Adding one more person to excursion once on the ship?

KLF7

Earning My Ears
We are leaving in less than a month for our first cruise (7 night Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Fantasy). For St. Thomas, I was only able to book 3 out of 4 of my family on the Secret Sands Beach Getaway excursion. I have been checking regularly to see if I can add the last person but I'm wondering what I should do if I don't luck into that last spot. A friend suggested that I go to the excursion desk when we get on the ship to see about adding another person. When looking at the excursion specifics, it says the bookings are considered final and non-refundable at 3 days before the cruise leaves such that keeping a reservation for 3 people with the hope of adding a fourth might be regrettable if it doesn't go my way on the ship. I'm reluctant to book something not through DCL in the event that something goes sideways. Any advice from seasoned cruisers on how to handle this?

St. Thomas is a very easy port to get to a beach from without DCL. I wouldn't worry so much about it, as you're not tendering. If you do a St. John ferry solo you need to watch your timing, but just getting to and from the very same beach is not difficult. It's Smith Bay Beach Park. It's probably about $12pp each way and plenty of open-air taxis.

Secret Sands (Lindqvist Bay) is a beautiful beach. And can be practically deserted. The water can be clear and aquamarine. It has a nice bath house, but no concessions. The entrance fee is $5 pp. The waves can be very choppy, as it is not a protected bay.

I would keep checking availability for this excursion if this is the excursion you want to do - and you want to go through Disney. Up until the time comes when there are no refunds.

You have options, though. St Thomas uses open-air and van taxis to get people to the beaches. This is a major part of their economy. Blink and you will see another taxi. … However, as a quieter, less-visited beach, I would be sure to have a taxi phone number with me and add some cushion time for your return pick-up.

If you find safety in being in a beach with more people (not necessarily meaning crowded), consider Sapphire Beach (very close to Secret Sands) or Magen’s Bay (very wide beach with bath houses and concessions). To the left is a stretch of beach that is nearly private (And right next to bathhouse). This is a one-mile wide bay; protected, so less waves. … Taxis are abundant here for return rides. I think it’s the same entrance fee $5 pp, as they are operated by same company / government entity. 34017ED2-9EA8-45EC-A338-FA72AE853B96.jpeg

Magen’s Bay Beach (part of it)

Last edited:
Secret Sands (Lindqvist Bay) is a beautiful beach. And can be practically deserted. The water can be clear and aquamarine. It has a nice bath house, but no concessions. The entrance fee is $5 pp. The waves can be very choppy, as it is not a protected bay.

I would keep checking availability for this excursion if this is the excursion you want to do - and you want to go through Disney. Up until the time comes when there are no refunds.

You have options, though. St Thomas uses open-air and van taxis to get people to the beaches. This is a major part of their economy. Blink and you will see another taxi. … However, as a quieter, less-visited beach, I would be sure to have a taxi phone number with me and add some cushion time for your return pick-up.

If you find safety in being in a beach with more people (not necessarily meaning crowded), consider Sapphire Beach (very close to Secret Sands) or Magen’s Bay (very wide beach with bath houses and concessions). To the left is a stretch of beach that is nearly private (And right next to bathhouse). This is a one-mile wide bay; protected, so less waves. … Taxis are abundant here for return rides. I think it’s the same entrance fee $5 pp, as they are operated by same company / government entity. View attachment 730281

Magen’s Bay Beach (part of it)
thanks so much for the info! I would honestly prefer Magen's Bay but that excursion was all booked prior to our booking day. I lost my original 4 person beach booking, which might have been Shaphire beach, when I tried to switch to Magen's Bay when I saw it pop up. I had to cancel my original and then it wouldn't let me book Magen's Bay for whatever reason and within the few minutes I was messing with it, my original booking got snapped up! Sooo frustrating that there isn't a modify option to avoid that happening!

We did that excursion through DCL. It's a very nice beach. I was talking to our host while there and he told me that they only allow 1 cruise ship excursion to be there at a time and limit it to no more than 75 people. If 3 of you do it through DCL, the other person could go by taxi. The area of the beach that you are on is suppose to be just for those on the DCL excursion. However, it wasn't roped off like some other beach excursions we've done, so your extra person could easily join you. You might need to have 2 people share 1 beach chair though. Hopefully you'll be able to add the other person beforehand or find another excursion if you choose.

Can you just take a taxi there and skip the excursion? Taxis are super easy in St. Thomas. If you're just going to basically pay for a beach transfer, it seems like a taxi would be just as easy.

Can you just take a taxi there and skip the excursion? Taxis are super easy in St. Thomas. If you're just going to basically pay for a beach transfer, it seems like a taxi would be just as easy.
When we did the excursion to Secret Sands the only part of the beach that had chairs was the area that was for the Disney excursion. It's not like other beaches that have chairs all over that you can rent. We saw a few people(locals) come on their own. They walked past us and either brought their own chairs or sat on towels on the sand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter