Adding one to an ADR

MickeyHereWeCome!

DIS Veteran
Ugh! I've had our ADR's made for months now. We just learned that dh's sister would like to join us for part of our trip (we still aren't sure which days exactly).

Does anyone know if I'll be able to easily add an extra person to our ADR's or will I have to start from scratch? I can't call right now because this is a surprise trip for the kids and I'll have to wait until they are all in bed to make a call. When I tried making new ADR's online, most of them weren't available.

We'd be going from 6 people to 7, so we'll already have a larger table. I'm frustrated right now with having to mess with all of our plans. This is why we asked her months ago about joining us, thinking we might know before now. She doesn't seem to understand how important advance planning is:sad2:

Since you are unsure which days and you probably will not get what you already got, I would just leave it and then explain that you have one more when you check in. We had to add one more at check in one year and it was no problem. We were like you and alread had a large party. Going from 6 to 7 should not be a big deal. Hopefully I will not get blasted for this but I think it will work.

You can't change it - you actually have to make a new reservation and cancel the old one. I would recommend doing it in that order to ensure you don't end up with none at all. The challenge you may face is securing the time and maybe even the day, that you originally had.

If a bit of company makes you feel any better, I am facing the very likely prosepct of a similar situation, although my ADR date is only in 3 weeks. However having no info from the other person (my ex-DH who wants to meet us to spend some time with DD) I have made it clear that if no final dates have been given before my ADR date I will be making the ressies for DD and I as it is not fair to overbook and taking someone off the ressie has the same problems as adding someone on.

Sometimes you have to take the hard line. I would do whatever I can to try and add her on but if there are some meals where it is not possible, she can meet up after she has had her CS. I don't mean to sound harsh but you say that she knew that this was important - even if she didn't "get it". If you are going to try and amend the ADRs, do it sooner rather than later. Every minute that ticks by lessens your chances of getting what you want. Hopefully you will be able to re-do all or most close enough to the times you want.

ETA: I don't recommend just showing up with one more. It will be very embarassing and uncomfortable for you and your SIL if, and this is very likely, they cannot accommodate an extra person at your table.

I can't really tell you if adding one, upon arrival is easier. However, my sister living in NYC, can't understand the ADRs either. And at this time cannot commit 100%. So what I did was add one extra to the ADR, thinking it was easier to arrive and drop one person than to add one person upon check-in. I hope things work out for you. :wizard:

Since you are unsure which days and you probably will not get what you already got, I would just leave it and then explain that you have one more when you check in. We had to add one more at check in one year and it was no problem. We were like you and alread had a large party. Going from 6 to 7 should not be a big deal. Hopefully I will not get blasted for this but I think it will work.

I am not going to blast you, I am going to agree with you.

First, the OP doesn't even know which day her SIL will be joining them. Second, they have 6 already so 7 should fit at the same table.

As for embarassement, it is an honest change so I wouldn't feel embarassed. You can always call Disney Dining and try and book new reservations, but chances are you won't be able to get what you want so leaving things is probably the best bet, IMHO.

We had a similar situation in 2008 and could only add on to a couple of our ressies (no surprise, we could not add on to CRT), the less popular ones, but we did not need an entirely new ADR. In addition, my friend just returned from WDW yesterday and she found out in December that her FIL was joining them and she was able to add him on to everything with no problem when she called in December....so you might get lucky!

Trying to add another to our Le Cellier & Crystal Palace ADRs (going from 4 to 5) without any luck so far. I called Disney Dining and spoke to a CM and she told me it's definitely easier to call than to try to re-book online. When you call they can try to modify an existing reservation by just adding the new person. By doing it online you have to make a totally new ADR then cancel the old. So I would try calling if/when you get the dates confirmed.

This is good info to know.. orginally I was going to be in the parks with just myself & my 2 girls, but now there is an outside chance that DH will be able to go with us. I don't want to make new reservations until I am sure he is definitely going, but if it turns out that he can go I will try and call instead of doing it online. Thanks for the info :)

When you call they can try to modify an existing reservation by just adding the new person.

The phone agents, too, have to cancel the old reservation to book a new one. However, they have faster access to be able to check and see what times a reservation for the new party number might be available.

I am going to be in WDW at the same time as my sister, would it be ok to add 1 more to an adr for one? I wouldn't have thought it could be that bad. I am thinking of spending a bit of one on one time with my sister if the kids want to be alone (3 16 year olds are old enough to want to be alone some times) or with one of the kids.

First off, going from 6 to 7 may be a challenge, depending on what size table they currently have you at. I know when we ate at Le Ceiller, we were a group of 6, and there would not have been room for another person at our table.

it is always best to change your reservation before hand if you can. Disney will try to seat extra people, but they are under no obligation to do so. And at some of the more popular restaurants, like Le Ceiller, they may be booked solid and simply have no room for additional people.

Having said that, going from 1 to 2 should be no problem. I have yet to see a table that seats just 1 at any restaurant.

Going from 6 to 7 requires a bigger table, so I think you'll have issues walking up with an extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter