Adding an AC unit

Id like to add a second AC unit to the over head, is this possable?

I have a 1996 coachman 32ft. the current unit is running good, but it just gets so hot here in the middle of summer, and Im one of those that loves it COLD in the house.

So I was wondering about adding a 2nd unit to the RV.

any thoughts?

I don't know the answer to the overhead installation.... but we have friends that visit the desert southwest frequently..... they chose to use an interior air conditioner similar to this one....

86Wg54hRnqmU1m7HJMWqQaqtUq9U0Lkck-fu_dZg-pdkB-IZujZ5XQ3FUriaWYNyp49I1SFE27og5DHB4WBx9wEbhetQpXDQVTemrIKhMh0XrpE1VCkiTb7rBG_jNcwoBCMZCIoXPhTwmGU4sxmXpxV2NozYnH21oGSA3jyCQaRXypCyJFkCLxfG

Only use it when needed, and it also performs as a dehumidifier. Generally under $300. HTH!

I can't help with the technical advice except maybe to suggest calling your local dealership if they have a good service department and asking someone in that department. I would think most MHs your size would be built to handle the weight of the second unit but I know the wiring would be the biggest issue. That and making sure you are not pulling too much power for the site.

I say if it will handle it go for it. I am also one who likes it cool. Matter of fact, everyone who camps with me always brings extra blankets for sleeping.:rotfl:

Do you currently have 13,500 or 15,000 btu ? Also, are you 30amp or 50 amp ?

I don't know the answer to the overhead installation.... but we have friends that visit the desert southwest frequently..... they chose to use an interior air conditioner similar to this one....

86Wg54hRnqmU1m7HJMWqQaqtUq9U0Lkck-fu_dZg-pdkB-IZujZ5XQ3FUriaWYNyp49I1SFE27og5DHB4WBx9wEbhetQpXDQVTemrIKhMh0XrpE1VCkiTb7rBG_jNcwoBCMZCIoXPhTwmGU4sxmXpxV2NozYnH21oGSA3jyCQaRXypCyJFkCLxfG

Only use it when needed, and it also performs as a dehumidifier. Generally under $300. HTH!

good idea!!! I found one that mists the water out in the exhaust!! so no dumping the water tank 240$ Im so there!

Ill just get a portable unit and place it between the driver and passanger seats facing backwards blowing into the camper. I found a unit that mists the water out the exhaust. Ill make an adapter plate to fit the drivers window, as well run a power cord DIREECTLY to the power post, thus eliminating the draw on the camper system. no electrical mods, no instalation, easy peasy
MF9000-SILVER.jpg

Adding a second unit isn't a big deal if you have an existing roof vent to replace. Some larger RVs are prewired for a second unit or you can use a surface raceway into a closet to get to a basement compartment.
Also if you have a 30 amp service and don't have an intellatec type loadcenter you may want to use a second 20 amp cord for the AC. Just leave it in the basement compartment until you need it then plug it into the 20 amp outlet on the pole.

Hope this helps

I added an extra unit to a 1980's class A I had.
They fit through a standard size roof vent opening & are easy to install. But you won't be able to add it to your existing ducted air, without extensive work.

You can just get a regular roof air with standard ceiling assembly, but then the problem will be the wiring. If you have a 30 amp, you can't wire it to your electrical box. The way I did mine was to run the power wire out the rear of the roof gasket on the unit, using exterior grade (UF) wire inside plastic conduit, over to one of my roof holding tank vents. I ran the wire down the outside of this pipe (modified the roof vent cap), which got me down into the holding tank compartment. I put a small 20 amp breaker box there, then attached a 25 foot 12 gauge outdoor power cord to it. Then when I got to the campground I plugged the 30 amp cord in & my 20 amp cord.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter