Adventure Guides

IsaacB

Earning My Ears
Hiyah,

I'm thinking about applying for the Adventure Guide opening with Adventures By Disney. Having read the job description (from a different site, so as not to open myself up to too much competition!), I'm still curious as to the day-to-day duties of an Adventure Guide are.

I'm currently a youth minister living just beyond the commutor belt outside of London (about an hour by train), and have done many, many trips with (mostly) young people, so the basic job description I'm comfortable with. I'm just curious about what it's like day-to-day.

Thanks for your help,

isaac

Our trips usually started about 8 a.m. The guides were up and checking on us at breakfast, usually around 7. The guides did a lot of walking and talking throughout the day. It's really a go, go, go pace. Most tours move around from city to city and the ABD guides stay in the same hotel as the guests. When the guests had free time, the guides had a hospitality booth to help choose restaurants and sites. We often did not end until 9 p.m. I know that the lead guide was often up until the wee hours of the morning doing administrative duties. While on the tour, there were changes and decisions that had to be made on the fly.

So, count on a 16 hour day when on tour. Our guides were relatively young, late 20's, early 30's. Both were unmarried. Both had lots of energy, which they really needed. A really upbeat disposition is a must.

Our guides , Vinnie and Marco, were awesome on Viva Italia. They shared with us some of the details of 'competing' for the Adventure Guide positions. I understood that there were thousands of applications.

You should remember that the Adventure guides do everything the guests do and then some! They are up each a.m. probably earlier than you, share meals with you, and manage the entire group during touring (bathroom and water breaks, etc.) They are responsible for giving us every instruction we need for our day; directions to restaurants, areas of interest, etc. for our free time; instructions on arrival and departure for each city/location. In addition to the historical guides Disney provides for each area tour (Rome, Florence, Venice, etc), the Adventure Guides are extremely knowledgeable about their country as well. They shared many interesting facts about their country with us, even some things which were perhaps not too flattering. You will see them taking just as many photos as you!

When you have the farewell dinner for whatever Adventure you are on, you will understand fully how important the Adventure Guides have been to your group. They become part of your ABD family!

Marco and Vinnie, if you are lurking, HELLO!:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter