Adult with moblity issues w/chair not appropriate

maestro

Earning My Ears
Hoping someone here can advise on this issue please. My Husband suffered a severe back injury (3 fractured vertebrae) whilst serving on a submarine, it has been a long haul to return him to sme sort of normal mobility but he is (Thank Goodness) now mobile again. The problem that we have is that, He appears fit and healthy and on good days can walk quite well as long as he takes his pain medication etc, on bad days he has to use crutches. His Doctors state that it is important for him to keep mobile, and he finds that sitting for any length of time actually increases the amount of pain that he suffers. On this basis he flatly refuses to consider using a wheelchair or ecv, he manages to walk the distances involved and we always use fast pass, however, he is finding that standing (and not walking)for prolonged periods has the same effect as sitting for long periods and causes a great deal of pain and 'freezes up' his back.
Is it possible to get a GAC wich will allow him to wait somewhere other than the line so that he can sit down stand up and move around. (not wishing to lessen the wait, just to make it more bearable for him)
I know many of you have to deal with more urgent needs, but would really appreciate any advice on this. Also if we bring our UK blue badge am I correct in thinking that we could park on the end of the row to lessen the walk to the tram?
Thanks Ceri x

I'm not sure how that would be handled for a GAC. There is the possibility to consider of renting an ECV anyway. He does not have to use it all the time, but it would be available and it is much better than crutches. There would be nothing to prevent him from parking it (in a stroller parking area) and removing the key to walk for a while and then coming back to use the ECV.

My understanding is that within WDW and in the Orlando area the police will accept a UK Blue Badge just as if it were a state-issued disabled hang tag.

I would go to guest relations and just explain you situation. I am in no way saying they will give you the GAC because every situation is different and they handle every situation differently. The worst thing that could happen is that they say "no" I think it would be worth a try.
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Jennifer

I don't see why you couldn't get a GAC. Your husband's needs sound similar to those of some Guests with autism, what with not being able to wait/stand in lines for long periods of time (although I realize with your DH, it's physical). Keep in mind that most lines at Disney are reasonably constantly moving, although granted at different speeds.
It may be possible for your DH to wait in the (where available) child swap area and when you get to the front of a line, he joins you. Although thinking about that - if he has back issues, he's probably not going to be riding attractions that provide child swap :)

Thanks for your replies, I think I will enquire about a GAC at guest services as he also has some difficulties with stairs/steps, he can negotiate these but he is VERY slow. Would he be permitted to use something like a "shooting stick" in line ( don't know if you guys call them that - a kind of walking stick with a fold out seat on top) as an alternative to his walking sticks?
Ceri x

I would suggest renting a manual chair. Ride when tired, push it when he gets stiff. The wheelchair handles will give extra support like a walker...

Christamae

I completely understand about the lines being as hard or harder than walking between lines. The motion of walking across the park is different than in a line. You might want to take a doctor's letter with you. Once I ran into an idiot behind the counter of guest services. The chances of you getting someone so desperately lacking in common sense and customer service skills are small, but it can even happen at Disney.

maestro said:
Thanks for your replies, I think I will enquire about a GAC at guest services as he also has some difficulties with stairs/steps, he can negotiate these but he is VERY slow. Would he be permitted to use something like a "shooting stick" in line ( don't know if you guys call them that - a kind of walking stick with a fold out seat on top) as an alternative to his walking sticks?
Ceri x
They used to allow the walking sticks with canes, but some people (last summer I think) were saying they were told at the Sercurity checkpoint that they could not longer be brought in.

There are a few attractions that have steps and I know they do give out GACs that allow steps to be bypassed. One thing to remember is that not all attractions are able to offer the specific accomidations you might want/expect (for example, very few attractions have a place where you can sit down to wait).

Each attraction is somewhat different. In many, the child swap area is in an area right by boarding, so you get to it after waiting in line (so he wouldn't be able to wait for you there). Many attractions have a slow constant movement in line because they are loaded constantly.
There are others that either are theater shows or load in "batches". In those, you will be standing still in line for a time period; then, as they load, the line moves quickly to another point where you will stand still for a while again.
Another place where you will be standing for a while is the Preshow or gathering area for attractions. All the theater shows have an area like that. Some don't have any seats and have very little space to move around (Little Mermaid). Some have bench seats and space to move around (the movie in China), but the show doesn't have seats (a 360 movie where you have lean rails - if he chooses a place in a far back row with few people, he can walk around). Some have a very few bench seats in the waiting area and have space to move around (like Ellen's Energy Adventure, American Adventure and the Presidents one in MK), but having a GAC doesn't help if someone is in those seats before you.
For those kinds of attractions, the only way to make sure to have a seat is to bring one with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter