Advice needed about Fort Wilderness time and convenience.

Oldun

Earning My Ears
We're planning on taking our first family visit to WDW in April. I went a few times when I was young but my partner has never been. Soooo....a couple questions....hope someone can help. We're coming by car, and like the idea of Fort Wilderness for its cabins with kitchens and 2 bedrooms. . To maximise our time at the parks my partner hopes to park at our cabin in FW and drive to the Disney parks in time for early opening, Except for Magic Kingdom,my partner wants to take the boat which has an advertised time of 10 minutes from FW. My partner hasn't ever visited Disney but my memories of long ago include waiting a looooong time to get around the place no matter which way you try. But I was younger then and time seems different, so I would appreciate to know how long grown up people think it would take between getting into the car by our cabin and arriving at the car park at Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. A rough estimate is fine, like 10 - 20 - 40 minutes - or less - or more? And does that boat trip really take just 10 minutes? The second question is that I've seen a few reviews which strongly advise hiring a golf buggy to get around the resort. We always try to be active so do I wonder if you guys think the golf buggy is worth having even if you are a fit family that plays sports? It will add quite a bit to the cost and also I hate the things but if the alternative is walking for an hour, well..... These issues have given us pause for thought so my third question is if we should consider staying staying in a nice resort just outside Disney which will be a bit cheaper, how much is that early opening worth. We want to do the right thing to have a good trip so we will very much appreciate your advice to some of these questions, thank you.

We're planning on taking our first family visit to WDW in April. I went a few times when I was young but my partner has never been. Soooo....a couple questions....hope someone can help. We're coming by car, and like the idea of Fort Wilderness for its cabins with kitchens and 2 bedrooms. . To maximise our time at the parks my partner hopes to park at our cabin in FW and drive to the Disney parks in time for early opening, Except for Magic Kingdom,my partner wants to take the boat which has an advertised time of 10 minutes from FW. My partner hasn't ever visited Disney but my memories of long ago include waiting a looooong time to get around the place no matter which way you try. But I was younger then and time seems different, so I would appreciate to know how long grown up people think it would take between getting into the car by our cabin and arriving at the car park at Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. A rough estimate is fine, like 10 - 20 - 40 minutes - or less - or more? And does that boat trip really take just 10 minutes? The second question is that I've seen a few reviews which strongly advise hiring a golf buggy to get around the resort. We always try to be active so do I wonder if you guys think the golf buggy is worth having even if you are a fit family that plays sports? It will add quite a bit to the cost and also I hate the things but if the alternative is walking for an hour, well..... These issues have given us pause for thought so my third question is if we should consider staying staying in a nice resort just outside Disney which will be a bit cheaper, how much is that early opening worth. We want to do the right thing to have a good trip so we will very much appreciate your advice to some of these questions, thank yoT
There are internal buses that run from the outpost bus stop near check in to the settlement where the boat to Magic Kingdom is. The outpost is where transportation to the other parks pick up. There is a bus stop to catch the internal bus on the cabin loops. You mainly walk to the entrance of the loop and catch a bus either direction.

MK has a bus from FtW that leaves from the Settlement Bus Depot down near Hoop Dee Doo/Trails End/Tri Circle D barn. It's about 10 minutes. Does not stop at Wilderness Lodge in mornings and evenings (but I am told is may stop at WL during mid-day). The Outpost Bus Depot, as noted above, has the buses to the other three parks.

The boat trip is 15-20 minutes but with boat or bus, how long you have to wait for the thing is the question. We too boat/bus to MK and drive to the other Disney parks. We've done both bus and boat to MK and prefer the boat.

Golf carts are an expensive convenience. They do come in handy during Halloween or Christmas times when you might want to get around to many loops at night to see decorations. But April is beautiful weather, no holiday decorations that time of year, so I think you can pass on the GC IMO.

You can call the WDW reservation line and ask that a loop request be noted on your reservation. Cabin loops 2200 and 2300 are the closest (relatively) to the core of the Fort and shortest walk to the MK boat dock. It is right at 1.00 miles from the entrance of loops 2200/2300 to the boat dock (the two loops are on each side of the main cabin road). If you're fit and can walk it, that's about 20 minutes. If you can catch an internal bus at a bus stop going by, so much the better.

Early admission is worth it as a Disney resort guest IMO. We were there in January 2022. For an official 9am opening at MK, we were down at the boat dock at 715am, the boat came about 720am, pushed back at 725am, and got to MK about 745am. We stood in line and they let people in to Main Street and up to the Hub in front of the castle at 755am. (Actually down the arm off the hub towards Cinderella's Teacups-that's where the rope was by Cosmic Rays since we wanted 7DMT first). CM's were checking Magic Bands at the hub to ensure Resort Guests got down by the rope. Rope drop was at 830am and we did Pooh and Peter Pan by 9am (7DMT was down at rope drop). Short slide over to Haunted Mansion next. Being there at rope drop was worth it to me.

Bama Ed

PS - having a kitchen at the cabin, the extra space, and parking at your "room" front door is a great benefit of the FW cabins. Been a long time since we stayed in one (now have a trailer) but if I could swing the cost I would stay on property. And eating a breakfast at the cabin or a meal (dinner/lunch) is a CS/TS Disney meal you don't have to eat. You can eat what/when you want to.

Last edited:
IMO, I would not boat to MK if u have a car. I camped at FW without a car and the internal shuttle (or walking) takes a while, then you have to wait for the boat.

Get in your car, drive the 6 mins to MK (faster than the internal shuttle/walk to boat dock), then take the ferry/monorail (we did both many times last trip and find the ferry more pleasant) which should take 10 mins (they come frequently in the am so no more than a 5 min wait I believe). You’ll be inside MK in 20-25 minutes. I’d allow closer to an hour if you use the FW boat since you can’t park close by.

That said, if you are going midday and coming back after fireworks, I’d adjust that advice and take the FW boat since you won’t be able to park close to the TTC and have to add a parking shuttle.

We enjoyed having the golf cart. We picked it up at midnight when we checked in and had fun driving around exploring till 2am. They have golf cart parking near main transportation areas, so you don’t have to take the bus if you have a golf cart. It is an added expense and not absolutely necessary, but it is something to consider if you’re staying at the Fort. You may be able to get a better price on a golf cart off site, and they deliver. It can pay for itself if you cook some meals in the kitchen or out on the grill rather than eating in restaurants. It’s a different type of trip but a lot of fun.

Driving to the other parks is 10 to 15 minutes max. We have done this on the last two trips. We boat or bussed to MK. Just easier , IMHO. We have also taken the bus to epcot and animal kingdom. The busses take a bit longer from the fort but aren't bad at all. Especially if you leave first thing in the am. From the cabins you may have to take the onternal bus to the front and wait for the bus to the other parks. As Ed stated, the boat and bus to MK are by the dock. So opposite of the other busses. The fort is nice and a diffrent experience then anywhere else. Depending on what you plan making and buying your food can save some $$$ and time. We had a camper but we usally ate breakfast and most dinners at the camper. We also made lunch and took it into the park with us. This all depends on you and your buget.

You may be able to get a better price on a golf cart off site, and they deliver.
Great advice from Pea-n-Me. The only exception is the off-site cart vendors are not allowed to deliver on property anymore. The off site vendors can be nearly half the cost of a Disney cart though. For me, if I'm only getting a cart for 2-3 days, I'll just pay the extra for the convenience of a Disney cart. More than that and I'm going with a "Kenny Cart".

j

I agree with the 10/15 min drives to AK, DHS, Epcot. We always drive to those 3 and take the boat to MK. Honestly, we haven't really had super long waits for a boat because of a big line. But we get to the dock 30-40 mins before the 1st boat is expected so we can catch the 1st boat for rope drop. I don't know if the buses start running that early to get you to the dock that early.

As far as getting to the docks, we stay in 100-300 loops because it's a short walk to the dock. I know there are 2 cabins in the 100 loop, you could always put in a special request for one, although it's no guarantee.

If we were to not be within walking distance of the dock, I'd rent a Disney golf cart for our MK days. I don't know how/if an offsite vendor would work since they can't deliver anymore. Normally I think the renter hitches the cart trailer to their truck or MH and tows them to the Fort then returns the trailer & vice versa to turn them in. How could that work if all you have is a car?

We're not big pool users, nor do we use the recreational facilities but if I decided to take a dip in a pool DH would drop me off and I'd probably take a bus back.

Golf carts depend on your mind set. Some people love to putz around in a golf cart. Not us. When our daughter was younger we would always rent a cart for one of our down days, just because it was fun for her, but otherwise none of us were "can't wait to do the golf cart" people. At times, we brought our bikes to get around, which was fun. At other times we walk or take the internal buses. At the end of a park day, we didn't want the hassle of finding and driving a golf cart back to our site. We felt it was easier to walk.

Being in the park for early entry is a fantastic way to get on quite a few rides while the crowds are fairly low. I wouldn't underestimate what you can knock off during this time.

Estimated times for boats and buses is usually no more than 10 to 15 minutes, but there ae times buses and boats run late. Sometimes, quite a bit late.

Our last Disney trip was in April-great weather for a trip!!

These are great replies and I really appreciate you kind people giving us the benefit of your experience. It's all very useful stuff for us. Thank you!

IMO I would boat to MK as you will go through security after you get off the boat. If you drive to the TTC you will go through security there with everybody else that is driving. With the boat it's only the people on the boat going through security.

As for a golf cart as @Teamubr said if staying for more then a few days it is worth it to rent off site as the cost savings is great. We always rent from Kenny at Tee Time rentals. It will take about 45 min to an hour from the time you leave the Fort until you get back for the rental. You have to pick it up in LBV near the intersection of Winter Garden Vineland Rd and 535. Disney rules are you can not pick up the cart within a mile of the resort and Disney owns the land out to the end of Vista Blvd and WGV Rd so the closest place is near the 535 intersection. He will let you take his truck with the trailer to drop the cart. You can drop the cart in the overflow lot at the Fort while you return his truck and trailer. Sometimes you will luck out and either/or pick it up at The Fort or leave it at The Fort if they have another reservation coinciding with the start or end of your rental. Near the Pick up/drop off spot is a Winn-Dixie so what some people have done is drop someone off to shop while the other takes care of the golf cart.

Also as an FYI the Cabins only have one bedroom but the living area has a pull out sofa so there are two areas to sleep.

We love the Cabins and as you can see in my signature we have stayed there quite a few times. Now that it's just me and my DD it doesn't make any sense to pay the extra for a Cabin. But someday we will get back. Though the crying baby around 3am that the parents made no attempt to quiet down quite a few nights in the room next to ours at Coronado Springs this past Aug might mean we head back to the Cabins sooner rather then later if it happens again.

We love Ft wilderness cabins but haven’t stayed in them for several years. (But have camped) we have never had a golf cart except for 1 day just to have fun. Yes it was convenient, no we didn’t need it. The internal busses get you to the pool, trading post, external busses pretty quick. We always boat to MK and drive everywhere else. The boat is quick enough and very convenient. We like making the majority of our food, having a grill and porch along with separate sleeping spaces. The early entry is a great perk but Its not a deal breaker. We do enjoy staying on Disney more though.

I agree with others. Drive everywhere except MK. TTC is a pain so avoid it by taking the boat.

Everyone has given you great advice and the fastest way to get to the parks. But I would like to say to try not to focus so much on having to get to the parks the fastest. You have all day to be at the parks and stressing about getting there ASAP is not a fun way to start the day. After 30+ years of going, I can say that the best trips were the ones where we didn't rush and feel like we needed to do everything. You are really only talking about 10-20 minutes out of the whole day, not something that should be affect your day. JMO

Whether we are at the Fort or another WDW resort, we always DRIVE our car to the parks with the exception of Magic Kingdom. The boat from the Fort to MK is a no brainer. Parking at MK is a pain due to the monorail, so take the boat.. its really only 10 min to MK and it drops you off right near the gate and is a lot less crowded than the busses. Driving our car and parking is really easy at the other parks, and makes leaving much less of a hassle.

If you plan on spending a lot of time, including full days, at the Fort then a golf cart would be a great option. The internal busses work ok but watching 100s of golf carts roll past as you wait 10/15 min on a bus is aggravating. I don't think its worth it if your going to a park every day of your stay but if your hanging at the fort for several days, go with the golf cart!

I won’t answer any of your question, because you got some really good answers. But, I will say the camp grounds is really a cool, exciting, enjoyable place.
you won’t regret it. You will love it, and it is high on my list of Disney does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter