Advice for taking mother for "may be her last" trip to Disney

CarolynMink

Mouseketeer
Mom is going to be just shy of 87 years young when we make our trip in April. My DD will be in the DCP and we will be visiting DD for her Birthday. Last time, Mom was at WDW, her mobility was much better. She now relies on using a walker. We are flying SW and I have already called and added Special Assistance to her ticket. We are staying at AKL Jambo House. We will be there April 7-10. Her favorite park is EPCOT. What is your best advice and What are the must know things????

I don't know her size but if she is not large and likes to walk a bit, you might want to consider a transfer wheelchair. I used one because I had foot surgery with limited walking ability. It was $150 and folded up like a stroller. Lightweight so easy for any of us to lift. I did get one with the 12 inch back wheels and I would highly recommend it.
I liked it because it was so easily transported. Brought it right to the gate at the airport and got it right after getting off the plane. I used it like a walker when I wasn't in it or I didn't want to make someone push me up hills...

The reason I asked about size is because it does require effort for the person pushing. Carpeting even makes a difference so it's not just hills. I am sure many can talk about scooters if that is something she would want to use. I did see many in the parks with walkers too. I needed to get off my foot for periods of the days so the transport chair worked good for me.
If I were you, I would put this on the disability board.

If she now relies on a walker and her favorite park is Epcot, then I would suggest that you consider an electric scooter. That is a lot of area to cover, and pushing a conventional wheelchair around the park could get tiring. Not too mention that it can be hot in the midday in April. There are a number of WDW approved providers that will deliver the scooter to your resort. It makes it much easier to get to the parks from the resort and even around the (very large) resorts. I was in a cast for a broken ankle in summer 2016 and can't imagine trying to get around WDW and the resort with crutches and a knee roller. I rented a scooter from Scooterbug, who gave me the best price. I agree with Splashbug that you may want to post on the disability board. There are many who have wonderful advice about traveling with friends and family members who have mobility limitations. I would not have made it through our 2016 trip without their advice and recommendations!

Aside from the scooter suggestions, I would suggest patience, being prepared to go at a slower pace & spending less time in the parks than you may otherwise choose. Make sure your mom stays hydrated & sun blocked.
Whenever we travel with older or younger family members or family that has a different threshold for Disney than we do, we adopt a flexible, go with the flow mantra. The group as a whole has a much better time if everyone cooperates & stays at an agreeable pace. Have fun with your mom on this trip, take lots of pictures together & ask her often if there is anything or anywhere in the parks she would like to spend a few extra minutes.

I think the issue of ECV versus wheelchair depends on the person. When MIL was 85, we took her to WDW and originally rented her an ECV. It was a disaster. She was so slow moving in that thing because she was constantly afraid of hitting all of the people that cut in front of her. We ended up renting a wheelchair and took turns pushing her. She used it like a walker when she was up to walking. If you mom has used an ECV before and is comfortable with it, that might work. If she hasn't used one before, have her use one in Walmart during the busy shopping season to get an idea of what it will be like. She can then decide if it will work for her.

Have you considered a wait list for an Epcot area resort? If your mom needs a scooter or wheel chair to make the visit easier, the Boardwalk and Beach Club resorts being close to 2 parks with no bus required could make getting around more convenient.

We rented a wheel chair for my MIL 5 years ago, and pushing it at Epcot on hot days was work, especially uphill.

My Mom was in her 80s and we went to WDW regularly. If your Mom is not comfortable operating a scooter, I would suggest a regular wheelchair. Mom was in a manual chair for at least the last 15 years of our WDW visits, and it worked out great. She, however, never weighed over 140 pounds, so pushing her wasn't an issue, and she was able to transfer to rides without problems. It was just too much walking for her after 3 surgeries on the same hip. Just be aware that people will stop right in front of you, so the person pushing can't really look around that much. People will also step directly in the path of the wheelchair, or will not even see it and walk right into the side of it. Mom had someone wind up in her lap on more than one occasion, even with her wheelchair stopped.

She might consider a rollator, she can operate it like a walker but also have a place to sit down if she needs to. If she has difficulty getting around, she may need a wheelchair.

I don't know her size but if she is not large and likes to walk a bit, you might want to consider a transfer wheelchair. I used one because I had foot surgery with limited walking ability. It was $150 and folded up like a stroller. Lightweight so easy for any of us to lift........".

I recommend this as well! My mother was 90+ and could never operate an electric scooter. We purchased this (we called it the travel chair), and it was perfect for any place we needed to take her. Light weight and not hard to push as all.

My mother at 84 used a wheelchair pushed by her dear son-in-law. She didn't want to use it at first, but after a bit of walking she relented and it made her trip much easier. My 87 yr old FIL would never be able to use a scooter. Much too complicated for him.

Wow, thank you everyone. This is great advice. My husband and I agree, we never thought about it, just assumed she could use an ECV. We think we are going to take her to Walmart to try one tomorrow. If it goes poorly, I will start looking for a transfer wheelchair. Since it will just be me pushing the wheelchair there will be no rushing around. I think she can transfer to rides fine. I love the reminder to get the pictures! I will take a read on the other thread. THANKS AGAIN!

Rent a wheelchair - the ones from Disney are really heavy - ones from offsite companies are so much nicer.

I would buy a second hand portable transport (under 100) wheelchair and bring it with you. You will have to notify the SW gate personnel that you are have a wheelchair. You will enter the jet before everyone else so no need to get early bird for your mother and yourself and spouse.
I agree with a PP an Epcot resort will be nice.

My mother came with us on a few trips while she was in her 80's. She also used a walker (actually a rollator - far better than a walker as long as they can use the brakes). She would bring the rollator along and then we would rent a manual wheelchair from offsite. They offer different sizes vs getting the giant ones onsite and deliver and pick up the chair from the resort. It would have been impossible for her to operate an ECV but even if she could have I do not believe she would have been comfortable doing so in large crowds. She would use the rollator in the room and when we left the room we used the wheelchair. Worked out very well! Pushing the wheelchair was no issue for us and has a benefit of being able to hang items on that you want to bring along for the day.

I actually would not recommend the inexpensive transfer wheelchairs. They are good for certain situations but the wheels on those are not meant for the type of surfaces you encounter in the parks. We also had one of those at home when we needed something for a short trip out of the house.

In the airport you can arrange for wheelchair transfer services. Very helpful!

I agree, the lightweight transport chairs with 4 small wheels are not the best choice at Disney. A regular wheelchair with the two larger drive wheels are much better on the variety of surface textures you will encounter.

Mom had her own manual chair that we traveled with.

Just a reminder, you can get a transport chair with 12 inch wheels in the back. When we were there I do recall thinking I was very glad someone told us about that option.

I took my mom when she was 83 and thought an ECV would be great while my son said it wouldn't work as she didn't have the manual dexterity to control the speed quickly and boy was he right. Not all 80 year olds are the same but as someone who uses one frequently it can be daunting to move thru throngs of people looking down at brochures who stop in their tracks with no warning. Often you are forced to not join your group till later as you can't just weave thru the crowds. I have no problem with it as I go all the time but if your mom is unfamiliar with her surroundings it could cause her acute anxiety . I think a wheel chair is best option. I went on a last trip with my mom, just the two of us and used a wheel chair. It was not hard and she felt secure knowing I was in control.

Although I do agree with the person that mentioned a wait list for an Epcot resort, an alternative is to rent a car and bring a valid handicapped hanging thing which you can obtain thru motor vehicle in your home state. Unless Disney has changed their policy, you can valet for free at any resort. We did that for my mominlaw. Parked at contemporary and BoardWalk. Worked out great. Lots easier than the bus.

It was her first and last trip. So glad we did it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter