Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR *COMPLETE* 9/10 **NEW** Italy ABD TR link posted 9/29

khertz

DIS Veteran
The evening star is shining bright
So make a wish and hold on tight
There's magic in the air tonight
And anything can happen...

Hello friends, old & new! Welcome to my 8th trip report on the DIS boards! I can't wait to share our adventures from our sort of last minute, definitely very short May weekend trip. Despite the fact that this was nowhere near any of our first trips, we still managed to experience some all new things. That's one of my favorite things about Disney World, despite numerous trips over the years, there are still new things to try! But here I am going on as if you know me. Most of you do, but for those that don't how about some introductions?

05-079
by disneymom1024, on Flickr
That's our family! I will be your narrator for this tale with possibly some additional posts from DH, as he had some time on his own to report on. I'm 29 years old. My primary job is wife to DH and mom to 3.5 year old DS. By trade, I'm also a pediatric hematology/oncology nurse at an outpatient infusion clinic. Pretty much everyone that knows me knows that my love for Disney World runs deep! I have always enjoyed writing, so you can imagine I was extremely happy to find this corner of the Internet where I could write about my Disney World trips and have people actually care about it! I also very much enjoy reading TRs and usually have a subscribed list of about 30+ TRs at any given time.

Next up is DH. He probably doesn't want me to put in writing that he is 30 years old, but alas, it's happened! He's officially out of his 20s! Aside from being an awesome husband and father, he is an engineer in the oil field working specifically with radiation sources. Interesting stuff, right? But more importantly, at least for you readers, he has developed a strong interest in photography, and loves being behind the lens during our Disney trips to get that perfect shot. He loves Disney World just as much as I do, although he is not quite as interested in the planning aspect. While I like to plan endlessly from the moment we decide when we are taking our trip, he prefers to go over plans when they are nearly relevant, such as just before our 180 day mark for ADRs and 60 days for FP+. He enjoys collecting Vinylmations, Disney photography, and all things Donald Duck.

And finally, there's DS. Like I said at the beginning, he is 3.5 years old, and such a handful! He definitely keeps us laughing, but he has his moments where he can drive us absolutely crazy. Such is being 3 years old, though, I suppose! He has been brought up correctly to love all things Disney, and was just as excited about this trip as we were. If you read my last TR, you know that DS quickly proclaimed Cinderella Castle to be HIS Castle on our last October trip. I have to tell you, he has since claimed all of the other park icons, and they can now be known as HIS big hat, HIS big ball, and HIS big tree. He is a big fan of pretty much any show on Disney Jr, loves Disney movies especially Cars, Planes, and Toy Story, and a huge lover of all things transportation, particularly trains, and as we learned on this trip, Disney buses, as he excitedly pointed out Every. Single. One.

The biggest milestone for us on this trip was that after months and months of measuring him almost daily, he made the 40" mark! We were really excited to try out riding some of our favorite rides as a family that had previously been off limits. Hence, the title of this Trip Report!

Since I didn't do a PTR for this trip, heres a brief overview of our plans...

WHEN: May 1st-5th

WHERE: The Wilderness Lodge! Our first time staying onsite in several years (not since our honeymoon in 2007) and our very first time staying deluxe!

WHAT: One night in Destin followed by three nights at Wilderness Lodge. We had 2 day base tickets, so our only park days were Saturday and Sunday. Another first for us this time with DS was driving to Disney World. We haven't done that since our last trip prior to DS's arrival when I was about 6 months pregnant with him. But since it was a short trip and we wanted to save money, we drove rather than our usual mode of flying Southwest.

WHY: Why? Because I need Disney in my life! In a nutshell, we were not supposed to visit Disney World in the year 2014. DH and I are taking part in the upcoming DIS Unplugged Viva Italia ABD trip later this year, which has been saved for and in the works for several years. But then...you know, you just start thinking, "how can I get myself there even for just a little while?" I pitched the idea to DH and he was on board, so we started looking at prices and dates. We started looking at the MK resorts simply for their proximity to the parks because our time there was so short and we didn't want to have to worry about getting back and forth to our usual resort, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, to maximize our time in the parks. There was a spring room discount out for the time we were looking at, and that's how Wilderness Lodge came within the realm of possibility and it met our needs!

Well, I hope that didn't get too long winded and that you are still interested in reading about our wonderful, albeit short, trip to the World! Despite that short time, we managed 3 DIS meets, all of them people I have looked forward to meeting for a long time. It was so perfect that our trips all lined up so well! Also, my aunt and uncle were there at around the same time with their three kids, all on their first trip! And I also had the chance to meet up with an old friend who was in town with her husband to run the Expedition Everest 5K. I couldn't believe we had so many people to meet up with in such a short amount of time, but we managed it all! So I hope you will follow along as I share all the details of our deluxe May weekend in Disney World!

Last edited:
Day 1: Thursday May 1st

Before starting off our road trip on Thursday morning, DS and I had to complete our nightly ritual of counting down the days to our trip by taking down the very last Mickey head from our countdown calendar Wednesday night!

01-001 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Not sure why he looks terrified...

01-002 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Okay, that's better!​

The next morning, we had planned to leave by 9 am, but we were actually ready to go a little early and hit the road at 8:45 am. Every minute counts when you're traveling with a little one and have to plan in frequent breaks!

DS was an angel all morning as we drove. He played a little on his iPad, but mostly he was happy to color and put together jigsaw puzzles on his lap board. We bought that for our trip we took to Tennessee last year, and it definitely came in handy once again!

01-007 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

We drove until about 11:30 am when we made it into Mississippi.

01-008 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

We stopped for lunch at Dairy Queen, which was good because we don't have them around here really. I think one just recently opened where we live but we haven't been to it yet. I got a burger and DH & DS both got chicken strips. But of course, everyone goes to DQ for the desserts! We got 2 small Blizzards to share, one cookie dough and one peanut butter. Delicious!

Full from lunch, DS conked out in the back seat as soon as we got back on the road and slept for about an hour and a half. When he woke up, we made a bad decision to stop for gas just before getting to Pensacola, and ended up at a gas station that was pretty expensive, and when we went inside to use the restrooms, the women's was closed for repairs, so I had to hurry in the men's. EW!! I couldn't wait to get out of there. Sorry to my guy readers, but seriously...just ew. DH was annoyed with me for making him stop there, and in retaliation, he spilled the remnants of the sunflower seeds he had been chewing on all day all over my feet and bag!!

01-009 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

Okay, he didn't really do it on purpose...At least I don't think so. But again, EW!

After that, we didn't stop again until we made it to our resort in Destin. This was right after all of the rain and flooding, which we literally ran into as we were trying to get to our building from the guard station. We just hit a spot in the road where we literally couldn't go anymore because it was completely flooded! There was even a car floating in the parking lot that we could see ahead of us! Luckily our resort was on somewhat higher ground and we were able to find a roundabout way to get there. We got checked in and our room was ready! So we headed upstairs to check it out.

01-010 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

As you can see, DS made himself comfortable right away and started watching Word Girl while I went around to snap some photos of our unit on my iPhone.

01-011 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
The living room

01-013 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Dining room & Kitchen

01-014 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
This is back to the entry way, the open door is the second bedroom and the kitchen is to the right

01-015 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
DS's bedroom

01-016 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Second bathroom

01-017 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Master bedroom

01-018 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Master bath

01-019 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Jacuzzi tub!

01-020 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
And finally...the view!!​

The waves were pretty crazy from what we could see, and we wanted to get to bed pretty early that night, so we decided not to head to the beach with the intention of getting in the water. Instead we looked around for a place close by for dinner that we could walk to on the beach to let DS put his toes in the sand and in the water.

UP NEXT: The beach! (I promise, it won't be long before we make it to Disney! We didn't take many more pics this day, but I just can't get to them tonight.)

YES new TR! I am here, of course. You know the crying with laughter emoji? That was me when I read "his big ball and his big tree." Your DS kills me!

Except for the lame gas stop, travel day seemed to go pretty well. I am so excited to hear all about WL! I won't be on the DIS much this week because I leave for Disney Saturday (!!!) but I will catch up when I get back!

I am here! I wouldn't miss this! So excited to hear about your stay at Wilderness Lodge!

I must say that I totally understand your disgust with the men's bathroom, haha. I have to clean the bathrooms at work and let me just say that urinals are not my friends. Yuck.

On a different note, I can't wait to read the rest!

Yay, you've started! :cool1:

Sounds like things went pretty well for your road trip. Wish we could drive to WDW, but it would be 24 hours each way! :faint: I think Izzy has a similar puzzle to that one (little Minnie/Daisy one in a tin from the Target dollar section). Glad he was able to amuse himself with the puzzles and coloring. And DQ is always a good road trip stop! We have tons of them around here (HQ is here), but we always stopped at plenty on road trips as a kid. Can't beat an ice cream break! :goodvibes

Your place in Destin looks beautiful! Can't wait to hear more about the trip.

Happy 4th weekend!

Yay! :cool1: You started! :cool1:

Can I just comment (and this is random - I warn you) that I think Mississippi has the BEST welcome sign! Thanks to wonderful DISers like you I get to see it because I have never seen it in person. Hey - its the little things. :rotfl2:

Umm - yeah - that's A LOT of sunflower seeds on your feet. :rotfl2:

Love seeing Paxton in his more recent pictures. He is getting so grown up.

Your condo was so beautiful. What a nice unit.

I'm here and so so excited to read this! I'm actually very curious to see how often we were in the same place at the same time. I'm betting it was a lot! Hahah. Can't wait to read more!

I am so here!

:cool1: Welcome!!!

YES new TR! I am here, of course. You know the crying with laughter emoji? That was me when I read "his big ball and his big tree." Your DS kills me!

Except for the lame gas stop, travel day seemed to go pretty well. I am so excited to hear all about WL! I won't be on the DIS much this week because I leave for Disney Saturday (!!!) but I will catch up when I get back!

Welcome, Courtney!! I know exactly the emoji you're thinking of, and he pretty much makes me do that daily. :rotfl: We often have random conversations in the car about which of his icons we will visit first on our next trip.

Ahhhh, have SO MUCH FUN on your trip!!!!! I can't wait to read all about it when you get back!

I am here! I wouldn't miss this! So excited to hear about your stay at Wilderness Lodge!

I must say that I totally understand your disgust with the men's bathroom, haha. I have to clean the bathrooms at work and let me just say that urinals are not my friends. Yuck.

On a different note, I can't wait to read the rest!

So happy to see you, Alex! I really can't wait to share WL because it was perfection...

I used to work in a restaurant and had to clean the bathrooms, and OMG what do men DO in there?! :scared1: Women's restrooms are not always a picnic either, but it was pretty awful in there so I got in and out as quickly as humanly possible.

Thanks for joining in!!

Yay, you've started! :cool1:

Sounds like things went pretty well for your road trip. Wish we could drive to WDW, but it would be 24 hours each way! :faint: I think Izzy has a similar puzzle to that one (little Minnie/Daisy one in a tin from the Target dollar section). Glad he was able to amuse himself with the puzzles and coloring. And DQ is always a good road trip stop! We have tons of them around here (HQ is here), but we always stopped at plenty on road trips as a kid. Can't beat an ice cream break! :goodvibes

Your place in Destin looks beautiful! Can't wait to hear more about the trip.

Happy 4th weekend!

Oh Lord, I guess driving to Disney is nowhere in your future!! :scared: It's about 12 hours without stops, so without DS we have done it all in one shot, but we knew we had to do it a little differently with a toddler. He can really go one way or the other on long car trips, but he was great that first day! He kept himself really well entertained with coloring and other games and puzzles we brought and didn't watch the iPad nearly as much as I had thought he would.

The DQ ice cream definitely helped keep us going! It was a great treat.

Hope you have a great holiday weekend as well! :goodvibes

Yay! :cool1: You started! :cool1:

Can I just comment (and this is random - I warn you) that I think Mississippi has the BEST welcome sign! Thanks to wonderful DISers like you I get to see it because I have never seen it in person. Hey - its the little things. :rotfl2:

Umm - yeah - that's A LOT of sunflower seeds on your feet. :rotfl2:

Love seeing Paxton in his more recent pictures. He is getting so grown up.

Your condo was so beautiful. What a nice unit.

Welcome aboard, Mary Ellen!

:rotfl: That is DEFINITELY random, but I'm glad it made someone happy because I almost didn't even bother posting it! I think we took a picture of the sign when we entered Alabama but completely dropped the ball when we made it into Florida so I was going to keep them all in. I'm glad I left it! :goodvibes

He chews on those sunflower seeds the ENTIRE day when we are driving, so yes, it was a lot to spill on me and it was not pleasant!!

He really is growing fast. He is so mature sometimes that I find I have to remind myself that he's only 3 years old and he's still going to act like it.

It was a beautiful place! And close to a lot of restaurants and shopping. We are not big beach people, but I could see ourselves staying there again if we ever found ourselves in Destin for a long weekend or something.

Joining in so excited to read more!

Awesome!! Welcome! :goodvibes

I'm here and so so excited to read this! I'm actually very curious to see how often we were in the same place at the same time. I'm betting it was a lot! Hahah. Can't wait to read more!

Yay, Marissa!! I'm thinking it was probably a lot too, because we always seemed to have just missed each other!

I'm here and joining in!:goodvibes

I still can't believe I missed the fact that you were, literally, in my neck of the woods for the night! Ugh, such slacking on my part. :rolleyes2 Landon would have loved to have met Paxton. He thinks any guy older than 2 is immensely cool, especially if they talk to him.:lmao:

That looks like a pretty nice room. And you can't beat the view; I do love our beaches here.
And yeah, that storm was brutal. It took out our car.:rotfl2:

Driving with a 3 year old, I can only imagine how that went....
Blizzards are the best. I know other places try to copycat them, but there's nothing like an actual one from DQ.

Of course I'm in!!!! Looking forward to another round of adventures. And FYI, DS can keep the Hat, the Ball, and the Tree... but I'm taking the Castle back!!!

You know, this feels like such a Disney thing. Most parents measure their children simply to track their height. Disney families measure and measure and measure just to reach that magical number. I love it!!

God, I know I see him on FB, but it's still amazing to see how quickly Pax is growing.

YESSSSS!!!!! See, your experience in the gross men's washroom!!! That will now be my excuse for "accidentally" using the women's washroom in Disney!!! Finally a good alibi other than stupidity! THANK YOU!! :goodvibes

I'm here and joining in!:goodvibes

I still can't believe I missed the fact that you were, literally, in my neck of the woods for the night! Ugh, such slacking on my part. :rolleyes2 Landon would have loved to have met Paxton. He thinks any guy older than 2 is immensely cool, especially if they talk to him.:lmao:

That looks like a pretty nice room. And you can't beat the view; I do love our beaches here.
And yeah, that storm was brutal. It took out our car.:rotfl2:

Driving with a 3 year old, I can only imagine how that went....
Blizzards are the best. I know other places try to copycat them, but there's nothing like an actual one from DQ.

It really is a bummer we both didn't realize it sooner so we could have worked something out!

The beaches are so beautiful! We hadn't been in years, so it was nice to see it again, even for only a short time. I was definitely glad the storm didn't completely wipe out the resort, but the golf course was totally unusable because it was so flooded. Really sucks that you lost your car. :sad1: That was terrible to see cars floating in the parking lot when we pulled up!

Of course I'm in!!!! Looking forward to another round of adventures. And FYI, DS can keep the Hat, the Ball, and the Tree... but I'm taking the Castle back!!!

You know, this feels like such a Disney thing. Most parents measure their children simply to track their height. Disney families measure and measure and measure just to reach that magical number. I love it!!

God, I know I see him on FB, but it's still amazing to see how quickly Pax is growing.

YESSSSS!!!!! See, your experience in the gross men's washroom!!! That will now be my excuse for "accidentally" using the women's washroom in Disney!!! Finally a good alibi other than stupidity! THANK YOU!! :goodvibes

He will fight you for it, I'm sure!! :rotfl: His Castle is still his favorite. :goodvibes

I can't believe what a true statement this is! :lmao: We were literally measuring him day and night, with shoes and without, hoping to make that magic height of 40". He was getting sooooo tired of it by the time the trip rolled around! But we had gotten good at getting him to stand up tall, so that was good.

I sincerely feel bad for guys who have to use those disgusting gas station restrooms. :scared1:

Woo hoo! Following once again on this trip report!! :thumbsup2

So wonderful to have you on board once again, Dave!

Of course I am in!

Nice getting on the road a few minutes early!

Men's bathroom..Yuck indeed.

Your room in Destin looks super nice!

joining!

That lap board things looks really cool - might have to get something like that for my kids

sounds a bit crazy just trying to get around Destin - but your place looks pretty nice!

Congrats to your son for making 40"! We are trying to stretch out my daughter a bit to hit 44" for our next trip as she has agree to ride the "gorilla ride" (a.k.a. Expedition Everest) with me

Oh, and of course the Castle, SSE, Tree, and Hat are his ... don't you know the rules of toddler ownership?

1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it is mine.
8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
10. If it's broken, it's yours.
11. If it's broken, but you are having fun playing with the pieces, it's mine again.
12. If there is ANY doubt, it's mine.

Just found your new TR and of course I'm subbed in!! Looking forward to your stay at VWL. We stayed there 2 years ago and loved it!

...and when we went inside to use the restrooms, the women's was closed for repairs, so I had to hurry in the men's. EW!! I couldn't wait to get out of there. Sorry to my guy readers, but seriously...just ew.
You ought to see the men's restrooms in the Superdome after all the drinking up until they cut everyone off to start the 4th quarter! Talking about ewww!!!

Why thank you ma'am...and from all of us in the Magnolia State to all of y'all up there in Delaware...come on down, take your shoes off and stay a while! ;)

OH look, I managed to come over before you were three months into your report.

That hotel looks really nice. Too nice for an overnight stop.

yay I made it almost at the beginning! :cool1:

We don't have a DQ here either. Well, actually they put one in our ferry terminal recently but since I'm never there without rushing to get somewhere, it may as well not exist. :rotfl2:

Yikes that flood situation sounds scary! Glad you made it relatively easily!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter