• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice for a Disney trip with a couple of days at Universal

EyePlumber

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I'm thinking of booking a week long trip to WDW this coming spring. We've never tried Universal but my oldest is 11 and is a big Harry Potter fan, so we want to do a couple of days at Universal.

What is the best strategy? Do we stay at a WDW resort the entire stay and commute to Universal for a couple of days? Do we move to a Universal resort for the last 2 days to reap the benefits of the universal unlimited pass and get extra time at the parks?

My general impression is that the quality of accommodations and food at Universal is below that of WDW. So I worry we'd be disappointed to finish the trip if it was a serious downgrade from our WDW hotel (we'd likely be at a 2br suite at either Riviera or Bay Lake, and stay at the highest level of hotel at Universal for similar style room). Also the cost of similar rooms at the highest level universal resort seems to be way more than Disney for some reason.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The express pass at Universal will be very helpful, especially if you go at a busier time. Not sure where you got your general impression, most people I know think Universal accommodations are superior to a Disney, comparing across similar categories, but I don’t stay in 2 BR suites so not my area.

We did a few days on Universal property before Disney in November and absolutely loved it! We stayed at Portofino which included the express pass and got a ticket package with park to park. We had not been there in years we are ride wimps will not go on roller coasters or anything with a drop but do like motion simulators and really liked them plus the shows. We had heard FJ and Simpsons were more intense so we wore the motion sickness patches that go behind the ear. We were glad we did the time at Universal first because our feet were so sore from walking around Disney we might not have enjoyed it as much.

If you haven’t found them already, there’s a UOR forum here and a forum about the UOR resorts here. They helped me the end when planning our visits!

And I agree, most people find the prices of the UOR resorts to be lower than WDW resorts for the same level. I also endorse doing the math comparing the price of the UOR deluxe hotel room vs. the cost of accommodations elsewhere plus the cost of the Unlimited Express Pass, which is included with the UOR deluxe hotel.

yes, move to universal, stay in one of the premium resorts and get the free express pass. It's the only way to go

You've got the resorts backwards. Universal premium resorts are actually nicer than Disney Deluxe resorts. Typically cost less too.

Stay at a universal hotel with express pass. If you do it at end your feet will be so sore. But if you do it first you will hate Disney without express pass. We love Royal pacific for ability to take boat or walk. We just did a week and love the relaxed pace of universal. And they even do daily housekeeping without begging.

We won’t be back to Disney anytime. Too expensive and too much advance planning.

Agree, stay at a Universal Premium resort. They are awesome! (we've stayed at all 3 several times). Our last trip, the free express pass basically covered the price of the room. It was a nice change of pace. With the express pass, other than Hagrids and Velocicoaster, everything uses the skip the line pass. Needed no planning and was wonderful!

Going to give a contrary view and say we stayed at two of the three premier hotels at universal—Royal Pacific and Portofino—and they felt like a major downgrade compared to Disney deluxe hotels. Smaller rooms with less comfy beds, cheap/fake feel to the decor, and customer service was lacking. That said, I would still definitely do a split stay for one or two nights and stay at those hotels so you get the express pass. Maybe do it at the start of your trip so if you don’t like it, you’ll have disney to end on a high note.

Going to give a contrary view and say we stayed at two of the three premier hotels at universal—Royal Pacific and Portofino—and they felt like a major downgrade compared to Disney deluxe hotels. Smaller rooms with less comfy beds, cheap/fake feel to the decor, and customer service was lacking. That said, I would still definitely do a split stay for one or two nights and stay at those hotels so you get the express pass. Maybe do it at the start of your trip so if you don’t like it, you’ll have disney to end on a high note.
Really surprised as we just stayed at Portofino in April and LOVED it. We stayed at Royal Pacific 3 years ago and it was a close second. We have stayed at all the Disney deluxe resorts and the Universal did not seem like a down grade. Love the theme at Portofino and LOVE the live opera at dusk.

If you are going to do UO, definitely stay there. It’s a very different experience than visiting from another resort, especially if you stay at one of the deluxe resorts with free EP.

But if you don’t want to spend that much, Cabana Bay is less expensive and a fun resort with great deluxe type pools (one has a slide, the othe a lazy river), a bowling alley and fun theming. And walkable to Volcano Bay if you’re doing the water park.

It’s just very different being immersed in the UO bubble than being a day guest. So for sure stay at UO if going to those parks.
It’s not Disney, but it’s still fun and immersive.

We always do 2 or 3 nights at a universal hotel (Loews royal pacific) before we transition over to Disney. It’s nice to be so close to the parks, get the express pass and be fully immersed in Universal. IMO it’s not inferior at all to Disney, actually my older kids prefer it. We go one full day at each park (IoA and US) and one day to go back and do what we missed or want to fo again snd it’s the perfect amount of time. Universal is awesome and the Harry Potter sections are amazing

Hi!

My family and I usually do this as well and this is what we found beneficial.

If doing two days: make one day all HP (make sure you have park to park pass). That way you alleviate the financial stress of adding on express pass. (Also I always suggest starting in Diagon Alley and then heading over to Hogsmeade).

If one day, definitely buy express pass to add on. You will still have to wait for Hagrid or virtual queue it (their whole system with Hagrid's drives me up a wall tbh). Still do park to park.

Regardless of which you choose: watch videos, read ride reviews and food reviews, and do you best to spend the whole day there (CityWalk has amazing options for dinner). A lot of people with UOR discover after the fact that they don't like a lot of those types of rides. In my own family we don't ride all the rides at the parks! Some we find out after we've ridden, others we don't mind spoiling for ourselves, and others we just haven't gotten the chance to ride (Express is not for every ride-while Velocicoaster was understandable on our last trip as it had just opened, you should hear my eyeballs side eyeing Hagrid's. There is no reason that ride can't have express or even single rider all the time at this point. I've ridden other coasters designed like Hagrid's and never had an issue waiting. They are a higher capacity then people think). Make sure you do what is best for your family!

Another tip: see about any discount sites you or your partners place of employment may have. We have often found we can get tickets and the express pass for cheaper than through universal.

Regardless (and as a fellow potter fan) your son and family are going to have a wonderful time! My family and I-while we didn't have the best stay on property-still love the UOR parks, VB and City Walk. It is different, and sometimes you need that. And you will still make awesome memories.

I also found the photo maker worth it!

If you have any questions feel free to DM!

BH5

We do this pretty much every trip now. If your traveling through Orlando on I4 it makes sense to stop at the beginning or end of your trip. I don't consider Universals premier rooms to be nicer than Disney's Deluxes, I like a balcony, but they are nice resorts and the express passes can be very valuable. I say Can because it depends on how many of those express pass attractions your family wants to ride. Hagrids and Velocicoaster still not included FYI. I like the premiers but I also really enjoy Cabana Bay. I only stay Deluxe at Disney but I feel like these rooms have great Value. Controversial point but Diagon Alley is as immersive a land as there is in Orlando and deserves as much time as you can allocate. Volcano Bay is also vastly superior to any water park disney has at the moment.

Compared by price, Disney is a poor quality hotelier. I mean, I would be embarrassed at those $800 Poly rooms. The Universal "deluxe" hotels are much, much cheaper and give meaningful ride access.

I'd actually pick Marriott (Swolphin) over Disney pound for pound as well.

I certainly wouldn't commute to Universal.

Thanks. I'm basing the price disparity on my wife recently researching the cost of 2 nights and universal with tickets and express passes for the whole family (5 paying customers). She said it was coming out much more for next March than the Disney resorts.

It sounds like staying on property is a must though. We don't like the idea of having to pack up a family of 6 and move to another hotel for 2 nights but we can do it if necessary.

Thanks. I'm basing the price disparity on my wife recently researching the cost of 2 nights and universal with tickets and express passes for the whole family (5 paying customers). She said it was coming out much more for next March than the Disney resorts.

It sounds like staying on property is a must though. We don't like the idea of having to pack up a family of 6 and move to another hotel for 2 nights but we can do it if necessary.
A bit part of the reason people are suggesting moving to a Universal premier hotel (Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific) is those three hotels have express pass included with your hotel stay. This is a huge savings compared to buying express pass for 5 people.

That said, even with express pass included Universal can be very expensive. We spent quite a bit more per day for Universal than we did for Disney on a split stay trip. A lot of people here who talk about it being a bargain are annual passholders who visit multiple times a year, and I agree it is a much better value for annual passholders than for Disney APs. But just for 1-2 days, Universal is often pricier because of the higher ticket cost, and less availability for general public hotel discounts (though again, APs get good hotel discounts--sometimes this can justify purchasing an annual pass for just one parent... worth looking into).

We are planning to visit UOR for the first time next year (2 days), followed by 4 days at Disney. I was surprised how high the prices are based on all the talk I heard about it being cheaper than WDW. Maybe it used to be true? We also have a family of 5 and the Express passes would be $800 for 1 day on our dates. Staying at a premier hotel is a little more than half that for the hotel room and passes included, so it seemed like a no-brainer to stay on their property for the 2 days we'll be in their parks. I guess that is how they get you on property. So I can't share our experience yet, but based on advice from others and what makes sense financially, this is our plan! I do think it will be nice to stay close to the parks we are actually in on any given day.

We are planning to visit UOR for the first time next year (2 days), followed by 4 days at Disney. I was surprised how high the prices are based on all the talk I heard about it being cheaper than WDW. Maybe it used to be true? We also have a family of 5 and the Express passes would be $800 for 1 day on our dates. Staying at a premier hotel is a little more than half that for the hotel room and passes included, so it seemed like a no-brainer to stay on their property for the 2 days we'll be in their parks. I guess that is how they get you on property. So I can't share our experience yet, but based on advice from others and what makes sense financially, this is our plan! I do think it will be nice to stay close to the parks we are actually in on any given day.
Yes, booking one of the UOR deluxe hotels is almost a no-brainer for many groups. We’ve booked them even when we were sleeping somewhere else, for the Unlimited Express Passes as well as cheaper parking (which is billed by the night, not the day).

Yes, booking one of the UOR deluxe hotels is almost a no-brainer for many groups. We’ve booked them even when we were sleeping somewhere else, for the Unlimited Express Passes as well as cheaper parking (which is billed by the night, not the day).
That doesn’t resolve the fact that it may still be more expensive to go to Universal than to Disney with a skip the line pass on the same dates. Yes if you are set on going to Universal, for a family if 5 it will always be the better deal to stay at a universal premier hotel than to stay elsewhere and pay for express pass directly. But if you are on the fence or prefer Disney, and only are going to Universal because you heard it is cheaper that Disney, you may be better off at staying at Disney, depending on prices, available discounts etc.

For our family, we DID spend considerably more going to universal for half a week than we spent at WDW for the same number of days earlier the same week but we still did it because the kids wanted Harry Potter. But it was definitely not the money saver folks make it out to be.

If you are staying at the Universal Deluxe hotels you do NOT NEED to buy express passes - they are included in the hotel room costs. I see that is why your wife thought the cost was higher. Buying the express pass is only needed if you stay at one of the lower tier Universal Hotels like Cabana Bay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter