Admin Please Close Thread.

So Pickleball was created by people on Bainbridge Island in WA. I grew up a couple hours north of there, and in the 80s Pickleball was something we played in PE. I don't remember the rules either. However, I do remember in 5th grade getting hit in the head with one of the paddles, the extremely bloody aftermath, how quickly we were ushered into the doctor's office, the 12 stitches and coming back to school to rumors that my eye had fallen out.

Do we have any Pickleball players here? I have never played and not sure I will, but it does look a lot easier to play than tennis. Every day on my run/walk, I see tons of people playing or waiting for their turn. I do know that in my area there has been some tension between various groups vying for limited space to play this growing sport.
Pickleball has become very popular here, especially in the past year. I have multiple friends that have taken lessons within the last few months and most of them love it. I tried it once and it’s not my thing. I am not very athletic and am not competitive at all. I just remember they kept telling me to stay out of the kitchen. 😄

We were visiting a friend’s daughter at her university on a Sunday last month and I was surprised to see so many students playing pickleball on multiple courts.

Reactions: rlk
There is a court about a block over, but I've never played. I keep reading about HOAs getting sued because they are installing them, but it is so loud. Sorry if that was posted :)

We’ve never stayed in an AirBNB or VRBO. I have a perhaps irrational fear, that we will pay for the room and it will fall through at the last minute and we would our money & have no place to stay.
I have had concerns with this as well. So the only time I have used them is when they are historic hotels or unique places to stay that have turned to them as their booking platform and this is the only way you can stay there. I also look at Trip Advisor to see how many reviews they have. I tried a VRBO on a presumed one owner property one time. The terms at that time were 25% deposit and the remaining X-rays out. I booked way further than X days out and the owner started calling me repeatedly asking when I would pay the rest because if not she would be renting to some regulars that now want it instead. I Went ahead and canceled as it seemed like either fraud or a pain.

I wasn’t crazy about dodgeball, but I loved those scooter-thingies. I also loved the big parachute that everyone would lift up in the air and we would sit under it. Fun times!
The scooter thingies were the best! One of my fave memories is when I was in first grade living in Cuba and we would race around in gym class on them. The parachute was awesome also. I was sad that my kids didn’t get to experience one. If I have grandkids someday I’m going to have to track one down.

The scooter thingies were the best! One of my fave memories is when I was in first grade living in Cuba and we would race around in gym class on them. The parachute was awesome also. I was sad that my kids didn’t get to experience one. If I have grandkids someday I’m going to have to track one down.

OMG, I was literally trying to think of the parachute game but was drawing a blank. 😂 😂 In my head, I was just seeing us playing with sheets that were billowing in the air. I mean, I wouldn’t put that past the elementary PE teachers of the 70’s.

Encountered pickleball in the Villages in Florida in the early 2000s after the FIL moved there when the MIL passed. I thought it was fun to play - lots of leagues starting in Atlanta these days as it has gained so much more popularity.

My husband plays tennis so he was super annoyed when his team went to nationals and got bumped out of playing at Indian Wells. The pickleball people got those courts and we had to drive to some random place.

He’s been bitter about pickle ball ever since.

• Sad
OMG, I was literally trying to think of the parachute game but was drawing a blank. 😂 😂 In my head, I was just seeing us playing with sheets that were billowing in the air. I mean, I wouldn’t put that past the elementary PE teachers of the 70’s.
I loved the scooters. I do remember playing a game with a parachute, but the details are foggy. My favorite elementary gym days were when we had an obstacle course set up; trampoline, pummel horse, ropes, and a few other stations that would never be allowed in a public school PE class. They had the students spotting the jumpers on the trampoline. One off-centered jump and kids went flying.

I am a little jealous and confused???? Maybe the schools I attended were just too poor but I have never heard nor seen these scooter things for dodgeball or any other PE activity. Ya'll were spoiled. :p When we played dodgeball it was more duck and/or run for your life! BUT, it was a blast.

My favorite games were kickball, dodgeball, and jump the river. OH!! And of course duck, duck, goose.

I have never used AirBnB but I did find a place on VRBO that we have stayed twice but we don't actually use VRBO. It's a property owned by a local that uses VRBO more to advertise per say. You can go through VRBO for payment if you wish but we chose to just deal with the owner directly and wrote out our checks to her personally. We will probably stay at the property on Folly Beach SC again next summer. She is a great owner. After our first stay, she said we no longer need to give her a security deposit because we were great renters. She keeps detailed logs of all the renters which is good business.

My SIL/BIL own a few rental properties in Lake Geneva WI, Savannah GA, and Ft Lauderdale FL. They have chosen not to use AirBnB or VRBO but use local rental management companies to handle their properties.

I am a little jealous and confused???? Maybe the schools I attended were just too poor but I have never heard nor seen these scooter things for dodgeball or any other PE activity. Ya'll were spoiled. :p When we played dodgeball it was more duck and/or run for your life! BUT, it was a blast.

My favorite games were kickball, dodgeball, and jump the river. OH!! And of course duck, duck, goose.

I have never used AirBnB but I did find a place on VRBO that we have stayed twice but we don't actually use VRBO. It's a property owned by a local that uses VRBO more to advertise per say. You can go through VRBO for payment if you wish but we chose to just deal with the owner directly and wrote out our checks to her personally. We will probably stay at the property on Folly Beach SC again next summer. She is a great owner. After our first stay, she said we no longer need to give her a security deposit because we were great renters. She keeps detailed logs of all the renters which is good business.

My SIL/BIL own a few rental properties in Lake Geneva WI, Savannah GA, and Ft Lauderdale FL. They have chosen not to use AirBnB or VRBO but use local rental management companies to handle their properties.
I'm with you. What the heck? We just prayed we didn't get our heads knocked off! Do you all remember the parachute in PE? I bet that isn't even a thing these days.

The best part of Airbnb and VRBO for us is that we can choose to rent ones with good cancellation policies. A lot of the managed properties won't let you cancel or if they do it has to be rerented and still you only get a percentage back. That's honestly probably the only reason we use them. I'm not going to lie, I'm wishy washy and change my mind a lot. Thank goodness Disney is set up to cater to us indecisive people!!

i was thinking the same thing. in the 60's and 70's elementary it was very informal and consisted mostly of softball and dodge ball (which by the time MY kids hit school in the early 2000's was renamed 'bombardment' and there were limited 'body zones' you could hit BUT NOW many states and individual school districts have entirely illegalized/banned it). jr high had more stuff, and high school? thankfully i was excused from p.e. for all 3 years :thumbsup2

I'm with you. What the heck? We just prayed we didn't get our heads knocked off! Do you all remember the parachute in PE? I bet that isn't even a thing these days.

The best part of Airbnb and VRBO for us is that we can choose to rent ones with good cancellation policies. A lot of the managed properties won't let you cancel or if they do it has to be rerented and still you only get a percentage back. That's honestly probably the only reason we use them. I'm not going to lie, I'm wishy washy and change my mind a lot. Thank goodness Disney is set up to cater to us indecisive people!!

We moved a lot when I was a small child but I do remember a parachute once or twice outside. I kinda remember there being small balls on top of the parachute and we would fluff the air under the parachute and the balls would be bouncing around on top but I don't remember if that was a game or just an activity???

I think the refund policy was one of the reasons we originally picked this particular Folly Beach condo because it was owned and managed by a local woman. She has a very generous and reasonable refund policy where the management agency condos did not. I honestly have no idea what the refund policy is for my SIL/BIL's properties as we get the "family discount"......LOL = free but we pay cleaning fee. :goodvibes

i was thinking the same thing. in the 60's and 70's elementary it was very informal and consisted mostly of softball and dodge ball (which by the time MY kids hit school in the early 2000's was renamed 'bombardment' and there were limited 'body zones' you could hit BUT NOW many states and individual school districts have entirely illegalized/banned it). jr high had more stuff, and high school? thankfully i was excused from p.e. for all 3 years :thumbsup2

Agreed! Our PE classes were very informal and we had minimal equipment, mostly just those generic balls that were slightly smaller than basketballs, some jump ropes, basketballs, bats and softballs. That's it. We had no tether ball (whatever that is??), no suspended ropes, no trampolines, no obstacle courses, no swimming pools, etc. PE classes were mostly just a series of exercises in place while standing in long lines following the PE teacher's direction. The games were just a bonus for whatever time we had left after the exercising.

I started elementary school in the late sixites. From what I remember, we had defined modules that would last a few weeks each. I loved PE and the gym teacher. He was somewhat of a local celebrity and had a great affinity for squre dancing.. I still remember the girls get tossed a little too much by over zealous boys.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Dance-Everyone-Rudy-Franklin/dp/B00WYOIQYW -- This was my PE teacher

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter