• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice for those of you with Nov/Dec trips booked

We went for the first time in November (15-22) last year and froze for most of the time. We normally travelled to WDW in June, July or August. We were so surprised at how chilly it was and we were not prepared! Yep, spent a small fortune on Mickey hoodies! Going back again Nov 14-21st and I am struggling with the packing - but I intend to be prepared this time! :-)

We were there last year for the record breaking cold temps. Here's hoping the warm temps will stay for Thanksgiving this year :sunny:

I just returned from a week in Orlando and it was record breaking highs of 91! A huge difference from the previous November when I froze during the days in the 50s. The forecast was dead on though so watch ahead. Hopefully things will work out for you. I find the thin .99 gloves handy to stuff in a pocket of a windbreaker, at least you have them near if you need them.

We get there on the 14th and I just mostly finished packing for me and the kids (my husband lives dangerously and packs the night before...or just before we're leaving the house...I think you can guess which one of us does the vacation planning).

I checked the weather forecast and it all looks pretty warm and fairly dry for that week, I bet we'll be in shorts and t-shirts 95% of the time. Coming from the Midwest, 60 still feels pretty warm to us. If we are out at night, we'll want jeans and a light sweatshirt/windbreaker - we've been to WDW in spring with similar temps of low 60's at night and low 80's during the day. I think I wore jeans once or twice each trip, and only in the evenings.

For a week I packed 1 pair of shorts, 3 capris (I prefer capris to shorts), 3 pairs of jeans. 2 long sleeved shirts and 5 short sleeved shirts. 1 sweatshirt, 1 windbreaker. I packed similarly for my kids, except they have more because they're small and messy and likely to need more than one set of clothing per day. I have ended up doing laundry every trip we've done, but I'd rather not have to do it.

Because we're staying off property for our first night there (getting there late after a long drive), I pack one duffel bag that holds all of our stuff that's needed for one night, so we don't need to totally unpack and repack the whole van - PJ's, toothbrushes, hairbrushes, complete change of clothes for the park the next day...even though the weather says it will be warm I packed us all both shorts and jeans, but a short sleeved shirt, and we'll travel with our windbreakers and sweatshirts in the van, just in case).

I also packed robes for the kids to wear after swimming because they're horrible at holding a towel on themselves, and for them it's a cold walk back to the hotel room after swimming.

We usually buy sweatshirts and stuff like that anyway, to bring back with us, but I hate needing to buy something quickly and then getting something that I wasn't really thrilled with.

We get there on the 14th and I just mostly finished packing for me and the kids (my husband lives dangerously and packs the night before...or just before we're leaving the house...I think you can guess which one of us does the vacation planning).

I checked the weather forecast and it all looks pretty warm and fairly dry for that week, I bet we'll be in shorts and t-shirts 95% of the time. Coming from the Midwest, 60 still feels pretty warm to us.

I have ended up doing laundry every trip we've done, but I'd rather not have to do it.

Because we're staying off property for our first night there (getting there late after a long drive), I pack one duffel bag that holds all of our stuff that's needed for one night, so we don't need to totally unpack and repack the whole van - PJ's, toothbrushes, hairbrushes, complete change of clothes for the park the next day...even though the weather says it will be warm I packed us all both shorts and jeans, but a short sleeved shirt, and we'll travel with our windbreakers and sweatshirts in the van, just in case).

I also packed robes for the kids to wear after swimming because they're horrible at holding a towel on themselves, and for them it's a cold walk back to the hotel room after swimming.

We usually buy sweatshirts and stuff like that anyway, to bring back with us, but I hate needing to buy something quickly and then getting something that I wasn't really thrilled with.

Heh- we once ended up wearing long pants in AUGUST- at night! About 4pm, we were waiting at the top of the pool slide and shivering in the wind.

We do similar for first night/one night stays...but my new strategy for multi-hotel trips is to avoid unpacking at all- except toiletries. Each person packs a suitcase, and I have a duffle for anything that can be scrunched (undies, swim suits, windbreakers). The duffle end-pouches hold toiletries, which are upright in ziplock bags for TSA. We often avoid checking anything. (except long winter trips) Everything has a place, and it is always the same.

We just got back and it was HOT HOT HOT and sticky for most of last week! We are from Michigan so although it was nice to be warm it was also more humid than we hoped so we did parks early morning and night, and 2 resort/pool days. Be flexible in your planning since we all wilted mid day (and layer layer layer is great advice!). It was easy to do laundry at the resort so we just washed mid trip our summer clothes since our cold gear (pants and long sleeve shirts) went unworn. Last year we were there for Christmas and it was COLD at night (40-50s) and 60-70s during the day, so we did enjoy the Nov weather this time a little better! We had a blast! Enjoy!

We often avoid checking anything. (except long winter trips).

I have half of a very large hard-sided suitcase devoted to just princess dresses, and that with with me squishing them down. Those things are puffy. I think our duffel bag days are at least a few years into the future.

We are arriving on the 18th and it looks like a mild Nov. We have been in Nov. where we froze and needed to buy gloves while there.

I leave in the morning (yippee) and am only there for 2 full days. I've packed 9 tops (3 long sleeve, 3 tees, and 3 tanks) just in case. Overkill? I've also packed gloves and a thin scarf just in case.

I have half of a very large hard-sided suitcase devoted to just princess dresses, and that with with me squishing them down. Those things are puffy. I think our duffel bag days are at least a few years into the future.

I have 2 words for you...... space bags.

You're welcome. ;)

I have 2 words for you...... space bags.

You're welcome. ;)

Don't the clothes come out all wrinkly? I've used them at home but it's wrinkled everthing that could wrinkle. And how do you repack them to go home when you don't have a vacuum cleaner with you?

Don't the clothes come out all wrinkly? I've used them at home but it's wrinkled everthing that could wrinkle. And how do you repack them to go home when you don't have a vacuum cleaner with you?

Some wrinkle, some don't. The store bought costumes actually do quite well. Some of the hand made ones we used to bring got wrinkled, but I pressed them a bit when I unpacked. Sometimes hanging them in a steamy bathroom is all you need.

As for the return trip, if you look around you'll find the kind that only have to be rolled to squeeze out the air.

We were there last December and had cold temps the entire week. Just returned from above average 90 degree temps! Crazy weather!!!

Thank goodness we drive so overpacking won't be an issue! We arrive on the 5th of December, so I'm prepared to have shorts AND pants as well as T-shirts and hoodies. Will also pack gloves, scarves, hats and our coats.

Bring gloves if you're going in December, that's what I tell everyone. Last time I was at WDW in December of 2013, it was in the 80s most of the time, it was wonderful. Two years before that, we froze, and I would have loved to have had a pair of Winter gloves, but none were to be found in Florida.

Some wrinkle, some don't. The store bought costumes actually do quite well. Some of the hand made ones we used to bring got wrinkled, but I pressed them a bit when I unpacked. Sometimes hanging them in a steamy bathroom is all you need.

As for the return trip, if you look around you'll find the kind that only have to be rolled to squeeze out the air.

Too late for us this time, and we're driving so space is ok for us, but I'll keep it in mind for next time, especially if we fly again.

Too late for us this time, and we're driving so space is ok for us, but I'll keep it in mind for next time, especially if we fly again.

Even if we didn't need them for the trip in, I liked having them for the trip home so I could squeeze out more room for souvenirs.

Our first December trip, the weather forecast the night before we left said it was going to be between 70 and 73 degrees the entire week, and it was correct for arrival day, but after that there was a heat wave and the temperatures were between 82 and 86 the rest of the week- I think there was even a record high one day. We weren't prepared for the heat and had to buy T-shirts that year. We brought thin long sleeved shirts thinking mornings and evenings would be cool and we were sweltering. We have been there in December when the forecast the day before we left said it was going to be 80 the first day and then between 70 and 75 the rest of the week, and it was 80 to 82 the first 2 or 3 days, and then there was a cold front and the last couple of days the highs were in the 50s, and it was in the 40s later in the evening. I knew to be prepared by then, and we started the week in shorts day and night and ended the week in full coats and gloves and were freezing at MVMCP - but it felt like Christmas.;) Pack a little of everything and don't trust the weather forecast- things change fast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter