• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ADHD Medications ok to bring in parks?

It depends on the medication being used to treat the ADHD. My doctor advises me to take a “vacation” from my medication a few days a week if I can so I don’t build up a tolerance and need increasingly higher doses potentially. My medication does not need to be taken regularly to reach and maintain a therapeutic dose, unlike some other medications out there. The benefits of my particular medication are evident after a single dose.

I agree with what others have said. WDW can be a lot to take in and it is better to be prepared with the medication than not have it and realize he really needs it. I’m not sure if you mentioned if you’re flying or driving, but if you’re flying, definitely have the medication in its original, labeled packaging so you don’t have TSA issues.
Your statement makes me feel better. I am a nurse, and his doctor has told us it was perfectly ok for him to be off of the medicine on weekends/holidays. She told us, it was good for him to burn his energy off. Plus, I like to see him eating like a normal kid, when he's not taking the medicine. He will not eat all day, once he takes it, and why it is important I give it to him after the breakfast reservations. I've had one of his teachers, tell me that perhaps I should give it to him on Sunday's because, kids always have a hard time going back to school on Monday. His medicine is lucky if it lasts from 8:30a-2:00p on school days. His doctor has made comments like I could give it to him twice a day, but i'm too afraid to do that, because i'm afraid he will never fall asleep if I give him another dose of it. Last year when we went, I brought the medicine and some days we gave it to him and some we didn't (I think the days we had breakfast reservations, we didn't give it to him). And the days he didn't take the medication were hard. I am surprised to read that they allow the glass bottle I guess. I actually get his medication mail ordered (which is another hassle, but cheaper). We are driving, so maybe I can keep medication in glove box if the weather is not too hot- we will be there in February. Last year I kinda hid his medicine in our room. I figured it would be pretty desperate measures for someone to be going thru our clothes to find a bottle of medicine, but I probably should do the safe, but we always have it crammed with other stuff.

Your statement makes me feel better. I am a nurse, and his doctor has told us it was perfectly ok for him to be off of the medicine on weekends/holidays. She told us, it was good for him to burn his energy off. Plus, I like to see him eating like a normal kid, when he's not taking the medicine. He will not eat all day, once he takes it, and why it is important I give it to him after the breakfast reservations. I've had one of his teachers, tell me that perhaps I should give it to him on Sunday's because, kids always have a hard time going back to school on Monday. His medicine is lucky if it lasts from 8:30a-2:00p on school days. His doctor has made comments like I could give it to him twice a day, but i'm too afraid to do that, because i'm afraid he will never fall asleep if I give him another dose of it. Last year when we went, I brought the medicine and some days we gave it to him and some we didn't (I think the days we had breakfast reservations, we didn't give it to him). And the days he didn't take the medication were hard. I am surprised to read that they allow the glass bottle I guess. I actually get his medication mail ordered (which is another hassle, but cheaper). We are driving, so maybe I can keep medication in glove box if the weather is not too hot- we will be there in February. Last year I kinda hid his medicine in our room. I figured it would be pretty desperate measures for someone to be going thru our clothes to find a bottle of medicine, but I probably should do the safe, but we always have it crammed with other stuff.

Yeah I had someone steal my medication off me in college (mine is a controlled substance too), so people are really crummy sometimes and I understand your fears on that one. It is definitely nice having a holiday from my meds because my brain definitely functions differently off of it, so it is a great continual check that the meds are helping (since every few years I get it in my head that I don’t need the medication and everything will be fine - and then my life goes up in flames).

Being on my medication actually helps me sleep better because it calms me down. I can actually get my brain to shut up and focus on sleep instead of 101 other things lol. You know your son best though and what he needs to thrive as himself. I hope your family has a wonderful trip and there are no issues with bringing the meds!

Yeah I had someone steal my medication off me in college (mine is a controlled substance too), so people are really crummy sometimes and I understand your fears on that one. It is definitely nice having a holiday from my meds because my brain definitely functions differently off of it, so it is a great continual check that the meds are helping (since every few years I get it in my head that I don’t need the medication and everything will be fine - and then my life goes up in flames).

Being on my medication actually helps me sleep better because it calms me down. I can actually get my brain to shut up and focus on sleep instead of 101 other things lol. You know your son best though and what he needs to thrive as himself. I hope your family has a wonderful trip and there are no issues with bringing the meds!
He has always given us trouble falling asleep at night- prior to ever taking medications. He just fell asleep around 10:30p tonight. Once he falls asleep he usually stays asleep, but occasionally runs to our bed, but falls right back to sleep. He runs laps in our living room every night, like he's training for the Olympics. It drives me crazy, to see him running indoors in circles in such a small space. We've tried lights out, lavender oils, lavender baths, decreased/no screen time. Sometimes we have sat in his bedroom for hours and given him back rubs, and he will not fall asleep. So we've kinda given up on most of our sleep advice from doctors, and just let him run his laps and play and we do always read a book. We try to do baths early, because his bath seems to energize him and wakes him up.

People will always say, "oh he's going to sleep good tonight" when they see him running around playing, and that makes no difference either. The doctors have suggested we give him melatonin, but i'm too scared to give him that. One doctor made comment about delayed puberty, and that was enough for me to not want to give it to him. We actually tried a blood pressure medicine that the behavioral doctor suggested, but I didn't find it worked either. He eats pretty healthy compared to a lot of kids, and I wouldn't say he gets that much sugar on a normal day to keep him wired. His sleep is slowly getting better. It used to be midnite and 11-11:30p. We sometimes get lucky and he will fall asleep by 9:30pm. Maybe he could benefit from a 2nd dose of the medicine and I will question his doctor the next time. She seemed to act like we could give him the exact same dose. The medicine is so expensive, and i'd need double the amount if we started that. We like to see more of his personality and humor on the days he doesn't take his medicine.

Just adding to the chorus: I have Type 1 Diabetes, and I've had no trouble bringing glass insulin vials, syringes, infusion sets, and testing equipment (including sharp lancets) into the parks.

Just adding to the chorus: I have Type 1 Diabetes, and I've had no trouble bringing glass insulin vials, syringes, infusion sets, and testing equipment (including sharp lancets) into the parks.
I had a security CM pull out his pump and tell me he knows where to go if something sent wrong with his pump when I went in I had so much extra stuff with me that day. I told him I was ready for anything ( I think that day my set came out 5 times)

I had a security CM pull out his pump and tell me he knows where to go if something sent wrong with his pump when I went in I had so much extra stuff with me that day. I told him I was ready for anything ( I think that day my set came out 5 times)

The *one* day I accidentally left my extra sets back in the hotel was, of course, the one day I sweated a set right off! Murphy's Law of Diabetes. I ended up missing the Behind the Seeds tour I'd signed up for. So cool about the pumper CM!

The *one* day I accidentally left my extra sets back in the hotel was, of course, the one day I sweated a set right off! Murphy's Law of Diabetes. I ended up missing the Behind the Seeds tour I'd signed up for. So cool about the pumper CM!
Oh no, I hope you were able to do the tour I have done it and it was really fun. Yes the time I used 5 set I sweated them all off 3 lasted a whole 2 seconds final went for the sure T and used a lot of tap to hold it in, Yes it was really cool to meet a CM with a pump ( I have met 4 the security, one at RNR one at BTMRR and a VIP tour guide) always on the lookout for a pump or tubbing

Your statement makes me feel better. I am a nurse, and his doctor has told us it was perfectly ok for him to be off of the medicine on weekends/holidays. She told us, it was good for him to burn his energy off. Plus, I like to see him eating like a normal kid, when he's not taking the medicine. He will not eat all day, once he takes it, and why it is important I give it to him after the breakfast reservations.

My son dances at the Y and many kids we know are on such medications. Most of them are IN dance to burn off all the energy. (they lose their minds over breaks). And most of them cycle the medications for weekends etc.

Some of those kids have taken melatonin, and while I haven't seen any of them have issues with puberty, some have rotten nightmares with it. I took a supplement with it and it took nearly 2 years for me to connect the dots to the increased nightmares I had.

One of the kids I know is taking the HBP medication for sleep. It seems to work.

I am surprised to read that they allow the glass bottle I guess.

They allow baby food in glass bottles, so it's not surprising that they allow medicine.

His medication is called quillivant XR. It comes in a dark glass bottle, and I have to draw it up in a particular syringe. I am thinking of bringing a syringe from Walmart, that has a cap on it though. Afraid it would leak. He's only 6, and I know some people think it's too young to be on these types of medications, but they'd understand if they spent one day with him off of the medicine :P In the past he had texture issues, so pretty much all medications he takes is in liquid form. I once gave him a chewable allergy pill and he spit it out. So the syringe is also another dilemma. Maybe a photo of the prescription bottle would be sufficient if it was on my phone, because I don't think Disney would want a glass bottle either in the park.
Our 7 year old was on Quillivant for several years and we travel frequently. Just go to your local pharmacy and ask for a small plastic medicine bottle that you can put some in to take the the park. The extra bottle our pharmacy gives us is 100mL so small, plastic and never issues with it leaking. But I still put it into a small snack size ziplock bag just incase it does leak. Hope that makes sense!

We give our son Quillivant twice a day because he metabolizes it quickly as well; no issues sleeping. He gets it at 6:30am and 11:30am.

So you've got liquid Ritalin for your kiddo... Nobody at WDW security will give it a second glance. Glass bottle or plastic. Put it in a plastic cough syrup bottle if you like. They won't care. I bring my days worth of amphetamines into the park in a travel size Tylenol bottle that's lable wore away years ago. 50+ times through security and it's never come up.

On the side issue, if kiddo is happier on the stimulant then dose him. It's his vacation too. If not, it's not uncommon for Drs to recommend an amphetamine holiday for most weekends and vacations.

Bag checks are looking for weapons, maybe alcohol, but any medicine you bring in they will not bat an eye at. Just bring it the way that suits you best and is the most convenient.

By the way, I often bring just one extra dose of something if I'm on something. Just in case, for instance, you get the syringe out and drop it, it leaks, whatever, I'd have one backup just in case.

Don't worry though. We bring all kinds of meds with us, on planes and to the parks (I have 2 kids on all kinds).

Our 7 year old was on Quillivant for several years and we travel frequently. Just go to your local pharmacy and ask for a small plastic medicine bottle that you can put some in to take the the park. The extra bottle our pharmacy gives us is 100mL so small, plastic and never issues with it leaking. But I still put it into a small snack size ziplock bag just incase it does leak. Hope that makes sense!
Let me clarify, you don’t need the plastic bottle for the park so you can get through security. We just find it more convenient when traveling because it is much smaller than the Quillivant bottle, weighs less and don’t worry about it breaking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter