Adding a person day of to prebooked DAS passes.

Disfamilylife

Earning My Ears
A family member decided to join the trip to Disney World last minute, after prebookable DAS passes were booked. Since you have to cancel original passes to see what options are available for new passes, I am leaning towards asking at the ride if it is possible to allow the family member to join us. I figure if they say yes, great and if they say no, well we lost nothing by asking. Has anyone had any success with cast members allowing this? I’m not sure if this is no big deal or frowned upon. Thanks in advance.

A family member decided to join the trip to Disney World last minute, after prebookable DAS passes were booked. Since you have to cancel original passes to see what options are available for new passes, I am leaning towards asking at the ride if it is possible to allow the family member to join us. I figure if they say yes, great and if they say no, well we lost nothing by asking. Has anyone had any success with cast members allowing this? I’m not sure if this is no big deal or frowned upon. Thanks in advance.
I believe you should be able to go to Guest Services upon arrival at the park and ask to have your guest added to the DAS. I pre-registered our son yesterday and my husband hasn’t decided yet if he is going to go to the parks. (He loves the resorts and our son and I love the parks…it all works out.) The person on the video chat said if my husband does decide to do a park day to just stop in to add him on the day we visit.

I believe you should be able to go to Guest Services upon arrival at the park and ask to have your guest added to the DAS. I pre-registered our son yesterday and my husband hasn’t decided yet if he is going to go to the parks. (He loves the resorts and our son and I love the parks…it all works out.) The person on the video chat said if my husband does decide to do a park day to just stop in to add him on the day we visit.
Thank you for the reply. Do you know if the cast member was talking specifically about the pre booked rides or was it for adding the guest to be able to book rides during the day? Either way, I didn’t think about adding my family member to the pass to book rides day off. Thanks for mentioning that!

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if the cast member was talking specifically about the pre booked rides or was it for adding the guest to be able to book rides during the day? Either way, I didn’t think about adding my family member to the pass to book rides day off. Thanks for mentioning that!
Hmmm, good question! I assumed it was for both, but am afraid I really don’t know for sure. Sorry!

You shouldn’t have any trouble getting them added on for day of rides, but do make sure they’re linked in MDE prior to going in to GS or to a blue umbrella.

You will not be able to add them for the prebooked rides, as those need to be done 2-30 days prior to your visit. I suppose it never hurts to ask, but I really wouldn’t expect them to do much there.

Are you using G+? If so, I think your best bet is to have the last minute tag-along family member look for a G+ time that’s close to your prebooked time. Then you can still all check in together at the LL entrance.

Of course, the chat CM told us that very, very few of the prebooked DAS rides get used. One of the greatest features of DAS is its flexibility. The prebooked rides lack that, being that they must be used within the one hour window. The CM said that life gets in the way far more often than most guests expect. It’s apparently a complaint the hear over and over again, from people wanting GS to give them multi-experience (recovery) passes to make up for the fact that the party was unable to use the pre-booked DAS ride.

He said it is really hard, because sometimes the reasons are legitimate… and they wish they could do something, but it would set a bad precedent. On the other hand, there is no happier guest than one whose prebooked ride went down, and automatically got turned into an MEP after they thought they were going to miss using it.

According to the CM, the system was originally intended to help make it so they would have fewer people in close proximity in line at GS to get DAS. The prebooked rides were initially expected to help people plan out their day effectively and encourage them to “call” ahead to complete registration. Thus alleviating congestion at GS.

But what they’ve found is that most people do prebook rides, but very few of them get used, apparently fewer than 10%. The CM said he’s unsure how long Disney is going to continue the prebooked DAS rides. He didn’t think that would be offered too much longer, but did admit it was speculation on his part, or maybe wishful thinking 😜

Good luck, OP & have a great trip!

Do not expect Guest Relations to be able to add your additional guest to Advanced Selections. Day-of they can’t modify those, and even 2+ days in advance as you mentioned they have to cancel what you have to see what else might be available.

I suggest trying to get day-of DAS Return Times for those attractions and use that for the full party. Then maybe take turns who rides the Advanced Selection as a 2nd ride.

I would cancel and rebook the pre booked stuff. You’ll lose stuff but you’ll get other stuff in its place, I did this when I had to add someone to my trip like a week out. As PPs have said the reality of the pre-booked returns for many of us is they’re hard to use because of how unchangeable they are.

I would not just ask at the rides because it puts the CM in an awkward position, it clogs the LL entrance as your whole party is held there & it puts your late addition in an awkward position when the CM says no and someone has to stay behind.

Last edited:
I would cancel and rebook the pre booked stuff. You’ll lose stuff but you’ll get other stuff in its place, I did this when I had to add someone to my trip like a week out. As PPs have said the reality of the same day returns for many of us is they’re hard to use because of how unchangeable they are.

I would not just ask at the rides because it puts the CM in an awkward position, it clogs the LL entrance as your whole party is held there & it puts your late addition in an awkward position when the CM says no and someone has to stay behind.
The Same Day return times (sometimes called “day of” return times) are actually the *simplest* to use. Once you “get in line” on the app, you do not have to worry about getting there too late because the return time given is “return after [x] time”.

The preselected ride times are the ones that are unchangeable. You must arrive within the one hour window given.
|~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~|

At WDW, I probably wouldn’t risk trying to rebook the pre-selects if they are things your DAS holder really wants to ride, and you think there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be able to plan your time to use them.

On the other hand, if you’re fine with choosing from a shorter list of available rides and somewhat less desirable time options, then go for it. The GS CM will cancel your existing ride reservations and then begin looking for what else is available that can accommodate your now-larger group. Unfortunately, you could end up with them saying that there is literally *nothing* available in the park on a given day. And nearly 100% of the time, they will be unable to reassign the times you gave up, because someone else will have grabbed them up.

I don’t think there’s been a single person report here that they got their original reservation back if they called to check for different times. On the contrary— there have been multiple posts warning not to attempt to change any preselect times, or you’ll end up with worse.

In one instance, the guest was told that nothing else was available. As far as they knew, their original choices were still in effect, since they hadn’t ended up choosing anything different. So, they thanked the CM and closed the chat. Only to discover, days or weeks later, that the preselects they had originally chosen were either no longer there in the app, or they noticed that they had return times listed for a completely different ride that they didn’t want, at a time that was literally unusable for their party.

The guest was understandably upset, because they had not been told that in order for the CM to look for something else to offer you, your original choice must be deleted from MDE. It is the way their software works— there must be an empty “pre-selection slot” available in your and your linked-guests’ MDE apps. Only if there is an available slot will the system allow them to look fo potential rides & times in your reserved park.
IIRC, there wasn’t really anything that that could be done by the CM’s in the park.
|~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~|

Have a good trip, @Disfamilylife! Don’t stress over the pre-selections that you made before you knew another family member was going to join you.. You have a few options:
  • You can simply ride your advance selections together with your original travel party while the family member does something else— get a snack (churro, anyone?), shopping, people-watching, Dapper Danstending another of your kids who doesn’t want to do that ride, etc.
  • the family member can try to get a reasonably close G+ time, and you can all go on together,
  • you can choose to forget the advanced selections altogether, and just book a “day-of” return time for your whole party, for that same attraction after you’ve all entered the park.
  • Swap your relative’s MB with another adult from your party [Not the DAS holder, obviously] and let your relative ride in place of that someone— like maybe somebody really, really want a churro, but you don’t want to share (are you sensing a pattern?:tongue:)… Or maybe they want to pick up a gift when there are no little eyes watching 😉 [CM’s aren’t checking the identity of the rest of the party that accompanies the DAS holder, just that the MB being scanned belongs to someone who was in the linked party when the ride was selected.]
  • Or some combination of the above if your DAS holder really loves the ride and wants to go on it more than once.
I’m sorry this turned into a novella 📖. Hopefully it’s helpful.

Safe travels! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter