• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advantages of epcot deluxe compared to moderate opinions

TOBS2010

A dream is a wish your heart makes...
We are planning a vacation this summer to WDW. Previously, we stayed at POR several times with kids ranging over the course of trips 2-6 years old. We are considering staying deluxe on property for a change of scenery. Our kids this time around will be 6 and 9. The access to some additional transportation options as well as being within walking distance of some parks is appealling. However, I am having a hard time leaving the moderate level resorts because of the easily accessible QS options. We didn't eat a ton of meals in the food court at POR---but having it as an option for morning coffee, a fast breakfast with the kids on the way out the door for the day and even as an option for dinner after a long day when the kids were spent was really helpful.

We are specifically looking at the Epcot resorts. Am I overthinking my concerns and will I regret staying deluxe, especially when it comes to quick, decent and affordable options. I don't mind sit-down meals, but sometimes with younger kids it's just not ideal.

The Epcot deluxes have the worst trio of Quick Service restaurants out of all the deluxes. As mind boggling as that is, it's sadly true. If having a proper food court is a major concern you may be disappointed. But for quick breakfast and coffee they are certainly serviceable. And there are dinner and lunch options too if you are flexible. The choice is just very low.

I think Riviera QS is great, Primo Piatto. We’re staying at BC on an upcoming trip and are planning on taking the skyliner over for a few meals throughout the week. Not as convient as a food court at the same hotel, but with mobile order it doesn’t take too much extra time. It’s not an Epcot resort, but we also really like the QS at GF.

The individual QS in each resort are nothing to write home about, but they have the advantage of so many being clustered together, that it isn't that hard to find enough to suit everyone. Swan and Dolphin have some decent options. There's also the pizza window and ice cream shop on the boardwalk side.

Plenty of options in the Epcot/Boardwalk area... Definitely would not let a lack of stellar QS opportunities keep me from the ability to walk casually to two of the four parks from my resort. We love staying at the Epcot resorts. We usually forego the QS anyway for small plates and burgers at the various lounges there. Much better food for not much more $$$... Think Ale and Compass and Crew's Cup.

We have stayed at POR several times and really like the resort. But we mostly stay at the YC or BC because of its location within walking distance of two parks. The main pool at BC/YC is great, too. I will agree that POR's quick service is nicer with more food options, especially for dinner. But the smaller deluxe resorts with everything under one roof is a lot nicer than staying at a huge resort with four bus stops. :)

Last edited:
We are planning a vacation this summer to WDW. Previously, we stayed at POR several times with kids ranging over the course of trips 2-6 years old. We are considering staying deluxe on property for a change of scenery. Our kids this time around will be 6 and 9. The access to some additional transportation options as well as being within walking distance of some parks is appealling. However, I am having a hard time leaving the moderate level resorts because of the easily accessible QS options. We didn't eat a ton of meals in the food court at POR---but having it as an option for morning coffee, a fast breakfast with the kids on the way out the door for the day and even as an option for dinner after a long day when the kids were spent was really helpful.

We are specifically looking at the Epcot resorts. Am I overthinking my concerns and will I regret staying deluxe, especially when it comes to quick, decent and affordable options. I don't mind sit-down meals, but sometimes with younger kids it's just not ideal.

I would definitely consider BC or YC. I agree that the QS at the mods is super convenient, however, I like the QS at YC, especially, and the QS at BC isn't bad - what's nice about staying at either BC or YC is you have quick access to both of those QS plus Ale & Compass now offers a mobile order option, so you can get that TS meal to go. My DS14 and I stayed at YC last June and we mobile ordered from A&C several times as well as meals from BC and YC QS. I found it quite convenient and there was a pretty good variety of food. The food from A&C was especially good. I would not recommend staying at BWV or BWI - the QS there is incredibly limited and you have to go outside onto the Boardwalk to access it - it's not convenient at all.

We love the Swan and Dolphin and price is usually comparable to a Disney moderate. Lots of food options including room service, several pools (we get lunch at the pool often and it’s great and they deliver right to your chair), game room
With prizes (seems silly but my dd7 loves it). You can also order QS from a nearby resort for pickup and still get most onsite benefits and can walk or boat to HS or Epcot.

I love the Epcot resorts but the food situation can be a pain at times, especially at BWI. What we do is get a grocery order and do breakfast in the room almost everyday. That meal and time seems to be the most difficult for us.

I hear you about the food court at POR; it was the best, at any time of day. While staying at the Epcot resorts is convenient for the location, their counter service options are very disappointing.

However, I am having a hard time leaving the moderate level resorts because of the easily accessible QS options. We didn't eat a ton of meals in the food court at POR---but having it as an option for morning coffee, a fast breakfast with the kids on the way out the door for the day and even as an option for dinner after a long day when the kids were spent was really helpful.

I'm not sure what your family likes to eat for a fast breakfast on the way out the door for the day. Have you ruled out eating in the room? PP mentioned having groceries delivered. Another option is to pick something up in the resort gift shop to keep in the room. The Beach Club and the BoardWalk both have grocery sections in their gift shops, because some of their guests are staying in DVC timeshare rooms with kitchens. You should be able to get cereal, milk, juice, donuts and other packaged pastries, poptarts, maybe bagels.

You can find dinner options at the Beach Club Marketplace, the Market at Ale & Compass, The BoardWalk Bakery, and the BoardWalk To Go Kiosk. Check out the menus.

We encountered this our first stay in that area at YC, since then we've learned that if you have at least one person who's ok with walking a little you can :
1) head over to Boardwalk bakery, more options available if Marketplace doesn't meet your needs and
2) The best tip I have is Utilize and think of the Dolphin, etc, as being a part of your World, they are Right There and the Pikabu has all kinds of quick serve options.
Use every resort on the Boardwalk area to meet your needs, it's all close to each other. When you look at it that way, you have actually increased your options
We do this at every resort ( ex: it's not just Pop it's AoA good too, it's not just All Star Movies food , it's Sports and Music too, etc)

Granted, there are lounge and TS options at the Epcot resorts, but it's not the same as grabbing a table at a resort QS and sitting down in any state you happen to be in after a full day of parks. And you don't have to wait for your food to come. If you are basing on QS, stay at mods. If you want the other perks of deluxe, weigh them against that. Now that my kids are older they definitely prefer being near WS but they go on their own.

Maybe try Swan and Dolphin to get a feel for the area. Look at prices on the Marriott website, sometimes you can get an AP discount that is cheaper than POR.

Otherwise, many good tips have been given by previous posters.

We decided to switch our POFQ in July to the Dolphin as it was actually cheaper (even WITH the infamous resort charge) to stay there. Access to the Deluxe Extra Evening hour and being walking distance to both EPCOT and DHS are more important to us than a nice food court and being close to Disney Springs. We were only planning on eating breakfast (and beignets) at the food court anyway so instead, we will keep some breakfast items in the room and try the different QS available in the area.

Epcot resort area can't be beat as far as location and ease of access to parks. I mean, World Showcase is your backyard with tons of food options.

We had food from the food court at CSR and it was not good. We wouldn't choose a hotel just for the food court over Epcot area (if you can afford to stay there). But I get that may be important for some.

We aren't big breakfast people, so we usually buy bagels/cream cheese for the room, but we also treat ourselves to Mickey Waffles a few times from the quick service. Sometimes just a croissant. Always cold coffee!

Have you looked at the menus for the counter service at Yacht/Beach? I think they are pretty decent sized for both breakfast and lunch/dinner. You have the Market at Ale & Compass (Yacht), Beach Club Marketplace (the mac & cheese options are supposed to be delicious!) and also, remember you have Hurricane Hannah's outside.
If you are staying longer, then yes, it would get tiresome to only eat only quick service. But then hop on over to Epcot! :D Or I think you can order from the restaurant at Ale & Compass too.

And you have Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk within waking distance and Riviera just a skyliner ride away.

And remember, if you stay Deluxe or DVC, you can take advantage of the evening extra hours at MK/Epcot and maybe DHS?

Have fun whatever you do!

Last edited:
Well it use to be before park passes were a thing.

If you have a hopper, you can always go there after 2. I don't think Epcot has ever been closed to hopping.

I always recommend having park hoppers if you are staying in Epcot area. Being able to bounce over to Epcot or DHS at night is just too tempting!

If you have a hopper, you can always go there after 2. I don't think Epcot has ever been closed to hopping.

I always recommend having park hoppers if you are staying in Epcot area. Being able to bounce over to Epcot or DHS at night is just too tempting!
It still rules out breakfast and lunch if you don't have a park pass reservation there. A big negative imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter