Advice needed: Braces keep falling off

I paid $5500 for all 4 of my kids who needed braces, definitely the going rate at the time, my oldest started 15 years ago. I assume it’s more expensive now.

My oldest just finished braces. We are in a high COL area. His phase 1 and 2 was also around $5500 total. It was extensive, too. Headgear, palate expanders, rubber bands, etc.

We tried Invisalign with a different orthodontist for over a year and it was a total waste of time.

We had a few prior consultations with mainstream orthodontists when he was younger telling us they'd have to pull teeth and he would need an expander. His father wasn't willing to do all of that so it was a no go.

The bottom line is that we've had several consultations over the years, and have already contracted with and paid this orthodontist, who is highly respected and works with the city's children's hospital on the hard cases. I doubt we'd find better anywhere in this city. I'm just frustrated with this process that isn't going well, my son's pain, the waste of time, the huge investment I made and now I fear it might not work. That's why I partly wish I could just get a refund, take the braces off and forget the whole thing.
Why was his dad against pulling teeth and having a palate expander? Those are both very common for kids getting braces. Two of my kids had to have teeth pulled. The other one didn't, but he had an expander.

We are onto our 3rd kid getting braces. First two (both had theirs done 2yrs ago and were finished within 18mths) never really had any issues with brackets etc but our Orthodontist is very strict.

Number 3 child currently has an expander in and we are halfway through his 21 day routine before having his braces put on early next month. His teeth are probably the worst so they are thinking it may take over 2 years.

With a family discount here in Australia for the expander and braces it is costing us $AUD7500 / USD $4800 but that’s no extractions or surgery. Our private health cover in Australia (and we are in top cover) doesn’t tend to cover orthodontics- I think we get a tear,y amount of $300.

I went through three different dentists before going with my current dentist which I refuse to go to because they lost some of their old staff and my dentist disappeared after the pandemic and not only that they broke my foot as well.

Your dentist broke your foot??

My oldest just finished braces. We are in a high COL area. His phase 1 and 2 was also around $5500 total. It was extensive, too. Headgear, palate expanders, rubber bands, etc.
It really depends on the kid and their dental situation. Three kids with the same ortho and very different prices for the work that needed to be done. I literally have mild, medium and really high correction. My son’s mouth is costing me more than both his sisters put together. Would have cost even more if we went the four year route and saved all his permanent teeth.

Why was his dad against pulling teeth and having a palate expander? Those are both very common for kids getting braces. Two of my kids had to have teeth pulled. The other one didn't, but he had an expander.
His dad is a total jerk. I couldn't face taking him to court again at that time.

Your dentist broke your foot??
Yes when I was having my recent dental surgery I came out of surgery alright but then my dentist got too rough with my foot and hurt it and to this day it still hurts a lot. My aunt had the same problems as the original poster's son did with his dentist and every so often my aunt has problems with her teeth and her teeth have always gotten broken and cracked and she even tried veneers and they didn't work for her and my aunt kept having crowns replaced and everything else

Yes when I was having my recent dental surgery I came out of surgery alright but then my dentist got too rough with my foot and hurt it and to this day it still hurts a lot. My aunt had the same problems as the original poster's son did with his dentist and every so often my aunt has problems with her teeth and her teeth have always gotten broken and cracked and she even tried veneers and they didn't work for her and my aunt kept having crowns replaced and everything else
What the heck was your dentist doing to your foot??

My son had braces for 4 years, paid $8k for oral surgery and braces. Never had a bracket pop off. I hope it is just an adhesive issue and they are able to solve it for you. Hang in there. I know the feeling of life piling up too much. I hope this gets solved for you so you can take it off your plate!

Why would your dentist even touch your foot????
My daughters braces cost me about 5000 and it was the top of the line orthodontist. There was no way the braces would have done a thing if she did not have two top teeth removed- there was no room to pull the teeth in without removing those teeth so it would have been a waste of time. But they never fell off ever.

My daughters braces cost me about 5000 and it was the top of the line orthodontist. There was no way the braces would have done a thing if she did not have two top teeth removed- there was no room to pull the teeth in without removing those teeth so it would have been a waste of time. But they never fell off ever.
I just learned recently that some orthodontists are reluctant to pull teeth and that it can result in the teeth being flared outward after braces because that's the only way they fit. I had 4 teeth removed before I got braces when I was a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter