• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adventurer's club/jungle cruise-y themed three seasons porch

LovesDoomBuggies

<font color=blue>Owned by furry, blurry Jackson<br
I need ideas! Short of painting elephants and giraffes on the wall =) So far I'm thinking lots of plants, maybe some old-time looking trunks in the corner (that can serve as magazine storage or something)... DH has an old African mask his dad gave him from when he used to travel, so we will probably stick that up somewhere. I have a Jungle Cruise print (the old-timey one) too... I thought about hanging an old map up on the wall but most of the walls are taken up by windows so I don't think I can fit the print and the map up.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! =)

Maybe a few bamboo pieces of patio furniture? Or maybe even rattan, if that is what you already have. You could also keep a couple of those big tropical palm tree-type plants. They are relatively inexpensive at places like Ikea and Walmart. You could get a few lanterns, that would also add nice lighting when you are out on the porch in the evening. Also, had a few accent pillows in bold tropical prints.. big leaves and such.

Maybe a few bamboo pieces of patio furniture? Or maybe even rattan, if that is what you already have. You could also keep a couple of those big tropical palm tree-type plants. They are relatively inexpensive at places like Ikea and Walmart. You could get a few lanterns, that would also add nice lighting when you are out on the porch in the evening. Also, had a few accent pillows in bold tropical prints.. big leaves and such.

Lanterns are a great idea! I like the big palm-type plants too. I think my challenge is going to be how to bring in the "adventurer" part of it.

Maybe if you incorporated ropes? You could take an old lamp, and wrap it in sisal rope. Also, a hammock would be kinda neat.

You could decoupage Disney/Adventureland postcards (or other images) onto a small table or other piece of furniture and then apply varnish so it wouldn't get damaged with rain.

How about a zebra print rug? You could buy a cheap canvas (like the ones that you put down when you are painting a room), prime it, and paint zebra stripes on it, and add some type of finish to make it looked aged. Then add a layer of varnish so it'll be durable. If you google "canvas rug," I'm sure you'd find tons of instructions. It'd look really good and make a big impact.

Not sure of any other "adventurer" ideas. :)

Depending on whether the map is framed and you have any attachment value to it, you could always put the map on the ceiling. Since you are going for an Adventurer's Club feel to it too, just think of the main salon and how there are things all over your head. You probably don't have a ceiling high enough to go all out like the Adventurer's Club, but you can still add some interest above you.

Would love to see what you end up doing!

Look up Design Toscano for lots of furniture and decor ideas.:idea:

I've done my DS's room in an Adventurer Club theme. I actually decided on this before I'd ever heard of Disney's AC because I had alot of ethnic knickknacks from my misspent youth that I couldn't part with.

The great thing about the adventurer theme is stuff doesn't have to be from the same style/era etc.. so anything that appeals to you and is pre-50's will work. DS's bed is one of the old bamboo day beds from the Poly. He has an antique mahogany desk with a leather top paired with a chair that looks oriental (got it at Target's world marketplace sale 75% off). An old tiger oak book case diplaying all his junk (I mean treasures). He has a collection of drums - an old Cuban bongo, African ones etc. the bigger ones he uses as bedside tables or to display art objects. There is a large tiki statue in a corner holding his cd player.

I love this theme. How else could you have mahogany, oak and bamboo all in the same room? Most of the furniture are family pieces that wouldn't "work" in the rest of the house, but they look great combined in this way!

He has alot of masks and Mayan temple rubbings on his walls. I know you said you don't have alot of wall space but could you hang smaller things like the mask on the woodwork between the windows? Remember the AC is very cluttered, the idea is stuff has just accumulated over the years.

If you bought a large map you could decoupage it to some canvas and use it as a window cover (though I love the idea of pasting it to the ceiling! you could use the wheat paste that people use to affix fabric to their walls so you don't ruin the ceilings finish ).

I have a large rubbing of a jaguar I've been meaning to get stretched and I was going to hang it over a set of three adjoining windows in DS's room. We have picture railing that I hang everything from, so I will just suspend the rubbing from the rail with twine and it will hang over his twig style blinds, just sitting on top of the window molding. KWIM?

Sorry I've been twittering on,it's late. Hope this makes sense.

Go to disneyshopping.com They have a new line of Tiki themed products. In the outdoor section there are three Tiki Statues Mickey, Donald, and Goofy all about 18" tall and in the Bedroom section there is a comforter set, throw pillow, sheet set and lamp. You did say you had a big budget right?

I'm not suggesting you put a bed on the porch, but the fabrics might be useful.

Oh, how I wish I could redo my bedroom.

FYI.. We got Tiki Goofy, glued him to the top of a 3foot post, and installed him with the Yucka plant. He looks so great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter