Advice for First Time Trip with Guest in a Scooter

henrylovespooh

DIS Veteran
My family of four has been to WDW many times. This time, my sister, her husband and 13 year old daughter will be joining us. My sister has Cystic Fibrosis, and will be renting a scooter because she can't walk very long without getting out of breath or coughing, and she gets tired easily while walking.

She hasn't been to WDW since 1982, and has left all the planning to me, which is great because I LOVE doing it.

She has taken care of renting the scooter. I am thinking that she will be able to park the scooter and walk onto the ride in most cases, unless there's a long queue or she's tired.

What I'm not sure about is how I handle Fastpasses for FastPass+. I assumed that I should book FastPasses for the days we're there for all 7 of us, and when we arrive, if she has to use the scooter, they would handle that when we get there.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Hi Henry! We were at the World in June, I use an ECV when we go to help me make it through the day. We booked our Fastpass+ rides normally. I typically rode my ECV to the ride entrance and I walked from there. The Fastpass lines were short enough that I did not have any issues with excessive fatigue getting on and off the rides. The only ride I thought would be a nuisance was Pirates of the Caribbean. And we did that early in the day when I was fresh, otherwise you would need to transfer to a manual wheelchair to get through the queue and pick up the ECV at the exit. HTH, and have a great trip!

Most rides she can take the scooter through the line if she feels she needs to, or park it and walk if she feels she can. Because of the physical length of the lines for Pirates and Space, it will be best if someone can push her in the wheelchair since she can't take the scooter through the lines there.

My family of four has been to WDW many times. This time, my sister, her husband and 13 year old daughter will be joining us. My sister has Cystic Fibrosis, and will be renting a scooter because she can't walk very long without getting out of breath or coughing, and she gets tired easily while walking.

She hasn't been to WDW since 1982, and has left all the planning to me, which is great because I LOVE doing it.

She has taken care of renting the scooter. I am thinking that she will be able to park the scooter and walk onto the ride in most cases, unless there's a long queue or she's tired.

What I'm not sure about is how I handle Fastpasses for FastPass+. I assumed that I should book FastPasses for the days we're there for all 7 of us, and when we arrive, if she has to use the scooter, they would handle that when we get there.

Is that correct?

Thanks!
Congratulations on your upcoming trip! Please tell your sis we have done this twice and it is our escape from reality! Such a magical time... We are at 35% lung function and cough, hack, choke, gag and get lots of stares, but who cares when you are at Disney, right? lol... I work hard to NEVER give advice so please note this is For Support to you and your family... The scooter gets you around the park but I would think she could walk from the parking area to the ride or into the show just fine. Unless she is on the new Orkambi, struggling, etc. The main thought here and suggestion is to just Do It! Go enjoy yourselves and breathe in the magic. It is wonderful... Very happy you are all making this memory! Tell me how it goes and take lots of pictures! (Happy for you!) I took 2 cf'rs to WDW so don't be shy if you have questions...

she can take the ECV in most lines and some line are a half mile long like soaring no matter if you have a FP or not there are a few other very long lines I would ask the CM at the front how long of a walk it is and that way you know if she can handle the walk or not.

FYI... this thread was started a year ago, so I think OP's trip has been completed.

However, information in this post is still relevant for current guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter