Advice about staying offsite for one night and then checking into pop

Thuydee

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I’ve just ran the numbers and it seems like we would significantly save ($500)if we fly into Orlando on 4/5 vs 4/6. Unfortunately pass holder rates for pop is more expensive if we checked in on the 5th vs. 6th.
I figured we’d save one day off our resort/ dining package, and since our flight won’t get in until the evening, it would be a waste to pay for that first night.
Should we do a separate room only onsite reservation?
Or stay offsite somewhere for one night?
Problem would be no magical express from airport if we stay offsite.
What’s some other options?
Thanks !

Hi all,
I’ve just ran the numbers and it seems like we would significantly save ($500)if we fly into Orlando on 4/5 vs 4/6. Unfortunately pass holder rates for pop is more expensive if we checked in on the 5th vs. 6th.
I figured we’d save one day off our resort/ dining package, and since our flight won’t get in until the evening, it would be a waste to pay for that first night.
Should we do a separate room only onsite reservation?
Or stay offsite somewhere for one night?
Problem would be no magical express from airport if we stay offsite.
What’s some other options?
Thanks !

What we have done in the past.
1. Find an inexpensive hotel near the airport that has an airport shuttle. Shuttle from MCO to the hotel, stay the night, in the AM shuttle back to MCO and jump on the Magical Express.
2. Stay at the Hyatt that is inside MCO and get on Magical Express the next morning.
3. Get the cheapest room on property for the 1 night.

I would stay at the Hyatt inside MCO. You can get a good night sleep and jump on Magical Express first thing in the morning.

1. Find an inexpensive hotel near the airport that has an airport shuttle. Shuttle from MCO to the hotel, stay the night, in the AM shuttle back to MCO and jump on the Magical Express.

I just did a quick search and noticed that rates for 4/5/19 are higher than normal. I imagine that's because the date is within the Spring Break period.

That said, the rates start at about $90 plus tax for a refundable/cancelable reservation for a hotel that provides free airport transportation as well as free breakfast. I'm also seeing from "nicer" hotels in the $130 plus tax range.

2. Stay at the Hyatt that is inside MCO and get on Magical Express the next morning.

No deals at the Hyatt. On the night in question, they're asking $319 plus tax.

3. Get the cheapest room on property for the 1 night.

The cheapest 1-night only rate for 4/5/19 at Disney is $227. That's Disney's Coronado Springs Resort with a Passholder rate.

-----

Personally, with the above options, I'd go for the first one. Find a airport-area hotel with a free shuttle. Then, return to the airport the next day (as dansdad writes) and take Disney's Magic Express to your Disney Resort. The hassle of having to take shuttles to/from that hotel would be worth the $100ish you'd save.

Last edited:

On site will cost you more and your net savings won’t be all that great, but I’d choose that option. You’ll be more rested and be able to head straight to the parks the next morning. I’m not seeing availability for POP under a ph rate, rack rate is $185, less than anything available on a ph discount. Still less than what you’re saving in flights, but the most convenient as you most like wouldn’t have to change rooms.

I think the Hyatt at the airport will cost more than just getting onto property that night. I would book another night at Pop under the rack rate personally. You won’t save as much as staying offsite at a cheaper hotel, but then you will have to factor in additional transportation costs if there is no airport shuttle. I just think it’s nicer to start immediately on property.

I think the Hyatt at the airport will cost more than just getting onto property that night. I would book another night at Pop under the rack rate personally. You won’t save as much as staying offsite at a cheaper hotel, but then you will have to factor in additional transportation costs if there is no airport shuttle. I just think it’s nicer to start immediately on property.
A few points of clarification.
As @writerguyfl posted, the Hyatt is significantly higher.
As several posters have stated you can take the DME the next morning to WDW for free - either way there are no additional transportation costs

I just did a quick search and noticed that rates for 4/5/19 are higher than normal. I imagine that's because the date is within the Spring Break period.

That said, the rates start at about $90 plus tax for a refundable/cancelable reservation for a hotel that provides free airport transportation as well as free breakfast. I'm also seeing from "nicer" hotels in the $130 plus tax range.

No deals at the Hyatt. On the night in question, they're asking $319 plus tax.

The cheapest 1-night only rate for 4/5/19 at Disney is $227. That's Disney's Coronado Springs Resort with a Passholder rate.

-----

Personally, with the above options, I'd go for the first one. Find a airport-area hotel with a free shuttle. Then, return to the airport the next day (as dansdad writes) and take Disney's Magic Express to your Disney Resort. The hassle of having to take shuttles to/from that hotel would be worth the $100ish you'd save.

Ugh! You’re right about availability for one night on property- getting more expensive with less options.
Hopefully something pops up
We’ve done the Hyatt strategy on previous trips, and that worked it perfectly. Unfortunately, it’s really expensive this time!

I checked Hyatt at MCO for your date, and its $128/night which is cheaper than any of the values at disney. $128 is the member rate but its easy to sign up to be a member (you can do it on the spot while you book). I'd stay at Hyatt MCO then do DME the next morning.

I checked Hyatt at MCO for your date, and its $128/night which is cheaper than any of the values at disney. $128 is the member rate but its easy to sign up to be a member (you can do it on the spot while you book). I'd stay at Hyatt MCO then do DME the next morning.
Wow! I am not a member and the lowest quote I see is $319 on hotels.com. I'll have to look into becoming a member.

I'm a Hyatt member and I'm seeing $300 for advanced purchase!

Just checked member rate, and it’s still $300

What we have done in the past.

That's what we've always done. Don't know how many in your group, but for the 2 of us, it's always been the easiest and least expensive.
Shuttle there, shuttle back and go right over to the DME. Sometimes you can even get a nice breakfast before you shuttle back.

Wow! I am not a member and the lowest quote I see is $319 on hotels.com. I'll have to look into becoming a member.

I'm a Hyatt member and I'm seeing $300 for advanced purchase!

Just checked member rate, and it’s still $300
Wow, im a complete tool. I had the wrong hotel location. :lmao: Thats why the price was so cheap. haha! I checked now (correct location) and the price jumped up to $425 USD! :eek: And it said that theyre almost fully booked. Crazy price if you ask me!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter