about 12 years with no issues. Eagle Creek also has a lifetime replacement guarantee and warranty. And if you have ever seen how much crap I pack, you would be amazed that any of my Eagle Creeks has lasted longer than 2 years.

My wife and I did buy Travel Pro spinners before our last trip to Germany and we did love those. She got the 25" and I got the 29". My technology bag for the trip was a Think Tank Airport Commuter.

We use Briggs and Riley luggage. Their lifetime warranty.....no questions asked...is the best in the business. If the airline damages it, Briggs and Riley will fix it for free. My ten year old suitcase has been repaired twice due to damage by baggage handlers.

This is incredibly great advice! I'm so glad I asked you wise DIS-ers. I would not have known what to look for in handles, wheels, and coverings. But now I do. And I'll certainly check out those brands that are mentioned. It never occurred to me that companies would offer lifetime warranties. That is amazing. Thanks for the info.

Picked up two TUMI bags at Homegoods on clearance a couple months ago. They are the best bags I have ever owned and have a lifetime guarantee. LOVE them!

Picked up two TUMI bags at Homegoods on clearance a couple months ago. They are the best bags I have ever owned and have a lifetime guarantee. LOVE them!

Have to agree with the Tumi recommendation - they are not cheap but they are well made and have a great warranty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter