• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ADHD Medications ok to bring in parks?

Cajun_country

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to make sure and verify, it is probably perfectly ok to pack my child's ADHD medication into the parks with us. I would think this would be ok but since it's a controlled substance, figured i'd ask here. I prefer to give him the medication after he eats breakfast at some of our reservations (since he won't each much during the day after he takes it), so that is why I wouldn't just give it to him at the resort. My son has autism/ADHD, and takes a stimulant to stay focused. We give him a liquid medication (I usually draw it up in a syringe). I debate on whether or not to give it to him when he's not in school and on vacation, but the past few weekends we've not given it to him on weekends, and brought him to birthday parties, he was pretty hard to manage. I used to feel like the medication made him somewhat of a zombie, but I think now, maybe he's on the right dose, and is better. I just feel like when he takes the medicine, he doesn't smile quite as much.

I agree with @gap2368 . It's fine to bring in the park but keep it in the original packaging with the prescription label on it. I bring my DD's meds into the parks in a pill sorter and have never been questioned but none of hers are controlled substances.

I have never had a problem, done both, once with the bottle once in a pill case, no problem either way. I will suggest to use the pill case with the exact amount of medicine you need for the day, If for any reason I where to lose or damage the whole bottle of prescription, to me it would be a hassle to replace it, because it is a controlled substance and the pharmacy trip and getting the Dr Rx It will be a mess.

His medication is called quillivant XR. It comes in a dark glass bottle, and I have to draw it up in a particular syringe. I am thinking of bringing a syringe from Walmart, that has a cap on it though. Afraid it would leak. He's only 6, and I know some people think it's too young to be on these types of medications, but they'd understand if they spent one day with him off of the medicine :P In the past he had texture issues, so pretty much all medications he takes is in liquid form. I once gave him a chewable allergy pill and he spit it out. So the syringe is also another dilemma. Maybe a photo of the prescription bottle would be sufficient if it was on my phone, because I don't think Disney would want a glass bottle either in the park.

His medication is called quillivant XR. It comes in a dark glass bottle, and I have to draw it up in a particular syringe. I am thinking of bringing a syringe from Walmart, that has a cap on it though. Afraid it would leak. He's only 6, and I know some people think it's too young to be on these types of medications, but they'd understand if they spent one day with him off of the medicine :P In the past he had texture issues, so pretty much all medications he takes is in liquid form. I once gave him a chewable allergy pill and he spit it out. So the syringe is also another dilemma. Maybe a photo of the prescription bottle would be sufficient if it was on my phone, because I don't think Disney would want a glass bottle either in the park.
Is that’s the case, do bring the medicine, and the syringe, be prepared at get a note from his Dr. and bring an spare Rx in case anything happens to the one you will bring with youto the parks. Disney won’t demand any doctor notes, but is better to have one in hand if needed. My ASD son started at the same age, lucky for us he is a champ taking pills. Have a great trip!

Yes prescription and over the counter medications are fine to bring into the parks.
BTW I don't have experience with ADHD/meds however it would seem counterproductive to give medication inconsistently.
If it works and isn't having terrible adverse effects then stick to it.

medicine in glass container is fine to bring in, I would not risk putting it in a syringe and it leaking in your bag, if you are worried about the medicine you can always leave it at first aid it sounds like he only needs it once or twice a day and it should be an easy thing for you to drop off. ( or you can get some bubble wrap and wrap it up, or if you can get a really big medicine bottle that pills come un would it fit this,)

I have a friend with controlled pill she takes she put them in a pill thing ( it one that has 6 little cups like the ones with each day of the week) I am always nervous for her if she gets stopped for any reason and asked why do you have these pill. I would always keep the name of the median and who it is for with you at all times just in case someone asked.

but you will not be the only person to bring in medicine I have seen a number of people at Disney taking median Pill, liquid, injection.

Can your pharmacy provide it in a plastic bottle? It’s worth asking. If not, I would wrap the bottle in a hand towel an place in a gallon-size ziplock bag. Florida law requires controlled substances to be in the original labeled bottle. Not that anyone is likely to question it or know that it is a controlled substance, but i’d be the unlucky one who runs into an issue with unlabeled meds.

Enjoy your vacation!

A glass bottle is fine to bring in and I wouldn't be concerned aobut it breaking either.
Baby food/formula, medications, and perfume in glass bottles are acceptable.
Its things like glass water bottles that are not ok.

Now I am nervous during my medical leave my doctor put me on medication I am supposed to take right after lunch It’s pill form in a plastic bottle

Depending on your state, it may be possible to request your pharmacy to go ahead and draw up the medication into individual syringes with each one being labeled. I worked at a pharmacy which would do this, but this depends on not just your state laws but your pharmacy and your insurance provider since not only do you have to pay extra for each syringe but for the cost of having it drawn up into the syringe.

Perhaps you could also have a duplicate label printed for the bag holding the syringe, if you're worried that someone might say something?

As everyone else has said, this is no problem at all. I bring controlled meds into the park every time I go, so do my husband, and two of my grown kids. Security sees them every time because they are in my purse, that they search. Sometimes I have them all in one bottle, sometimes pill containers. It doesn't matter.

If you are concerned about bringing the entire bottle with you (I would be .. I never bring my entire rx anywhere with me) then save one of his bottles and just put enough for the day in it, along with the syringe. Maybe put the two in a Ziploc bag together. Just refill with a day's worth of dosage each morning and leave the whole bottle in your hotel room safe.

What they are looking for in bag checks are things like weapons, alcohol or things that could used as a weapon. They are also looking for things that have caused issues in the past - like selfie sticks.

As far as glass bottles, they are mostly concerned about easily broken thin glass bottles.

As far as medication is concerned, we were one trip including a nephew who was about 7 at the time. The first day, he did not take his medication. He was very hyper and had lots of issues. The next day, he did take it and we all (him included) had a much better day.
WDW has a lot of stimulation and it’s all over and hard to escape from.
I was at a talk once about ADD, where the speaker explained living with ADD is kind of like trying to listen to a radio station that has s lot of static. If you are really interested in the program, you might be able to listen despite the static, but it’s very hard and takes a lot out of you.
If it’s not something you are really interested in, you don’t have anything to focus on at all and tend to just get completely overwhelmed

are you able to pour some of med into the bottle from the month before? that way you could only bring a few doses with your in parks picture on phone will not help you as it could be anyones bottle. make sure it is original bottle for the month that you take into park. I would ask where you get his med if it is possible for the one time if it is possible to get a plastic bottle. by syringe I am assuming it is one without a needle, one used to give kids/ pets that looks like a syringe but no needle. if so I see no problem with that as they see them most days in the parks for lots of kids. would not bring med in the syringe because it is a controlled med

Now I am nervous during my medical leave my doctor put me on medication I am supposed to take right after lunch It’s pill form in a plastic bottle
I would either keep a empty bottle from your med or get an empty labled bottle and leave most the med in your room in case you misplace bottle. you will have no problem brining med into park. it is a pain to have to replace meds if you loose all with miss place bottle. don't ask how I know but been there done that

Yes prescription and over the counter medications are fine to bring into the parks.
BTW I don't have experience with ADHD/meds however it would seem counterproductive to give medication inconsistently.
If it works and isn't having terrible adverse effects then stick to it.

It depends on the medication being used to treat the ADHD. My doctor advises me to take a “vacation” from my medication a few days a week if I can so I don’t build up a tolerance and need increasingly higher doses potentially. My medication does not need to be taken regularly to reach and maintain a therapeutic dose, unlike some other medications out there. The benefits of my particular medication are evident after a single dose.

I agree with what others have said. WDW can be a lot to take in and it is better to be prepared with the medication than not have it and realize he really needs it. I’m not sure if you mentioned if you’re flying or driving, but if you’re flying, definitely have the medication in its original, labeled packaging so you don’t have TSA issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter