Advice for a long road trip?

omniscientmommy

DIS Veteran
About a week ago I made the last minute decision to take the kids and and head to Florida for a month. This negative temperature is getting to me and I'm done with the cold and snow, plus could use a break. I homeschool my kids and since we're going to be gone for a month I decided we're going to drive. So this will be a 3 day drive from Wisconsin to Florida. I haven't made any road tips like this for a few years and not being the only driver in like 15 yrs. DH can't come due to work and he's staying home with the dogs.
So preliminary plans are to split up the drive in 3 days. Coming from Milwaukee area and hoping to make it to Nashville the 1st day 9hrs(with stops). Then drive from Nashville to Atlanta day 2 (6-7hrs with stops), and Atlanta to Orlando day 3 (6 hrs with stops). I have mapped it out on Google maps and also marked stops every 2ish hours. I did also mark possible hotels starting from about an hour outside Nashville in case I can't make it that far. Then marked hotels near Atlanta. We have a big SUV and everything should fit fine. I did get a real map, a garbage can for inside the car, some seatbelt covers for the kids and myself, cargo shade/cover, triple A club membership, iPad car headrest holders, small cooler and a travel humidifier.
I was planning on just packing a small suitcase for the overnights we have and then leaving the rest of the stuff in the car, thus the cargo shade/cover so that no one passing it at night and looks in and sees a bunch of stuff. For now I can't think of anything else. Thoughts?

My husband drove from California to Georgia when he took on a new job. As a family we drive to NJ twice a year to visit family...before Covid) and drive to WDW at least once a year. Some of the things we've learned along the way: 1. Prep car. Has it been serviced lately? Check tires, fluid levels, etc. 2. Have emergency equipment in car: flares, orange cones, etc. Make sure you have blankets in car. 3. Make sure you have your documents (as silly as it sounds): drivers license, insurance, roadside assistance. 4. Cooler for snacks and beverages. 5. We only travel by day. Stay off roads, especially unknown roads, at night. 6. Make hotel reservations ( I can remember driving from NJ back to GA and due A LOT of traffic fell well behind in mileage. Couldn't find a hotel room, had to drive at least another 2 to 2 1/2 hours to find something. It wasn't a holiday weekend or any special event like a football game going on). 7. We never let gas tank get below a half tank. You never know when you'll hit traffic, construction or come up on an accident. 8. We also pack an overnight bag with essentials so we don't have to take all the luggage in (along with a bag just for dirty clothes). 9. We don't have sit down dinners at restaurants while driving. Quick and easy, in and out, such as fast food. Sit down meals make you tired and take too long. 10. I live about 45 minutes North of Atlanta. Atlanta traffic is the worst. And I used to drive to Anaheim/LA area to go to Disneyland. I think ATL was recently voted the worst traffic with the worst drivers in the country. I would recommend not driving through ATL during commuter hours. We drive from GA to WDW and it's supposed to take us a little under 7 hours according to Google Maps. But we've been doing it for 5 years now and it's never taken us shorter than 9 hours. We only stop for gas (with a restroom break), and once or twice for drive thru. We don't mess around. You didn't mention age of your children. I'd just recommend age appropriate games, books, etc. to keep them interested and busy. My niece moved to Wisconsin a year ago and she really likes it there. Good luck and safe trip.

I agree with having the car serviced and tires checked. One thing I would add is a portable phone charger in case you can’t charge your phone in the car for some reason, like a dead battery. If you charge it before you leave it should hold a charge for a while. Then charge it each night in the hotel.

I would personally make hotel reservations ahead of time. You are probably okay finding a room during covid, but it would make me nervous. We’ve gotten stuck on the road and had to drive all night when we couldn’t find a hotel room. Not fun and I do not recommend it, especially if you are the only adult.

Thanks @Rory607 & @SandyinMonterey I did just take my car in a few days ago and had it serviced. I don't have road flares or cones but will get some. My main concern about making hotel reservations is that if I get too tired before I make it to that area I have to keep driving. This happened to my sister and I a few years back driving from Wisconsin to LA. They wouldn't let us cancel the reservations the same day and we didn't want to be out the money so even though we were dead tired.

Last edited:
About a week ago I made the last minute decision to take the kids and and head to Florida for a month. This negative temperature is getting to me and I'm done with the cold and snow, plus could use a break. I homeschool my kids and since we're going to be gone for a month I decided we're going to drive. So this will be a 3 day drive from Wisconsin to Florida. I haven't made any road tips like this for a few years and not being the only driver in like 15 yrs. DH can't come due to work and he's staying home with the dogs.
So preliminary plans are to split up the drive in 3 days. Coming from Milwaukee area and hoping to make it to Nashville the 1st day 9hrs(with stops). Then drive from Nashville to Atlanta day 2 (6-7hrs with stops), and Atlanta to Orlando day 3 (6 hrs with stops). I have mapped it out on Google maps and also marked stops every 2ish hours. I did also mark possible hotels starting from about an hour outside Nashville in case I can't make it that far. Then marked hotels near Atlanta. We have a big SUV and everything should fit fine. I did get a real map, a garbage can for inside the car, some seatbelt covers for the kids and myself, cargo shade/cover, triple A club membership, iPad car headrest holders, small cooler and a travel humidifier.
I was planning on just packing a small suitcase for the overnights we have and then leaving the rest of the stuff in the car, thus the cargo shade/cover so that no one passing it at night and looks in and sees a bunch of stuff. For now I can't think of anything else. Thoughts?
I live in the Milwaukee area too! I'd love to get out of here for a month...so jealous!
Have a safe trip!

Thanks @Rory607 & @SandyinMonterey I did just take my car in a few days ago and had it serviced. I don't have road flares or cones but will get some. My main concern about making hotel reservations is that if I get too tired before I make it to that area I have to keep driving. This happened to my sister and I a few years back driving from Wisconsin to LA. They wouldn't let us cancel the reservations the same day and we didn't want to be out the money so even though we were dead tired.
if you do not make reservations ahead of time make them with phone call or internet to where you figure to be when you stop for lunch

Safe travels! If you got AAA, get a trip Tix as a back up and personally I use WAZE... as well. Nothing worse than Not knowing about that unknown road closure , detour or road wash out ( yup.. lots of road trips lol).
we also now book our hotels ahead. We want to know it’s safe/clean ( AAA helps) and that we get off the road and rest for the next leg. Since ur the sole driver, you ll want that rest and not being stuck searching ...especially during busy times ( tho I think Covid cut back on those road trips?)
Agree with water/snacks/battery back up/battery charger/maps/book on cd/trash bag/small pillow/blanket/small emergency kit/
Enjoy n start safe!

I love audio books when I have long drives. Maybe find a couple of books you've been wanting to read and get the audio version for your drive.

We homeschool also, on all of our car trips we learn about stuff along the way taking a lot of breaks to look at stuff even if it's for 5 mins.. yes it takes a lot longer to get places but it makes the trip so much better. ... you would not think there is stuff to look at but there is when you look for it. Use priceline and you can book when you are ready.

Our family has taken several long road trips. Our last trip was from Pennsylvania to California. We take a lot of water and try to drink very little sugary drinks. I research quick side trips and we surprise the kids with unique but quick stops. I'm not sure if your heading through Kentucky but Kentucky Down Under was a hit this past December with the entire family. Our youngest was getting a little sick of the car and we pulled over at the last minute. They spent over two hours walking with kangaroos and it ending up being the highlight of our entire trip. I'm a little of subject but I guess my point is a quick stop every so often can make the trip. Safe travels and enjoy the warm weather.

My daughter and I drive from Detroit to WDW. Make hotel reservations. We like to book AAA rates that have cancel same day by or 6 pm. It can be difficult to get a hotel . We drive about 12-15 hours a day. Not sure what part of Florida you are going to but it is more than 6 hours from Atlanta to WDW. You will need to allow extra time to get through Atlanta traffic. It can add an hour or more. Use the carpool lanes.

@stsomewhere I did end up going through AAA to book hotels bc they allowed trip insurance to be more flexible than the hotel with cancellations. I ended up deciding to break the trip up into 3 parts versus the 2 days I was originally going to. There's just no way I can do 11-12 hours on the second day. 7-8 hrs in a car with just me driving is going to be stretching it as it is.

You don’t mention how old your kids are. So if they are able to open their own snacks and drinks, pack a cooler that‘s accessible with their drinks on top. I also create a snack bag for each kids that has stuff they like and tell them they can eat whatever’s in it and they don’t have to ask (if they eat all the m&ms at 7am so be it). I have this bag hanging off a hook in front of them to save surface space (hook made from a wire hanger). They also hang their headphones and trashbags from these hooks.

We try and not open the back of the car once traveling. we pack a beach bag for our overnight that’s accessible in the passenger area and put the next day’s clothes for everyone in a packing cube. I also make one spare just in case something happens (and it has with not making it to the potty in time...). Then the next morning, put the next day‘s bag in it and take out the used clothes before you start driving.

agree with checking on the car before traveling. Walk around the car before you go in the morning too, sucks not to notice a flat.
Presave your target destinations in your map app or gps. It will make getting navigation easier.

we also start any long car trip with a car orientation for the kids (apples are in this container, trash goes here...) to head off questions.

You definitely should order the AAA TripTik . That is one of the main reasons I belong...also Premiere member for towing.
So don’t forget your AAA Card... Universal Studios has many AAA discounts at restaurants and Earl of Sandwich might also.

Please keep us posted I need a road trip trip report... and if you drive near/ thru Destin ,Fl.... you must stay at the HolidayInn Fort Walton on the beach , Tiki Bar, also connected to a Hilton next door. Forgot which Hilton it is... one of their brands ( plus they both have nice laundry rooms )
(Hilton Garden Inn)

So being a planner... I try to stick to the same routine, when getting ready to travel, including a couple of list that pretty much created for myself, that I pull up and print...depending on what type of trip we are going on... and I can add in things for each trip.. I start weeks before... I can not handle running around before a trip...

Before you hit the open road -

Car Serviced - oil changes, tire's, battery tested, wiper blades changed, fill up the water for the wipers.. Wash and Really clean out the SUV... double check your road kit, Flashlight, and extra batteries, jumper cables, and or jump box, Roadside assistant paper work and add the phone number into your phone... Fill the car up the night before...

Luggage - Check and make sure that your luggage, zippers working, wheels rolling, and I always open everything up, and spray with some Febreze fabric spray, and let everything air out... If your kids have backpacks, clean them out, dumping everything out, spray with Febreze, and air out..

Clothing - double check and recheck everyone's clothing... with kids goodness what fits this week, might not next week.. LOL... maybe sure everything zips, buttons, and snaps... Shoes are important... making sure that everyone shoes are good to go, and that they do not stink... stinky shoes are the worst in the car or hotel room...

Cooler, Snacks, Garbage bags, paper towels, hand wipes, and a small garbage can( for emergency tummy troubles)

Headphones and whatever electronic game, movies, series downloaded on their device's, as well the cords for charging... stuff to do in the car, besides ask when are we going to get there!!! LOL

Blanket and pillows

Flip flop and socks.... Flip Flop are easy to throw on when your stopping, and sock for inside the car, to keep the tootsies warm, and comfortable...

Power strip, make life much easier as everyone can charge up over night, and it keeps the peace...

Packing - double check - then recheck what everyone has packed...

Set everything at the door...

With the overnight stops, I'm not sure packing a extra bag would be the way to go for those days... with 5 kiddos, and yourself, that 12 outfits and if its cold you will have heavier clothing so that takes up more space, plus undergarments, and PJ's/ Robes, and toiletries.. plus dirty clothing for 3 days... Plus its a safety thing... I really don't like to leave anything in the car overnight in a hotel parking lot, it worries me so much that I can't sleep... I really would hate to wake up to a broken window, and all my stuff gone... This happened to our friends, we were all going on a 7 day cruise and our cars were parked side by side, and they broke into theirs, smashed in the back window, and passenger side window, and jammed the door lock, and stole everything... along with several other cars... Our boarding time was 1:00... She and I went to Ron Jon's, and couple of beach stores and then to wal-mart, so that at least they had something to wear...I felt so bad, I could tell they still tried to have a good time, but he spent alot time on the phone, with the insurance company, repair shop. It really put a damper on their vacation... then when they got back they had to get a rental car to get home, then had to drive back down to pick up their SUV, a couple of weeks later... it was such a nightmare...
So no more leaving stuff in the car overnight for us...

I would make reservations at a hotel, and not just play it by ear... with 5 kids in the car, and long ride not a good combo...

When DH and I travel, we always stop and get out every couple of hours... and stretch...

Once we get past half a tank we stop and get gas... throw the trash out...

Driving through Atlanta is a nightmare... you will want to have plenty of gas... and I would drive straight through Atlanta... the Loop/ Perimeter is soooo dangerous... and people will not let you over... and if you miss your exit, it will be a nightmare getting turned around... When we lived in Georgia, about a hour North of Atlanta... I would get up at around and out the door by 3:30 am, and so that I could get through Atlanta before 5:00 am... stay away from rush hour traffic hours...

Take I-475- bypass around Macon, it will save you alot of time...

Stay around the Mall of Georgia, nice area, lots of restaurants, Lawerenceville, or Buford... I would not stay in Atlanta, to costly, and the roads once you get off are poorly marked...and crazy busy...and in some areas the buildings block the signal for phones and gps... and safety is important...
Or drive through Atlanta and stay somewhere this side of Atlanta - in Valdosta Ga, or Lake City Florida... This way when you get up, the worst is behind you...

Wishing you Safe Travels... and pixie dust...

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! A pre-trip planning report:
We are going to be staying at a house for a month in Davenport. It will be me and my two boys, 10 & 7. I have a large SUV, basically a truck. We are driving from Milwaukee to Davenport. I planned to pack storage bins/containers versus packing suitcases. First they fit more and second they stack better in the car. I was hoping to leave them in the car overnight because honestly I don't think I can haul all that stuff inside by myself. I was trying to find a canvas cover to go the items in the back so it's not obvious that there's stuff in there. I was going to do backpacks for each of us but I might opt for a small/medium size suitcase to roll in and out of the hotels. One backpack to put all our tech stuff and paperwork might be easier for me to just be responsible for since we know how the kids are. I'm also bringing a bin of stuff for homeschooling.

My husband is trying to make me take a bunch of food from our pantry with so he can go 'on a diet'. 🙄 pft. We'll see. I do plan on packing a small cooler, which I can leave in the backseat with the kids and possible one of the insulated grocery bags. There's going to be a small garbage can in the back seat for them and I also have Dramamine, kids version. I get carsick unless I'm the driver and I'm not sure how well my older one will do. The longest trip we've taken is a 4 hour drive and he seems ok. We'll see. I'll also have a case of water and gatorade zero. I do plan to have granola bars, fruit, peanut butter, crackers, oatmeal packets and bread with us. That should at least get us through the morning at the hotels so we don't have to eat out.

I have lysol wipes and disinfectant spray, along with disposable and cloth face masks. I also have camping hand soap sheets and hand sanitizer. I have gone in some bathrooms that the soap is empty and with the craziness of this past year I'm not going to chance it.

I have had my car checked over, the oil changed, checked my emergency kit, and double checked my jump pack. I do have Progressive with roadside assistance and we do also have AAA so I will put those numbers in my phone. I have a list on Google with bookmarks/labels of safe looking places to stop almost every 1.5 - 2 hrs. I even have a gathering of hotels marked on there that look good around each area I planned to stop at. I did mark a couple 'fun stops' I also purchased a SunPass which is good for GA and FL. I do have an iPass for IL.

I will have all our documents printed out for our stays at all the hotels and the house in Florida with copies of my IDs and credit cards. I know someone who's wallet was stolen and having copies of her stuff while on her trip saved her a lot of grief. Still a pain but could have been worse. I also have a backup ID with my previous address on it but it's still valid.

Day 1(THUR) - leaving to go stay in Oak Brook, IL to see their great Grandma who has been vaccinated for COVID and is finally allowed to see our family. Probably get there around 3pm
Day 2(FRI) - Driving from Oak Brook, IL to Nashville, TN. Booked our stay at a Residence Inn, through AAA, that had the premier cleaning standard. It seems like it's in an ok area. I also purchased trip insurance on each hotel stay separately in case we don't make it to our destination and need to cancel same day. Hoping to leave around 5:30/6am. We will be further south in the Chicago area and moving away from Chicago so I'm hoping traffic won't be too bad.
Day 3(SAT) - Driving from Nashville, TN to Macon, GA. I have a stay booked at a Residence Inn, with premier cleaning, through AAA again in an area that looked ok. Hoping to leave by 7am and it's Sat so I'm not sure how traffic will be since there's no 'work traffic'.
Day 4(SUN) - Driving from Macon, GA to Davenport, FL. Hoping to leave by 7am.

I do have a list of items to pack and also a grocery list started for shopping the day after we get there.

Sounds like you are organized and ready to go! I’m sure all will go well and you’ll have a great time. Lol to your husband wanting you to clean out the pantry and take all the bad food😂 Safe travels and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter