Adults & Solo Travelers: Park Touring Plans & Break time?

diznee25

Disney all the time
It seems that families take their breaktime between noon and 4pm. Do you use this to your advantage and stay in the parks or do you take breaks during the same time as families? Or do you not take any breaks at all?! Just curious to see if adults traveling without children have different stragities for touring the parks and taking breaks than families with children.

Thanks,
Diznee25

We have two different plans: The June plan (I often go for business) and the fall plan (we've gone the last several years in either September or October). They differ due to crowds and hours, and to a degree the heat (September is summer like, October is not).

When we go in September or October, we take no break whatsoever. We do our lunch PS later (around 2 to 2:30 usually) in an air conditioned facility, and we let that be our break. We also do the indoor, air conditioned rides not according to a "touring plan," but when we need a break. Example: when in Epcot and we're getting hot and tired, we do Universe of Energy, which is almost an hour of sitting and cooling, stem to stern. Finally, if we're up to it, we close the park. If we've had enough late in the day, we leave. This is doable because with the lighter crowds (especially in September), we're able to get so much done we don't feel the need to milk pennies out of our passes.

June is a different story. You'll find a lot of people here take that mid-day break, but this is an odd crowd. I don't mean this in an arrogant way, but when you're in these forums, you're talking to the Disney pros, people who do it over and over again, and when they're not doing it, they're researching, learning, and dreaming. By the time most of us get there, we know exactly what we're walking into, and pretty much what to do and when to do it.

But the average Disney guest doesn't take that mid-day break. When we go in June, my wife and I usually do a 12:30 lunch PS (June 8, Le Cellier, here we come!), then idle out of the park, stopping if anything catches our eye. We'll head to the hotel and catch a swim. Then we'll sit in the room and just cooooool off, maybe even take a lazy mini-nap. We go back about 5 PM.

What we find when we get there is one of the best kept secrets in Disney. It seems there are masses leaving the park about this time, mostly families. I attribute this to many folks who in fact didn't take a break, have burned out, and are heading back to the hotel for food, pool and rest. Many of those left in the park seem slow, cranky, and unwilling to wait in long lines. And a lot of them are eating at that point. Therefore, we've decided the hotter it is, the better the 5-7 PM range is in any park.

There are exceptions to this. MK on a Saturday is always a crapshoot. But even on a Saturday, there is an "attraction lull" between 5-7 PM.

For the most part, that's the plan we follow, and I swear by it. I'll always take the break when it's hot. I feel better, and there are crowd swings to be taken advantage of.

Pat

I'm glad to see all the vets do take afternoon breaks. My GF and I are about to take our 1st trip, and believe me, we'll be taking that break every day.

I have always gone with family before and took tohose breaks! This time I am going solo and have built breaks into my plan. I have some physical challenges and I find that the rest really helps me to have a quality experience! And by doing EE and staying until around 11:30---then returning around 4--I can still do all I want to do and am a lot more energised in the evening!

Thanks Pat!

I appreciate your insight on summer visits. I rarely go during the summer, but am going in a few days and will try this strategy.

I've always taken an afternoon break about the same time, whether solo or with family. Guess I'm a creature of habit-always "poop out" about the same time of day regardless! Only difference is that if I'm solo, sometimes I just head for the nearest rocking chair (like Samantha Brown once said, "I brake for rocking chairs), and just rock and rest. Once I just got on the monorail and rode around and round with my head leaning against the window (and ignoring the strange looks I occassionally got). So I still take breaks at the same time regardless of solo or family trips, but just "break" in different ways sometimes.

We usually take breaks too - we call it "re-grouping" even though there are only two of us! We just go back to the hotel and unwind for a few minutes, maybe have some cheese and crackers and swap shoes...take a swim if we're hot. We tend to park hop, so we usually end up at a different park after our re-group. Interesting thought about staggering with the typical family break time Diznee25, we may have to try it this fall!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really enjoy reading everyone's experiences regarding breaktime.

Pat I found your post to be really insightfull!!

Thanks again everyone,

Diznee25

Well I really don't take a break as much as I sit down and relax somewhere in the park for an hour or so depending on how tired I get. Usually at the Magic Kingdom I'll take a trip on the Liberty Bell which is a nice time.

We are at WDW right now and the temps are in the low 90's. A break is most welcome, since the crowds are also fairly high.

We usually take a break after lunch and head back into the parks around 5pm. If there are any special programs (like the Flower Power concerts currently at Epcot) we'll try totake those in upon returning for the evening.

Today, we went to MGM around 10:30 and spent our time in the AC at One Man's Dream, the Animation Tour and WWTBAMPI. We left at 2pm and went to MK for lunch and enjoyed a few attractions (Buzz Lightyear, HM, PotC, CBJ and Splash) between 3 and 5:45. Make sure you take advantage of FastPass and the afternoon parade as the crowds do disappear for about 30 minutes around the parade. We just spent the evening back at the resort, since T'storms moved in around 6pm.

Often we'll take a swim during our break, but keeping cool is the highest priority.

Enjoy!

I take a break each day, to at least give my tootsies a rest. Plus, this lets me relax for a little while and get recharged.

Besides being an early riser, I almost always do Early Entry into the parks. So by early to mid afternoon, I head back to my resort and take a dip in the pool, sit in the hot tub or relax in my room (even take a quick cat nap). Since you are on your feet so much while you're there, taking breaks like this will make your feet very happy.

I also tend to break up the day by splitting it between 2 parks. I'll hit the EE park in the morning, take a break, then head for another park in the afternoon. I think this keeps me from getting overkill at one park. I also don't tackle the parks in a commando frame of mind either. I make a list of my must-do's at home, then if I get get to anything else, great. If not, then I'll hit it the next time.

Past couple of times we've been at Disney, we've handled this in two different ways (adults, no children, offseason only). However we are not early risers and sometimes don't make it in the parks until lunch. If this is the case we are usually there all day or until park close if in AK, MGM or MK closes early (6 pm). We have occasional days where we will be in the park by 10:00, I find that we do take breaks where we will leave about 3:00 or 4:00 and go back to the hotel for a nap. Usually we we head back out around 6:00 and we go to DTD, Boardwalk or Epcot at that point. On average we'll do a park for 5/6 hours take a break or just head back to the hotel for the day or go and eat offsite for a few meals.

We are early risers, so usually take advantage of EE (now that it's back and before it was gone). We always stay at an Epcot resort, so taking a midday break is easy. Monorail to Epcot from MK, walk out the International Gateway, off to BCV (our DVC home), or walk from MGM or take the boat, or just leave Epcot when we're tired. If we do AK, we don't usually return after our EE there. If we want to see more of AK, we either do EE twice or go back in the late afternoon after taking a morning off at our resort, miniature golfing, or EE at another park. We really take advantage of park hopping, sometimes doing 3 or 4 parks in one day, with breaks at our hotel worked in. I have been known to nap at France, but that was when we stayed at WL or OKW. It was a big hassle to go back to our resort. Now that we stay at BCW or BWV, we definately take a break, I usually nap and Stephen reads, swims, or even goes into Epcot for a Kaki Gori. I just can't seem to make it all day w/o a nap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter