• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice for 1-day visit with someone who has never been to DL

OKC Disney Fan

Mouseketeer
I'm an out of state AP holder who comes to DL a few times every year with my adult daughter. This October, I will be in the area and able to go for only one day (10/3) and will be going with a work friend who has never been to the parks and has some physical limitations (walking long distance). My daughter and I are "rope drop til close" type visitors, usually 4 days per visit, so I'm going to have to figure out how to tour for this one day. We are only doing DL, (not CA and no Halloween party). She's not interested in roller coasters so my thought is to focus on POTC, HM, Fantasyland rides, SWGE, and try to hit the parade and any nighttime entertainment that might be going on. Anything I'm missing? We'll be at the park about noon and can stay til close.

I would work in some longer shows and experiences like the train, Lincoln, the Mark Twain, offers seating, easy to get on.

Will you all have MP? That can help with IASW and HMH and a few other non-coaster rides. It can also mean shorter lines for your friend, which will make the rest of the day's walking a bit easier. Be watching the app for wait times the week before your visit so that you can get a feel for the timing of the lines around the time when you'll hit the parks and throughout the rest of the day. Is there anything your friend really wants to see or do at DL? If you want to visit the Cantina, Savi's, or Droid Depot, don't forget to make your reservations ahead of time.

The Jungle Cruise and Enchanted Tiki Room are always fun if you're passing through Adventureland.

Otherwise, the railroad will definitely save you some walking if the lines are short (i.e. IASM to HM).

The first couple of years I was a first timer with a group of friends who were regular visitors and we did one day visits.

The very first time I went I was just so over whelmed and had no clue about anything. I was then and still the same now not into the big coaster rides. I basically just knew about Fantasyland , Pirates of The Caribbean and Star Tours.

One that first time in Disneyland we basically didnt have a plan, other than lunch at The Plaza. My friends were great but I must have been such a pain. We started in Fantasyland and then my friends said what do you want to do next. I dont know, um Pirates, ok lets go to Pirates. After Pirates lets go to Star Tours, then my friend suggest Haunted Mansion, me clueless, um whats Haunted Mansion. Its a haunted house, funny scary, not scary scary, my 5 year old son loves it, me ok, if a 5 year old loves it, it must be ok, so we go back across the park and over to Haunted Mansion etc ect you get the picture.

I loved that my friends let me for the most part suggest rides, however as we just had one day they tried to give me the best day ever at Disneyland and we were go go go. I would have loved to be a bit slower, to take in all the sights and sounds. Also we ate at The Plaza as that was whee they had lunch every time they went to Disneyland. Since I have been my solo trips I haven't eaten at The Plaza.

Also my friends are from California and are used to the heat and sun, Im from Ireland and I'm not. Now on my solo trips I try to be inside either shopping, a restaurant or a show between 1pm and 4pm , where as on that first day, my friends didnt realise that my body didnt like the heat and I needed some down time in the afternoon.

My friends tradition every time they go to Disneyland is to get pizza to go in the evening and find a spot for the fireworks in front of The Castle and eat their pizza while waiting for fireworks. Now on my solo trips I do a Fantasmic Blue Bayou dining package and I dont watch the Fireworks from The Castle.

After all that, my advice is to talk to your friend. Ask about expectations for the day, what rides and attraction she knows about. Ask about food budget and the type of food she eats. you said about walking distances, so maybe plan to sit and people watch every so often. You and your daughter might do Indiana Jones, then Pirates, then down to Splash and then Haunted Mansion and then walk over to Tommorrowland but your friend might only be able to Indiana Jones and then Pirates and then maybe you might have some Mickey Benits and a Mint Julip, and then into Haunted Mansion, then take the train from New Orleans Square to Tomorrowland.

Will you all have MP? That can help with IASW and HMH and a few other non-coaster rides. It can also mean shorter lines for your friend, which will make the rest of the day's walking a bit easier. Be watching the app for wait times the week before your visit so that you can get a feel for the timing of the lines around the time when you'll hit the parks and throughout the rest of the day. Is there anything your friend really wants to see or do at DL? If you want to visit the Cantina, Savi's, or Droid Depot, don't forget to make your reservations ahead of time.
Will def have MP. I think she's really relying on me to plan the day. Doesn't seem to have many preferences. In SWGE, we may try to get a res at Oga's but she mostly just wants to walk around and take it in.

The Jungle Cruise and Enchanted Tiki Room are always fun if you're passing through Adventureland.

Otherwise, the railroad will definitely save you some walking if the lines are short (i.e. IASM to HM).
I forgot all about the tiki room! That's a great suggestion.

The first couple of years I was a first timer with a group of friends who were regular visitors and we did one day visits.

The very first time I went I was just so over whelmed and had no clue about anything. I was then and still the same now not into the big coaster rides. I basically just knew about Fantasyland , Pirates of The Caribbean and Star Tours.

One that first time in Disneyland we basically didnt have a plan, other than lunch at The Plaza. My friends were great but I must have been such a pain. We started in Fantasyland and then my friends said what do you want to do next. I dont know, um Pirates, ok lets go to Pirates. After Pirates lets go to Star Tours, then my friend suggest Haunted Mansion, me clueless, um whats Haunted Mansion. Its a haunted house, funny scary, not scary scary, my 5 year old son loves it, me ok, if a 5 year old loves it, it must be ok, so we go back across the park and over to Haunted Mansion etc ect you get the picture.

I loved that my friends let me for the most part suggest rides, however as we just had one day they tried to give me the best day ever at Disneyland and we were go go go. I would have loved to be a bit slower, to take in all the sights and sounds. Also we ate at The Plaza as that was whee they had lunch every time they went to Disneyland. Since I have been my solo trips I haven't eaten at The Plaza.

Also my friends are from California and are used to the heat and sun, Im from Ireland and I'm not. Now on my solo trips I try to be inside either shopping, a restaurant or a show between 1pm and 4pm , where as on that first day, my friends didnt realise that my body didnt like the heat and I needed some down time in the afternoon.

My friends tradition every time they go to Disneyland is to get pizza to go in the evening and find a spot for the fireworks in front of The Castle and eat their pizza while waiting for fireworks. Now on my solo trips I do a Fantasmic Blue Bayou dining package and I dont watch the Fireworks from The Castle.

After all that, my advice is to talk to your friend. Ask about expectations for the day, what rides and attraction she knows about. Ask about food budget and the type of food she eats. you said about walking distances, so maybe plan to sit and people watch every so often. You and your daughter might do Indiana Jones, then Pirates, then down to Splash and then Haunted Mansion and then walk over to Tommorrowland but your friend might only be able to Indiana Jones and then Pirates and then maybe you might have some Mickey Benits and a Mint Julip, and then into Haunted Mansion, then take the train from New Orleans Square to Tomorrowland.
Thank you for your perspective and advice. It was very helpful.

Will def have MP. I think she's really relying on me to plan the day. Doesn't seem to have many preferences. In SWGE, we may try to get a res at Oga's but she mostly just wants to walk around and take it in.
If she's pretty easy going about the day, that can take a lot of pressure off of you. There really is so much to see and take in at DL, so just hitting the highlights can seem like a lot for a newbie. Don't forget to get her a "First Visit" button!

Glad you mentioned this. When I go to the parks with other passholders, we have no problems walking around for hours at a time. However, when I bring first timers or those who don't frequent the parks, I have seen how much more we have to take breaks, or slow down. The amount of walking you do can be rough if you aren't used to it. Pay attention to how your friend is walking around so she doesn't get exhausted.

Glad you mentioned this. When I go to the parks with other passholders, we have no problems walking around for hours at a time. However, when I bring first timers or those who don't frequent the parks, I have seen how much more we have to take breaks, or slow down. The amount of walking you do can be rough if you aren't used to it. Pay attention to how your friend is walking around so she doesn't get exhausted.

exactly, I only get to the parks once a year so while now I consider myself a regular after nearly 10 years / visits, my body still needs more down time than locals or AP people.

Another thing I thought of is to make sure your friend has comfortable shoes. The first time I went, we were in LA for about 10 days and Disneyland was just 1 day of our vacation. We had a car and we did tons of sightseeing in LA, so my cute summer shoes were perfectly ok. HOWEVER I wasnt prepared for the miles of walking in Disneyland and by the end of the day, my feet were in agony and I couldnt wait to get rid of those cute summer shoes. Now when I go to Disneyland I wear well worn sketchers which are more suitable for the miles of walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter