Adventure to Ireland?

Meg13

All you have to do is decide what to do with the t
Hello. I'm an avid Disney fan, and was thinking of going with the Adventures to Ireland for a delayed senior trip, perhaps spring break of my freshman year of college. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, as I will be traveling solo. Thanks!

Are you sure you can't get a friend or family member to go with you? I believe the price is based on double occupancy and they may charge you a higher rate (check with ABD of course, but I thought I read that somewhere).

Also, you will be traveling to a foreign country - having lived overseas for eight years, three of them in my early 20's, 1st rule of thumb - always take a buddy, never travel alone. Of course, you will meet and be with other people on the tour but if you should go a day or two early or go out on your own in the afternoons and evenings (there is lots of free time on this trip), it's always safer to be with someone else.

On another note, DH & I did this trip back in May - it was wonderful.:love:

See, when I started out planning the trip, it was going to be me, my mother, and my sister going the summer after I graduated, before college. But that summer we're also going on a Disney cruise, and it's my parents' 20th anniversary. So that takes my mother out of the ruling. And my sister is younger than me, and vastly more immature, so she wouldn't be able to go with me. I don't have any close friends older/of the same age that could go with me, either, so I'm not sure who else I could go with. So I just reached the conclusion that I'd have to go on my own. Of course, I'm on the lookout for anyone that I might be able to stand a week with in a foreign country, but chances are slim.

But I'm hugely interested in other countries' cultures. That's always been a big point of interest for me. I figured it would be a wonderful way to experience a foreign country in a safe environment.

I will be going...once rates come out (for 2010) in about another 7 months -

Kris - :goodvibes

I travel solo all the time, and found ABD a *FABULOUS* way to travel on your own. I totally understand the reasons you list for traveling alone, and I've always been in favor of going alone rather than not going at all!

ABD *will* charge you a "single supplement", which is an extra approximately 30% of the trip price. It's not a bad percentage as singe supplements go.

The guides are great, and very helpful, and if you tell them you're traveling solo & nervous about it, they'll "keep an eye out" for you. Everyone I traveled with on my tour was very friendly, and I never felt "alone" unless I wanted to be. If you're going to travel alone, a tour like this is the best, safest way to go, especially to a foreign country.

As far as the Ireland adventure goes, I know there are some Trip reports on this board if you search for them.

Sayhello

I travel solo all the time, and found ABD a *FABULOUS* way to travel on your own. I totally understand the reasons you list for traveling alone, and I've always been in favor of going alone rather than not going at all!

ABD *will* charge you a "single supplement", which is an extra approximately 30% of the trip price. It's not a bad percentage as singe supplements go.

The guides are great, and very helpful, and if you tell them you're traveling solo & nervous about it, they'll "keep an eye out" for you. Everyone I traveled with on my tour was very friendly, and I never felt "alone" unless I wanted to be. If you're going to travel alone, a tour like this is the best, safest way to go, especially to a foreign country.

As far as the Ireland adventure goes, I know there are some Trip reports on this board if you search for them.

Sayhello

This is definitely encouraging; most of the other things I've read strongly advise against traveling solo, and it had me wary, but that's the only way I'd be able to travel. So this helps!

Have you ever gone and stayed a day or two before/after the official trip?

Honestly, traveling solo in Ireland (and English speaking country, well, for the most part) is very, very easy. I traveled around Dublin and environs by myself a couple of years ago (after spending a bunch of solo time in England). Especially if you are part of tour, I cannot imagine any problems.

Honestly, traveling solo in Ireland (and English speaking country, well, for the most part) is very, very easy. I traveled around Dublin and environs by myself a couple of years ago (after spending a bunch of solo time in England). Especially if you are part of tour, I cannot imagine any problems.

That makes me feel a lot better. My mother was worried about it, but she and I are major Disney fans; lots of faith in the Mouse.

So, I was wondering: about how much money should I expect to spend on this trip as a whole? I plan on booking as early as possible, and, if it's not TOO terribly expensive, adding a pre- and post-day. And how far in advance will I need to pay an initial fee?

Any other advice would be wonderful. This is my first real trip-planning experience; I've helped out something our WDW trips, but Mom is OCD and does most of it herself.

This is definitely encouraging; most of the other things I've read strongly advise against traveling solo, and it had me wary, but that's the only way I'd be able to travel. So this helps!

Have you ever gone and stayed a day or two before/after the official trip?
My guess would be they're talking about not traveling solo *by yourself*. There are only a few places I feel safe traveling totally by myself. But solo, on a tour.... I can't imagine why not. You have people looking out for you, expecting you to be places. As long as you don't do stupid things (don't go off with strangers, don't wander off the beaten path by yourself, don't get drunk, don't hike by yourself, always let the tour guides know if you're leaving the group, etc.) you should be fine.

I always go a day or two ahead of time to get acclimated. I'm usually ready to go home by the end of the trip ;) (but I may be staying a couple of extra days after my Canada ABD, because I have a friend who lives not too far away, who'll be joining me for a couple of days after the tour.)

Let me know if you have *ANY* questions, I'd be happy to help. I'm *infinitely* older than you are, but I may have some things I can help you with!

Sayhello

My guess would be they're talking about not traveling solo *by yourself*. There are only a few places I feel safe traveling totally by myself.

No, I was talking about solo *by yourself*. I would feel totally safe traveling in Ireland (and many other countries) by myself, and have done so.

I know that not everyone has the same comfort level/experience which is why I said that, especially as part of a tour in an English speaking country, the OP would be totally fine.

I cannot answer specifics about the ABD Ireland tour, though I do know that the hotel in Dublin (assuming it is still the Westin) is a great location for some pre-tour solo days.

ETA - sorry, apparently I transposed two words in Sayhello's post and got the wrong interpretation.

That makes me feel a lot better. My mother was worried about it, but she and I are major Disney fans; lots of faith in the Mouse.

So, I was wondering: about how much money should I expect to spend on this trip as a whole? I plan on booking as early as possible, and, if it's not TOO terribly expensive, adding a pre- and post-day. And how far in advance will I need to pay an initial fee?

Any other advice would be wonderful. This is my first real trip-planning experience; I've helped out something our WDW trips, but Mom is OCD and does most of it herself.
I can't really speak to the cost; I haven't done the Ireland itinerary. Plus, the cost of the tour itself can vary based on how full the trip is, whether there are "early booking discounts" still available or not, etc. I'd suggest calling an ABD concierge; they are fabulous at answering questions like this.

Depending on how far out the trip is, at this point you should only have to pay the $300 deposit (you need to pay that right away, but you have 14 days to change your mind and get a refund on that). The rest of the trip payment is due 90 days before the trip.

Again, I'd urge you to call ABD and talk to a concierge agent. They're very helpful & knowledgeable.

Sayhello

ETA - sorry, apparently I transposed two words in Sayhello's post and got the wrong interpretation.
Oh, good. I was wondering what I'd said that might have concerned you. I absolutely agree that people can travel solo, both by themselves or in tours. It really depends on where, whether I'd do it totally by myself or not. But I can't see any reason not to travel solo on a tour. Especially to an English-speaking country, as you say.

Of course, folks may be concerned because the OP is still in High School. I wouldn't encourage a High School student to travel totally by herself. But with a tour, that would be great.

Sayhello

Oh, okay. The thing about solo traveling would make sense.

Again, I plan on doing this my freshman year of college, so it won't be TOO bad, and with the concern (especially from my parents), I think I've eliminated going for pre-/post-days, which is okay by me.

I do have a question, though. I was reading somewhere (and I'm completely new to ABD, so this may be common knowledge) that tours are taken off the ABD after a bit. Is there a chance that Ireland will be taken off the options list by 2011?

We did the trip in May (Just DH & I) - we did 2 pre-nights at $333 a night (no post at the castle - wish we did!) and probably spent another $1000 on the meals that weren't covered and souvenirs. Keep in mind I bought LOTS of souvenirs:laughing:

I do have a question, though. I was reading somewhere (and I'm completely new to ABD, so this may be common knowledge) that tours are taken off the ABD after a bit. Is there a chance that Ireland will be taken off the options list by 2011?
Usually tours are taken off the list if the itineraries aren't popular or don't sell well. Some itineraries just turn out to be more trouble than they are worth. There's always a *chance* an itinerary won't make the cut.

That said, I think Ireland is one of their more popular itineraries, so I think the chances are small that it will be dropped.

Sayhello

We did the trip in May (Just DH & I) - we did 2 pre-nights at $333 a night (no post at the castle - wish we did!) and probably spent another $1000 on the meals that weren't covered and souvenirs.

This year the cost of 1 pre-night (double occupancy) is $360.64.
We're not doing a post-night but I know the castle is a bit more costly than the Westin in Dublin. ;)

Thank you all. That helps. :goodvibes

I guess that means I should start saving now!

I was thinking of booking this trip in 2010 with my mom and older daughter, who will be 7 by then. I'm excited, but curious as to how the economy will affect that sort of thing a year or so out. I'll be saving up for it as well. :)

Yup, I start actively saving for it next week. :cool1:

Mom has said that she's willing to go if I pay for half of her ticket, but I don't know how that'll work out, really. We've got a huge WDW trip this summer, then another, shorter trip in Thanksgiving (and possibly one in October). Then there's a Disney Cruise next summer, along with a few other trips to WDW. After that, and the rest of the stuff going on, I'm not sure how that'll work out. I think, however, that I may convince her to go with me on the England/France trip; the temptation of a chance to go to Disneyland Paris may be too much for her. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter